Is it a money issue or a off work issue?

Look, none of us "better" people like someone who can't afford to go to Houston for a bowl game, but until we can start winning and price these people out, we need them.

I'll be heading down a few days early to take in the sights; Got a nice Enron tour booked.

Look, none of us "better" people like someone who can't afford to go to Houston for a bowl game, but until we can start winning and price these people out, we need them.

I'll be heading down a few days early to take in the sights; Got a nice Enron tour booked.

Make sure you tour all the Shell, BP, DOW, Haliburton, ExxonMobil, and Chevron corporate engineering buildings. Don't forget the engineering contractors like KBR, Foster Wheeler, Fluor, Mustang, and Technip. They're all either downtown or out on Katy Freeway (10) on the west side. You'll know it when you see the massive, extremely nice buildings all clumped together so conveniently for collusion and world dominating. On the way you can stop at any freeway exit (on to another 7 lanes of one directional frontage road from hell) to shop at one of the hundred identical strip malls with the exact same crap chain restaurants like Pappadeaux or Whataburger (maybe even Del Taco).

Ah, Houston. Lovely town.

Actually, I WILL recommend the Jewish Deli in the EdinaOfHouston, west of the city called Kenny and Zygi's. You'll swear you're in a NYC deli. Possibly go to Pizzitola's BBQ for some of the best hole-in-the-wall stuff you can find. Not sure if TexasAggie recommended either of them or can confirm if he likes em.

Are there too many Bowl games?

Well what really are bowl games. Before the advent of the crappy BCS(and the upcoming four team playoff), bowl games were/are an exhibition game sponsored and promoted by a community to boost their local economy. Who is to say they should not be allowed to do this as long as they can find two teams that agree to participate.

One of the reasons given for playing in a bowl game(especially the lower tier games) is to have 15 extra days of practice. Why not just allow all teams to have the 15 days of practice.

Just some thoughts.

Well what really are bowl games. Before the advent of the crappy BCS(and the upcoming four team playoff), bowl games were/are an exhibition game sponsored and promoted by a community to boost their local economy. Who is to say they should not be allowed to do this as long as they can find two teams that agree to participate.

One of the reasons given for playing in a bowl game(especially the lower tier games) is to have 15 extra days of practice. Why not just allow all teams to have the 15 days of practice.

Just some thoughts.

Yeah I don't really get the idea of rewarding a team who had success (whether that's 6-6 or 12-0) with extra practice time over other teams. Does not seem equitable. There are already enough built-in disadvantages for schools trying to improve their status/stock, being 15 practices down after not even notching .500 doesn't make sense to me. Especially when some teams well above .500 from lower level conferences don't even get invited to a bowl but then can't practice..

Just some thoughts.

19, you, my friend, have finally said something of which I 100% agree. I wonder how Parski0 can not agree with you on this.

Putting almost all of the bowls in the South is a crock. I get that most people with money are going to want to spend their vacations in California and Florida (or maybe New Orleans), but Texas? I'm sorry, but I only visit Texas because I have to (family).

Imagine how many Texas Tech fans would come to our bowl game if it was in Minneapolis. I think you could probably fit them all in one aisle.

My wife and I are using points/miles for our flights and rental car (One of the perks of being married to someone in sales.
). Paying for the hotel because it was too good of a deal to use points.

I don't think I ever spent more than $350 for a flight to/from Houston (took a dozen of them in a 2 year period from '08 to '10). Seeing the sticker price north of $500 was shocking. Maybe it changed since Continental was bought out by United. Too bad Southwest doesn't fly directly to Houston Hobby yet. I'm sure that would be a better alternative for those having to pay for the flight.

On a bright side, you can get a nice hotel for $80/night AFTER TAX. Kind of offsets the expensive flight a bit if you look at it that way.

I mentioned my opinion of Houston in another thread. It's not the world's greatest city but don't crap on it either. It might be the country's least visually-appealing big city(which I describe in that thread) but it's got a personality and great food, not to mention there's a ton of money in that city...and where there's money, there's a ton of options to spend that money (i.e. golf, shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc).

Here is the issue, folks. It is all about money, and if you can afford it or not.

If you can afford it, the decision is yours, and yours alone.

If you can't afford it, then you are probably in my money group: I don't even have enough money to pay attention.

My wife and I are using points/miles for our flights and rental car (One of the perks of being married to someone in sales.
). Paying for the hotel because it was too good of a deal to use points.

I don't think I ever spent more than $350 for a flight to/from Houston (took a dozen of them in a 2 year period from '08 to '10). Seeing the sticker price north of $500 was shocking. Maybe it changed since Continental was bought out by United. Too bad Southwest doesn't fly directly to Houston Hobby yet. I'm sure that would be a better alternative for those having to pay for the flight.

On a bright side, you can get a nice hotel for $80/night AFTER TAX. Kind of offsets the expensive flight a bit if you look at it that way.

I mentioned my opinion of Houston in another thread. It's not the world's greatest city but don't crap on it either. It might be the country's least visually-appealing big city(which I describe in that thread) but it's got a personality and great food, not to mention there's a ton of money in that city...and where there's money, there's a ton of options to spend that money (i.e. golf, shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc).

Yeah thank god for Houston's horrible land-use patterns that rely solely on spreading horizontally for infinitely cheap land at the expense of taxpayer dollars building 16 lanes of freeway plus 4 frontage lanes on each side all in an effort to quell congestion (of which it is still bad). Cheap land = cheap hotels. Can't walk anywhere in that town, always have to get in a car. No, it's not visually appealing, and yes, the sheer amount of people and money make for good food. Great weather in the winter but horribly hot and humid from April to late Sept.

I agree with you, Prof (despite our difference in another thread :) ). It is not fair for fan experience or how teams from the north are perceived as far as traveling goes. Has nothing to do with number/rabidness of fans, more to do with logistics/costs in traveling to places like Houston for most people. That's why the Detroit bowl tries so hard to get more local teams from Michigan or OH - greater chance of fans traveling.

It looks like everybody except for a few have maxed out their credit cards. Ain't the city, ain't the quality of the bowl, it is " WE AIN'T GOT THE DOUGH!!!!

work

If your a season ticket holder, I can't believe it is a money issue. Work issue? Unless you work retail, most companies I know are pretty much shut down over the Christmas holidays and it is pretty easy to get time off. I mean really, a Friday night game ( 8:00 pm ) on Dec 28th you have Sat and Sunday to get home. I think
Teague put his nuts on a chopping block in lobbying for the Gophers to be in Houston. I think every Gopher fan if they have the ways and means shouldn't be making half- hearted excuses on why they can't go JMO.....

For me it is not a money issue, it is work. I work for a financial company that is open for business whenever the New York Stock Exchange is open. We essentially have a lottery to determine who gets the days off they want for the week between Xmas & New Years.

It looks like everybody except for a few have maxed out their credit cards. Ain't the city, ain't the quality of the bowl, it is " WE AIN'T GOT THE DOUGH!!!!

I think there's enough varied responses to say that it all factored in. More than enough people said they would have found the money if it were the Rose Bowl. More than enough people cited work or the need to be home with family. Several people cited the matchup was not that intriguing. I think they all factored in to people deciding not to go.

I think there's enough varied responses to say that it all factored in. More than enough people said they would have found the money if it were the Rose Bowl. More than enough people cited work or the need to be home with family. Several people cited the matchup was not that intriguing. I think they all factored in to people deciding not to go.

we get it my man. you and some others are not going for various reasons. others are going to OUR bowl game for various reasons. enough already.......pretty please......we ALL get it. :)

we get it my man. you and some others are not going for various reasons. others are going to OUR bowl game for various reason. enough already.......pretty please......we ALL get it. :)

I was just correcting ruppert's misconception.. either he didn't read all the posts or didn't comprehend them. I'm not disparaging anyone who is choosing to go. I'm sure it will be a great time - I attended all 4 during my time in school for band and had a blast.

It would be kind of fun to have a gopherhole party in one of the local establishments for those of us who don't have the funds to travel to Houston. It would be fun to meet some of the people who post here often. Any suggestions for a place?

It would be kind of fun to have a gopherhole party in one of the local establishments for those of us who don't have the funds to travel to Houston. It would be fun to meet some of the people who post here often. Any suggestions for a place?

Due to very limited funds on this end, the best I can do is recommend a GopherHole party get together at Mabel Murphy's in Fergus Falls. There are also lots of decent motels there to handle the crowd that would show up and need overnight lodging.

All our kids and grandkids will be home for the holidays which easily trumps the Gophers bowl trip. No contest.

No other excuse needed.

Due to very limited funds on this end, the best I can do is recommend a GopherHole party get together at Mabel Murphy's in Fergus Falls. There are also lots of decent motels there to handle the crowd that would show up and need overnight lodging.

I was thinking about doing that but I heard that I-94 was closed west of Alexandria yesterday. Maybe station19 has a recommendation where for some place near there. Is Chet's open in December?

Top Bottom