Is it a money issue or a off work issue?

Reaction score
If your a season ticket holder, I can't believe it is a money issue. Work issue? Unless you work retail, most companies I know are pretty much shut down over the Christmas holidays and it is pretty easy to get time off. I mean really, a Friday night game ( 8:00 pm ) on Dec 28th you have Sat and Sunday to get home. I think
Teague put his nuts on a chopping block in lobbying for the Gophers to be in Houston. I think every Gopher fan if they have the ways and means shouldn't be making half- hearted excuses on why they can't go JMO.....

If your a season ticket holder, I can't believe it is a money issue. Work issue? Unless you work retail, most companies I know are pretty much shut down over the Christmas holidays and it is pretty easy to get time off. I mean really, a Friday night game ( 8:00 pm ) on Dec 28th you have Sat and Sunday to get home. I think
Teague put his nuts on a chopping block in lobbying for the Gophers to be in Houston. I think every Gopher fan if they have the ways and means shouldn't be making half- hearted excuses on why they can't go JMO.....

bingo. ruppert. Unless the GopherHole would have a Dr.Don to Houston fundraiser, I do not have the ways and means to be there.

A $600 flight to Houston is a damn good excuse not to go in my opinion. And I'm a season ticket holder.

A $600 flight to Houston is a damn good excuse not to go in my opinion. And I'm a season ticket holder.

I am a long time season ticket holder and I would come up with the money (whatever the cost) for the Rose Bowl or a BCS Bowl game. I am perfectly happy to watch any other Gopher bowl game from the comfort of my living room. Gopher season ticket holders shouldn't be made to feel guilty for not being willing to spend close to $1,000 per person to go to an exhibition football game in a second rate city.

It's a money thing for me. I wish I wasn't poor. I'm still thinking about going but I just don't think I can swing it.

Money thing for me too. I share season tickets with dad and brother but just can't afford a $400 flight + hotel + tickets right around the holidays. And that's if I went by myself. If I brought the fiancee you can double some of the costs, no way can I drop $1200 right now on it.

My "bowl games" are making it to TCF twice a year and going to at least one away game. Can't swing much more than that (unless it was BCS or maybe Cap One, then I'd for sure make it happen come hell or high water)

I didn't know that buying a $250 football season ticket means you should have no issue with spending $600 on a flight plus hotels, game ticket, food, etc. all for one single game in Houston.

I am a long time season ticket holder and I would come up with the money (whatever the cost) for the Rose Bowl or a BCS Bowl game. I am perfectly happy to watch any other Gopher bowl game from the comfort of my living room. Gopher season ticket holders shouldn't be made to feel guilty for not being willing to spend close to $1,000 per person to go to an exhibition football game in second rate city.

+ 1. This is exactly it for me. Plus, I manage a bank. It is really tough for me not to plan my PTO quite a bit ahead of time. Which really stinks. I would love to be going, but the airline tickets are a big one for me, with everything else included. To bring my girlfriend and myself, it would run me well over $2,000 to go. Tough sell to her.

But, like Go4Broke said, whatever the cost for the Rose Bowl or BCS bowl, I will be there.

Being a season ticket holder and being able to afford airfare, lodging, tickets, and food for an away game are two completely different things. People budget for season tickets. Most people do not budget for weekend flings to away games that would run around a grand.

Having said that. A BCS Bowl is worth dipping into the savings account for.

This is a silly thread. I spend over $1500 a year on my 4 tickets for me and my family. I have 4 kids ages 4 months to 8 years. To bring them down to Houston would be $2750 in airfare. That is something I cannot afford. Driving isn't an option because stopping to feed the baby ever 3 days would mean I'd be spending 4-5 days just in the car alone.

Ruppert, you and I must live in different worlds. I can save up and go on a short (4-5 days) vacation once every other year. But my company needs me in the office, and my family needs me at home.

When the Gophers make it to the Rose Bowl I'll sell my car and take out a loan so I can afford to bring my family of six to Pasadena. But I'm not going to do the same for Houston!

$$$ for me. If it was Dallas or Phoenix, fares would be reasonable. For some reason, Houston is $200-300 more.

bingo. ruppert. Unless the GopherHole would have a Dr.Don to Houston fundraiser, I do not have the ways and means to be there.

Well, it looks like my request for a Dr.Don to Houston fundraiser is not gonna gain much steam.

Darren that child must eat a lot at one sitting if you only have to feed him every 3 days.

I cannot go, my Mothers is in hospice care and I cannot be away as she may not be here that long.

$360 one stop on Frontier and US Air. No wonder you don't have any money if you can't find a flight for less than $600. What else are you overspending on?

I went to the UNLV game with my wife for a LONG Wed-Sunday weekend in Vegas, total cost of airfare and hotel for the 2 of us was $700 (and we were in VEGAS). ONE flight was $502 on Orbitz from Thurs-Sat or Fri morning to Sunday to Houston. Plus a $65 ticket (more if you want a better view). Plus $100+ a night for a hotel. Plus ground transportation (taxi or car rental/gas). Adds up to easily a $1,500 weekend. On top of that this is a week where any free time I have (or can take off work) is spent visiting family for the holiday season. And at the end of the day, you're in Houston (I've been there 6x in the last 18 months for work and it hasn't become any better a tourist spot for me).

I'm proud of the team, ecstatic Teague was able to successfully lobby for the better of the two bowls we were under consideration for, and honestly wish I had an extra $1,500 lying around, but to say "anyone with the means" shouldn't give a half-hearted excuse is forgetting that the median (pre-tax) salary in MN for families is right around $55k. $1,500 on short notice around the holidays is not easy to come by.

For reference, I spent ~$1,400 for the grand total of my season tickets (2x$275), flight/hotel/tickets to UNLV ($740), and tickets/expenses to see the U play at Iowa (~$150, stayed at mother in-law's). That's 2 road trips and 7 home games for those keeping score at home compared to 1 bowl game. Sorry but I will be cheering them on faithfully at home, much as I'd like to see them play.

Bought tickets through Gophersports but not going. My lovely wife has a year end project being installed that weekend. Now if they had beaten Michigan State and ended-up in the Gator Bowl on 1/1 a group of us were heading down for a week STARTING 12/31.

Next year, like we say every year, NEXT year in Florida!

Bowl games are fun, but we're currently remodling two bathrooms so not really wanting to add to the $20K-$25K that's getting dropped already....

I enjoyed El Paso, everything except the game in Miami, Nashville & Tempe. I'd love Houston as well, but it's just not in the cards. It's that case for some people. People aren't less of a fan because they can't go to Houston.

If it is to Houston Minnesota I am in for a buck!

I was going to suggest a trip to Fargo for a NDSU playoff game. Even shorter than to Houston, MN. Dr. Don would love that. :rolleyes:

$$$ for me. If it was Dallas or Phoenix, fares would be reasonable. For some reason, Houston is $200-300 more.

Dallas is a 4 hour drive to Houston. Air/ Hotel for 4 nights through Price Line is between 550.00 and 730.00 tax incl. 338 hotel options in Houston. The carrier is Air Tran one stop in Atlanta. Mpls to Houston. People who say it is a 600.00 flight are just to lazy to look.

Way to go Ruppert. You just turned the football forum into a class warfare argument.:)

Dallas is a 4 hour drive to Houston. Air/ Hotel for 4 nights through Price Line is between 550.00 and 730.00 tax incl. 338 hotel options in Houston. The carrier is Air Tran one stop in Atlanta. Mpls to Houston. People who say it is a 600.00 flight are just to lazy to look.

$550 per person, it should be noted. Tack on tickets, transportation .. you're talking $650 or so per person. I will give it to you that you can get down there for less than $600.

What dates/times were your flights, ruppert? Where is the cheap hotel relative to the game and Houston activities? Keep in mind, even at BEST, the trip is a full Friday off from work, possibly 2 days (or 1.5 if you leave at noon to make it to MSP/wherever). I'm sorry but saying that most people have Sat/Sun off (I'd wager there's quite a few who don't) doesn't alleviate the burden that is the Thurs/Friday problem for vacation time. I know generous companies give New Years Day off, some NYE. Some companies even shut down for the week between Christmas and NYD (forcing employees to use vacation time). Most don't and people have to work or take the vacay time. It's not a cheap trip considering it's only 2-3 days long.

I bet on the under for the win total this season and attended 2 road trips instead and still spent less than I would for this single game.

Magic, aren't you just a bowl of Christmas cheer. Sheesh.

Top Bottom