Is the U building a case to fire Richard Pitino 'I hope thay want me to stay' he says

scher215

Reaction score
http://strib.mn/1T8eEl8

Q I want to circle back to the story on the plane travel. To make it clear: You say that all of the excess spending was approved by the athletic department and you considered it reasonable spending even if it exceeded what was written in your contract based on trying to move the program forward?

A Yeah, so here’s what happened: I would go to Norwood (Teague) and say, “I understand what’s in my contract. Are there other ways to do this within the rules, doing it the right way?”

Q And what were those ways — did boosters kick in money?

A I have to be honest, I don’t really know. I just ran it by them, and they approved it. A lot of times things are approved and a lot of times things are not approved, but we are very mindful of our spending. I have no problem with being called a bad coach or told I don’t know what I’m doing, but in that regard we felt like in that regard we ran everything by our superiors and they had the right to say no or yes. They did that. I will say, allegedly, that we neglected to fill some gas tanks, and we can’t do that.

Q Were most of the additional flights recruiting-based, or how would you characterize them?

A They were all recruiting-based. That’s why all this stuff was approved. We don’t do it too often, but maybe one of the benefits is in July you find a way to be at a game in the morning in Texas and get to a couple of AAU games in Indiana later. Everything that we do, we do with the best interests of the university and the best interests of the basketball program in mind because we think it will help us compete. Every dollar that is spent has to be approved, and that’s how it should be.

Q The report said a couple of the flights were under 200 miles and therefore “unallowable.” Do you remember what those were?

A Truthfully, I don’t. I don’t know what that’s about. I don’t remember ever doing that, so I’m not sure.

I think this is such a non-story that's being fueled by the torch and pitchfork crowd looking for more reasons to dump Pitino. There are a good number of legitimate reasons if they really want that, this isn't one of them.

I'm guessing he feels the heat, sounded that way from the 1500 interview this morning. Say he actually get's canned... how long does he have to be assistant or go to a lower tier program before he get's a shot at another B1G caliper job?

I'm guessing he feels the heat, sounded that way from the 1500 interview this morning. Say he actually get's canned... how long does he have to be assistant or go to a lower tier program before he get's a shot at another B1G caliper job?

If I'm him. I collect my buyout over the life of my contract and coach my kids basketball teams. $7m added to what he's earned so far goes a long, long way.

If I'm him. I collect my buyout over the life of my contract and coach my kids basketball teams. $7m added to what he's earned so far goes a long, long way.

That sounds great to me, maybe he should intentionally bomb his interview with the new AD.

A really interesting interview. He asked tough questions and as usual, he answered them very truthfully and candidly with the appropriate level of humility. The answer about him feeling uncomfortable about having money being talked about is a very candid and appropriate answer. That has to be tough. People can criticize him for a lot of things, but he has never once acted entitled, backed away from criticism or passed the buck. Obviously proof is in the results and talk is just that, talk, but gosh I want him to succeed here. I worry that we are approaching a point of no return with the way fans are reacting to him, and the constant labeling of "Little Ricky" is belittling him and similar to people calling the Vikings the Viqueens when they lose (as if that is supposed to be a "zinger"!). He didn't ask for his name to be similar to that of his Dad's. Obviously his last name got him this job, but he has openly admitted that many times. But back to the point of no return...I really feel that the fan and media reaction to this plane/car rental thing is just amazing and way overblown. I can only imagine what his Dad must be saying behind the scenes, but good for him for dealing with it head on.

Time to stay out of the news for the next few months, recruit like heck for 2017 and develop the guys over the summer. This upcoming season could be a lot of fun.

Go Gophers!!

I'll be a fan of wherever he lands if we fire him before next season. I likely would stop being a fan of this team if we lost many of his players that I've grown attached to.

Whatever that means about my Gopher fandom, I'm fine with. I'd likely still follow Gopher Football, but the severe jerking around this Unversity has done to the basketball program I'd have enough with it.

I'll always be a fan of this program, the program than any player or coach, with that said I do root for our ex coaches, so if Pitino joins the ranks of the departed, I'll wish him well just like Tubby and Monson. Pitino's young, he could go back to an FIU type school for a few years turn it around and get another shot before he even turns 40. If he turned some other program around ad were still stuck in the mud the same people bashing him now will be bashing the school for giving up on him, this school and fan base is up **** creek either way so you might as well play it out.

I was appalled by the headline and front page placement of the budget overage story. How many people read enough of it to learn that all of his spending had been approved? It was just plain malicious and unfair piling on.

I was appalled by the headline and front page placement of the budget overage story. How many people read enough of it to learn that all of his spending had been approved? It was just plain malicious and unfair piling on.

+1. So true. The media coverage this is getting is just amazing. The placement of the story was incredibly deliberate, and incredibly out of proportion for the impact of the news.

Go Gophers!!

A really interesting interview. She asked tough questions and as usual, he answered them very truthfully and candidly with the appropriate level of humility. The answer about him feeling uncomfortable about having money being talked about is a very candid and appropriate answer. That has to be tough. People can criticize him for a lot of things, but he has never once acted entitled, backed away from criticism or passed the buck. Obviously proof is in the results and talk is just that, talk, but gosh I want him to succeed here. I worry that we are approaching a point of no return with the way fans are reacting to him, and the constant labeling of "Little Ricky" is belittling him and similar to people calling the Vikings the Viqueens when they lose (as if that is supposed to be a "zinger"!). He didn't ask for his name to be similar to that of his Dad's. Obviously his last name got him this job, but he has openly admitted that many times. But back to the point of no return...I really feel that the fan and media reaction to this plane/car rental thing is just amazing and way overblown. I can only imagine what his Dad must be saying behind the scenes, but good for him for dealing with it head on.

Time to stay out of the news for the next few months, recruit like heck for 2017 and develop the guys over the summer. This upcoming season could be a lot of fun.

Go Gophers!!

So, so well said Bleed! Great post! :clap:

Would not be fired for this alone, it would be for the total failure that he has been. Has any coach in conference history followed up a trip to the NCAA tourney and a win in such tourney by the previous coach with such a awful 3 year performance ? Was in favor of moving on from Tubby but this was a bad hire.

I agree. It was probably one of the shoddiest placements of an article that the STrib has ever done. I mean, seriously, front page above the fold headline? There aren't more important things going on in the world than some over budgeted air miles and some half empty rental car gas tanks?! The whole effort to stir the pot by the STrib is pathetic if you ask me. The little respect I had left for that Newspaper may have just gone out the window.

A really interesting interview. She asked tough questions and as usual, he answered them very truthfully and candidly with the appropriate level of humility. The answer about him feeling uncomfortable about having money being talked about is a very candid and appropriate answer. That has to be tough. People can criticize him for a lot of things, but he has never once acted entitled, backed away from criticism or passed the buck. Obviously proof is in the results and talk is just that, talk, but gosh I want him to succeed here. I worry that we are approaching a point of no return with the way fans are reacting to him, and the constant labeling of "Little Ricky" is belittling him and similar to people calling the Vikings the Viqueens when they lose (as if that is supposed to be a "zinger"!). He didn't ask for his name to be similar to that of his Dad's. Obviously his last name got him this job, but he has openly admitted that many times. But back to the point of no return...I really feel that the fan and media reaction to this plane/car rental thing is just amazing and way overblown. I can only imagine what his Dad must be saying behind the scenes, but good for him for dealing with it head on.

Go Gophers!!

Good post. I know nothing about him personally. I just think he is 100% first class in the things he has said to the media. He has been open and honest and gives information that is actually clear and interesting unlike so many coaches. I sincerely hope that he has an amazing turnaround season here - for the Gophers, for the fun of it and so that we can see a lot of jerks eats some crow. He will succeed somewhere- I hope it's here.

Good post. I know nothing about him personally. I just think he is 100% first class in the things he has said to the media. He has been open and honest and gives information that is actually clear and interesting unlike so many coaches. I sincerely hope that he has an amazing turnaround season here - for the Gophers, for the fun of it and so that we can see a lot of jerks eats some crow. He will succeed somewhere- I hope it's here.

One reason I am fairly invested in coach Pitino is at least based on his public persona, I genuinely like him. I like his mindset, his confidence, his whole approach.

(That said, I also dislike Kill and liked Brewster. So maybe I should stay out of these conversations for awhile :))

Would not be fired for this alone, it would be for the total failure that he has been. Has any coach in conference history followed up a trip to the NCAA tourney and a win in such tourney by the previous coach with such a awful 3 year performance ? Was in favor of moving on from Tubby but this was a bad hire.

Get a new moniker and post something positive, at least periodically, and you will have an ounce of credibility. Until then you are a troll, please just leave to Badgerville.

By the way that same coach you mention probably had two of the worst back to back recruiting classes in the history of Big 10 basketball- that's what he handed the current coach. Just for perspective. Adios

If he flops with the kids he has on next years team then he's a failure. We don't know if he's a failure yet and that why he should get next year. Again, we're gonna go through all this crap, the 2 win season last year, to not see what he can do with next years team??? That's just ridiculous to me. And if the video with Mason, Dupree, and Dorsey hadn't come out (however it happened) we likely win 4 or 5 B1G games and possibly one in the B1G tourney. Then everyone is excited and on board for next year just like we all were after Joey had tears in his eyes after beating Maryland! Please Kaler, please all Gopher fans, let this play out.

how long does he have to be assistant or go to a lower tier program before he get's a shot at another B1G caliper job?

big%20calipers.JPG

Here's a big caliper. He probably will be more successful using that than he is as a Big Ten basketball coach.

By the way that same coach you mention probably had two of the worst back to back recruiting classes in the history of Big 10 basketball- that's what he handed the current coach.

Nothing like gross hyperbole to really make a point.

One reason I am fairly invested in coach Pitino is at least based on his public persona, I genuinely like him. I like his mindset, his confidence, his whole approach.

(That said, I also dislike Kill and liked Brewster. So maybe I should stay out of these conversations for awhile :))

As anti-Pitino as I may sound on here sometimes I would actually agree with you there. I think he's really good at the media stuff and handles himself well. He does show some humility, and I really appreciate that he recognizes that he didn't deserve the job and needs to prove his worth by winning. I'd like to see that attitude translate to the on-court performance and off-court behavior of his players

(Wouldn't agree with you on Brewster or Kill, but I also like the Don and Tubby so what do I know)

Finally actually SAW the article - Reading online, I didn't realize it was the front page lead story, bold headline!
Wow. I bet lots of coaches would love to come here and deal with this kind of hostility from the local press.

Go Gophers!!

I think that he has consistently been the best interview in town since he got here (Maybe Flip was better.) and I appreciate that since we usually have to listen to an endless string of cliches and non answers from sports figures. I was mildly annoyed by the gas tank stuff (pet peeve) but, on the whole, it was a non story and the strib was piling on. Pitino isn't going anywhere this year and I hope that the speculation ends soon. The jury is out as to whether he can run a program. My hope is that the well isn't so poisoned that if he does have some success he won't blow out of here just to get out. It would be nice not to have to start over again.

Why ? I contribute significant funds to the athletic department. I have stated several times he should get this coming year but having represented several coaches over the years i know a really good one when i see it. He needs to make the NCAA's. Can not think of a single great coach in the 64 team era to have not made it by year 4.. everyone i can think of made it by year 3

Why ? I contribute significant funds to the athletic department. I have stated several times he should get this coming year but having represented several coaches over the years i know a really good one when i see it. He needs to make the NCAA's. Can not think of a single great coach in the 64 team era to have not made it by year 4.. everyone i can think of made it by year 3

Minnesota's or Wisconsin's? In-kind contributions of dozens of Tony Bennett Fatheads don't count.

BOTH. And UCLA as well. Some of us are college basketball fans. Do large amounts of money over 40 years count ? Or is it a homer contest where putting someone down is the game.

You must really be envious of Tony Bennett. Especially since you praise Pitino so much. Aim higher.

Coach K was year four wasn't he? Hell as bad as it was last year, Pitino had more wins and conference wins than Coach K's first three years at Duke. Couse that changed in a hurry in '84 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Krzyzewski

Top Bottom