Is 2-10 a possibility?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...big-ten-part-one-the-minnesota-golden-gophers

For those who don't click on links, the writer thinks the best this team can do is 6-6, the worst case scenario, which happens to be his "official" prediction is 2-10. Anything is possible, but I can't envision any scenario where the Gophers don't win a conference game.

I'd say he's about right. I have us at 4-8, so two wins either way is in play. I haven't felt this down on a Gopher football team before the season since the Wacker years. We were a truly awful team last year and I don't see how the product will be any better this year. But hey, sometimes things all come together and the team surprises everyone. I'm all for letting things play out on their own, but I am prepared for being shut out by Iowa again...

We were a truly awful team last year

Boy, you're one heck of a "fan". Yep, 6-7 is truly awful. So truly awful that 53 teams had equal or worse records. If being just below the median is "truly awful", how would you define 2-10? 1-11? 2-12?

I am prepared for being shut out by Iowa again...

Your "fanhood" is really shining through. I'm sick enough of Iowa partisans spouting this nonsense, and now Gopher "fans" have to do it too? Awesome.

Yes, it is technically true that we were shut out by Iowa. But anyone with a brain who watched the game knows that the Gophers could have very easily scored 2 or 3 times. But instead of putting FGs on the board to avoid the shutout, Brewster actually (gasp) tried to win the game! But I'm sure you'd rather lose the game 12-6 than lose 12-0 and actually attempt to win.

Please people, stop linking bleacherreport.com articles.

Would you link some random fan's opinion on the upcoming season from another site and start a thread about it?

ANYONE can write an article on bleacherreport.com.

I hope the message gets through.

2-10 is NOT possible. Not with the senior QB leadership Weber will ultimately be providing. Not even a slight possibility.

Wisconsin is always a close game. Even in the worst season in Gopher history (2007) that game was decided by a TD.

Well, not always. Over the last 35 seasons, there have been 14 semi-blowouts (defined as a final score differential of 12 points or more (more than a TD and FG)), 9 complete blowouts (21 or more points). I think if you had said the final score is usually closer than it should be, you'd be right.

Well, not always. Over the last 35 seasons, there have been 14 semi-blowouts (defined as a final score differential of 12 points or more (more than a TD and FG)), 9 complete blowouts (21 or more points). I think if you had said the final score is usually closer than it should be, you'd be right.

You are correct.

Just to be fair with that one, I was at that game. The 2001 team beat Wisconsin & Michigan State, lost to OSU by 3 points, and lost to Big Ten champ Illinois by 9.

That Chester Taylor-led Toledo team would have finished top-3 in the Big Ten in 2001, without a doubt. That wasn't a matter of not being ready for a road opener; that was a matter of a football team being a lot better than the Gophers.
Hopefully the Gophers are ready, one game at a time.

You're right.

Toledo was very good back then and have been very good as recent as 2004. Toledo was the Central Michigan of the MAC at that time and won the conference in 2001. I remember that game as well and came away very impressed with Toledo rather than thinking the Gophers weren't going to be very good.

2-10 is NOT possible. Not with the senior QB leadership Weber will ultimately be providing. Not even a slight possibility.

I don't know if Bleacherreport.com was around 3 years ago, but if some clown had posted a 2-10 prediction in the spring of 2007, I suspect it would have provoked a similar response from many of the Gopher faithful. And we all know how that turned out. 2-10 would have been a stretch goal.

Like many others, I will be shocked and disappointed if we finish that poorly this year IMHO, 5-7 is probably the most likely outcome. But if the 2007 season taught us anything, it is "never say NEVER".

This is not the Gopher team of 2007. This team hasn't faced a coaching change and the cupboard is not bare. Sure, Brew has made a lot of questionable calls as far as coaching goes, but this team seems to believe in him and, lets face it, we have a lot of talent on this team. Things have gotten a lot more complimentary for the players in regards to the offense too. I just do not see this team crapping the bed this year, and 5-7 really would be my worst case scenario. I expect 7-5 realistically, and my shameless, kool aid fueled optimism sees 9-3.

I agree that there is a lot of raw talent on this team. Much more than in '07. Whether or not Brewster can translate that talent into results on the field is the big question.

Id say 5-6 wins is about right. Brew will be on the hot seat this Winter if they don't beat either Wiksy, Iowa, PSU, or OSU....

I was at the spring game. After watching the team for only a half, then looking at the schedule, I can honestly say that I told the guys next to me that I didn't see a loss on the schedule. This team can AND WILL beat everyone on the schedule:

- @Middle Tennessee St - We've never lost a game in this stadium. I don't see this being the first one - W
- South Dakota - Easiest game on the schedule - W
- USC - USC is not that good, especially defensively against the run. Kiffin is in his first year there. I think the Gophers can take this at home. - W
- Northern Illinois - They almost stole one in 2008. We will not overlook them. - W
- Northwestern - They lose their QB and a slew of receivers on offense, McManus and Wooton on D. Should be an easy W. - W
- @Wisconsin - They run like 5 plays. Piece of cake. - W
- @Purdue - We won there last time against a better Purdue team. - W
- Penn State - No Darryl Clark, no problem. - W
- Ohio State - 2nd easiest game on the schedule - W
- @Michigan State - If you can beat USC and Ohio State, this one is probably a 20 point blowout. - W
- @Illinois - If you are a Ron Zook believer, chalk this up as an Illinois win. I didn't think so. - W
- Iowa - Two words: Ricky Stanzi Interceptions - W

I was at the spring game. After watching the team for only a half, then looking at the schedule, I can honestly say that I told the guys next to me that I didn't see a loss on the schedule. This team can AND WILL beat everyone on the schedule:

- @Middle Tennessee St - We've never lost a game in this stadium. I don't see this being the first one - W
- South Dakota - Easiest game on the schedule - W
- USC - USC is not that good, especially defensively against the run. Kiffin is in his first year there. I think the Gophers can take this at home. - W
- Northern Illinois - They almost stole one in 2008. We will not overlook them. - W
- Northwestern - They lose their QB and a slew of receivers on offense, McManus and Wooton on D. Should be an easy W. - W
- @Wisconsin - They run like 5 plays. Piece of cake. - W
- @Purdue - We won there last time against a better Purdue team. - W
- Penn State - No Darryl Clark, no problem. - W
- Ohio State - 2nd easiest game on the schedule - W
- @Michigan State - If you can beat USC and Ohio State, this one is probably a 20 point blowout. - W
- @Illinois - If you are a Ron Zook believer, chalk this up as an Illinois win. I didn't think so. - W
- Iowa - Two words: Ricky Stanzi Interceptions - W

I'm convinced.

I don't know if Bleacherreport.com was around 3 years ago, but if some clown had posted a 2-10 prediction in the spring of 2007, I suspect it would have provoked a similar response from many of the Gopher faithful. And we all know how that turned out. 2-10 would have been a stretch goal.

Like many others, I will be shocked and disappointed if we finish that poorly this year IMHO, 5-7 is probably the most likely outcome. But if the 2007 season taught us anything, it is "never say NEVER".

Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while. The question is whether 2-10 is a reasonable prediction.

Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while. The question is whether 2-10 is a reasonable prediction.
That's a much better way of phrasing things. I guess it's possible that the new Marmaduke movie could win the 2010 Oscar for Best Picture, but it'd wager it's really not very likely.

I think 2-10 is a possibility and so is 12-0. this is a stupid post because anything is possible. and if a person is going to stir the pot and not be a troll wouldn't you ask the question, "is 12-0 possible?" but as always so-called gopher fans always try to cut down the program instead of asking the questions of why we could be successful. pretty annoying if you ask me!

+1

I can see where a casual fan who doesn't follow the Gophers would think the defense is going to be terrible this year with 9 starters gone. The thing those people realize is that many of the guys who will start this year saw significant PT last year. Also, the guys replacing the departed 9 starters are bigger up front and far more athletic across the board.

Therefore, I will be surprised if our D isn't the best it has been in a long time. Also, I believe the O-line is much improved from a year ago which will take pressure off our QBs.

from the article
'the bad news is it might not matter. Ultimately, there is no way the Gophers will beat the elite teams—OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and PSU—of this year's Big Ten.'

Wisconsin is always a close game. Even in the worst season in Gopher history (2007) that game was decided by a TD. Plus, people underestimate how much losing O'Brien Shoffield will hurt the Badger D. PSU is going to be worse than anyone thinks they will be due to the Nits QB/O-line issues. No chance we beat next year's National Champion Ohio State, and Iowa would be tough to beat (but again, it's a rivalry game. If McKnight doesn't drop a TD pass in the first quarter last year that game could have been an entirely different story).

However, I believe the Gophers are more talented than Northwestern or Purdue. I think we have a good shot at Michigan State. Illinois is a mess, and after last year's embarrassing loss to the Illini the Gophers should be extremely focused when they head to Champaign.

I believe this team wins 7+ games this year, with an upset of either Wisconsin or Penn State.[/QUOTE]

Still going with this, Allie?

I'd say he's about right. I have us at 4-8, so two wins either way is in play. I haven't felt this down on a Gopher football team before the season since the Wacker years. We were a truly awful team last year and I don't see how the product will be any better this year. But hey, sometimes things all come together and the team surprises everyone. I'm all for letting things play out on their own, but I am prepared for being shut out by Iowa again...

Wrong again. 4-8 was clearly far too optimistic...

+1

I can see where a casual fan who doesn't follow the Gophers would think the defense is going to be terrible this year with 9 starters gone. The thing those people realize is that many of the guys who will start this year saw significant PT last year. Also, the guys replacing the departed 9 starters are bigger up front and far more athletic across the board.

Therefore, I will be surprised if our D isn't the best it has been in a long time. Also, I believe the O-line is much improved from a year ago which will take pressure off our QBs.

from the article
'the bad news is it might not matter. Ultimately, there is no way the Gophers will beat the elite teams—OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and PSU—of this year's Big Ten.'

Wisconsin is always a close game. Even in the worst season in Gopher history (2007) that game was decided by a TD. Plus, people underestimate how much losing O'Brien Shoffield will hurt the Badger D. PSU is going to be worse than anyone thinks they will be due to the Nits QB/O-line issues. No chance we beat next year's National Champion Ohio State, and Iowa would be tough to beat (but again, it's a rivalry game. If McKnight doesn't drop a TD pass in the first quarter last year that game could have been an entirely different story).

However, I believe the Gophers are more talented than Northwestern or Purdue. I think we have a good shot at Michigan State. Illinois is a mess, and after last year's embarrassing loss to the Illini the Gophers should be extremely focused when they head to Champaign.

I believe this team wins 7+ games this year, with an upset of either Wisconsin or Penn State.

They can still win six more?

N'western, Wisconsin, Iowa, Mich St, Ohio St, Penn St will all rape us.

Illinois and Purdue are the only chances we've got -- and they're not good chances.

2-10?? sorry, we have no chance against any of our other opponents-zero. in your hearts you know I'm right. now, put the kool aid down and grab something a bit more potent, we're all going to need it to make it to 2011

+1

from the article

I believe this team wins 7+ games this year, with an upset of either Wisconsin or Penn State.
Now that's funny.

Top Bottom