Is silence golden or troublessome???

rpgopherfan

Reaction score
In my opinion it's both. Silence may be a sign that something big is the works. Forget any head coach that is in the final four, that would be a shocker!!! (pun intended.) If the rumors are correct that NT wants to hire the assistant staff as well as the head coach, than it may be that big time trouble is on the way. No self respecting major coach or highly respected assistant would capitulate to that demand. Are we headed to a D II or D III coach? If so I have one in mind, but I'm very hesitant to put any names out there!

In my opinion it's both. Silence may be a sign that something big is the works. Forget any head coach that is in the final four, that would be a shocker!!! (pun intended.) If the rumors are correct that NT wants to hire the assistant staff as well as the head coach, than it may be that big time trouble is on the way. No self respecting major coach or highly respected assistant would capitulate to that demand. Are we headed to a D II or D III coach? If so I have one in mind, but I'm very hesitant to put any names out there!

I think the assistant thing was only related to Flip. He has been out of the college game a long time and it makes sense to want to make sure he had a quality staff who could help with recruiting. Like you said, the silence could go one of two ways. Either we're about to announce something or are waiting for Marshall, or we're scrambling behind the scenes to see if anyone worth a damn is interested. It makes it pretty exciting either way.

I am hoping we are 7 days and 14 hours away from a presser introducing Mr. Marshal. NT will make a solid choice either way. Just curious how long the "Duke" of college hockey under performs in tourneys before NT slides down the bench 10 feet for some inspiration.

I think the assistant thing was only related to Flip. He has been out of the college game a long time and it makes sense to want to make sure he had a quality staff who could help with recruiting. Like you said, the silence could go one of two ways. Either we're about to announce something or are waiting for Marshall, or we're scrambling behind the scenes to see if anyone worth a damn is interested. It makes it pretty exciting either way.

you missed the premise of my post, the assistant thing may reverberating through the coaching community, I hope your right that it's just limited to Flip, but my gut tells me it's not true.

Silence from whom? Teague and co? The silence just is. I know some media think he should come out and say something, but what would he say? "Oh hey, still looking!"

Silence in terms of rumors? I attributed that much more to the weekend than anything else, as today wasn't really silent at all.

Silence from whom? Teague and co? The silence just is. I know some media think he should come out and say something, but what would he say? "Oh hey, still looking!"

Silence in terms of rumors? I attributed that much more to the weekend than anything else, as today wasn't really silent at all.

Did I miss something? what came out in regards to the U of M BB position?

How does Pam Borton stilll have a job?

Did I miss something? what came out in regards to the U of M BB position?

Mack withdrawing, Enfield interviewing at different places/getting interest from the U, etc. Nothing as major as Flip but I would say just as significant as almost anything from last week. Just more rumor pieces.

You don't like floor slapping?

God no, everything about duke other than the winning is something I despise. Not sure I could handle wojo, hell, if coach k was here I would have a tough time cheering for his teams

you missed the premise of my post, the assistant thing may reverberating through the coaching community, I hope your right that it's just limited to Flip, but my gut tells me it's not true.

This assumes Teague doesn't have the ability to explain himself to other coaches or write into the contract that the coach can hire whomever he wants.

God no, everything about duke other than the winning is something I despise. Not sure I could handle wojo, hell, if coach k was here I would have a tough time cheering for his teams

Lots of people are like this. I literally do not understand it at all. The only thing I have ever disliked about Duke is the predictability of how good they will be each year. I am jealous of that.

This assumes Teague doesn't have the ability to explain himself to other coaches or write into the contract that the coach can hire whomever he wants.

Perception may be reality in this case, If I were interviewing for this position, I would make it ironclad, that I have soul discretion on who I want as assistant's before I even talk to you, if NT refuses to agree to that I wouldn't even talk to him. Sadly this is what may be happening.

Lots of people are like this. I literally do not understand it at all. The only thing I have ever disliked about Duke is the predictability of how good they will be each year. I am jealous of that.

The constant whining to officials for calls and excessive flopping...I really don't think I could handle wojo and his floor slapping. I can tolerate one whiner in EE, not sure if I like handle a coach and a whole team that acts that way

I was OK with it for awhile, but honestly unless we're hiring Marshall, which is quite unlikely. this shouldn't be dragging out this long. I think Teague thought he had Shaka and has been in disarray ever since he said no.

I was OK with it for awhile, but honestly unless we're hiring Marshall, which is quite unlikely. this shouldn't be dragging out this long. I think Teague thought he had Shaka and has been in disarray ever since he said no.

Did you not see the other post about how long the last B1G searches lasted? We are way ahead of schedule.

Yes we are on par with past big ten searches. I still think it will be Flip

Did you not see the other post about how long the last B1G searches lasted? We are way ahead of schedule.

It matters when the search starts. Many coaches are fired the day after they lose their conference tournaments. In those cases, it might not be unusual for it go 10-14 days as many coaches are in the NCAA's/NIT. Our search didn't start until the vast majority of teams were done playing. There are now only 8 teams still playing (not counting CBI etc.) It's highly unlikely our search is being held up because our target is still coaching. So what's the issue then?

Yep. We still have a lot of rejections to get through before this thing gets done.

It matters when the search starts. Many coaches are fired the day after they lose their conference tournaments. In those cases, it might not be unusual for it go 10-14 days as many coaches are in the NCAA's/NIT. Our search didn't start until the vast majority of teams were done playing. There are now only 8 teams still playing (not counting CBI etc.) It's highly unlikely our search is being held up because our target is still coaching. So what's the issue then?

Not that it can't happen exactly like you mentioned, and it often does, but of the BCS jobs this year, were any (outside of Northwestern) fired on the timeline you mention? I don't know the details about Texas Tech (but I thought they were like USC and ended the year with an interim coach.

Give it another week.

Not that it can't happen exactly like you mentioned, and it often does, but of the BCS jobs this year, were any (outside of Northwestern) fired on the timeline you mention? I don't know the details about Texas Tech (but I thought they were like USC and ended the year with an interim coach.

Give it another week.

Texas Tech and USC filled today. New Mexico is literally the only job of note open. No one is leaving any of the teams still coaching. Even if we wanted an assistant from Louisville, etc. there's no reason they can't be interviewed/named. There's no reason for it to take another week, unless the .001% chance it's Marshall is true.

Ok I will release the name I think would be a good candidate if NT wants to name the bench coaches, all though I would leave the #1 chair to the new hire. NT is very well connected when it comes to people who can recruit top talent, so maybe he could name the recruiting coordinator. But check this guys record, please read the entire link, his track record is exemplary, he is a defensive and offensive genius in my opinion. I have never seen him coach a game so I don't know how he works the officials.

John Tauer would not be a bad choice.

http://www.tommiesports.com/mbb/coaches/TauerJohnny.html

gold. music has stopped. there's one chair, and about 2 dozen coaching candidates

Ok I will release the name I think would be a good candidate if NT wants to name the bench coaches, all though I would leave the #1 chair to the new hire. NT is very well connected when it comes to people who can recruit top talent, so maybe he could name the recruiting coordinator. But check this guys record, please read the entire link, his track record is exemplary, he is a defensive and offensive genius in my opinion. I have never seen him coach a game so I don't know how he works the officials.

John Tauer would not be a bad choice.

http://www.tommiesports.com/mbb/coaches/TauerJohnny.html

Well...thanks for releasing that! Are the Bobby Knight rumors true??

Top Bottom