Is 2-10 a possibility?

Simply save the link and point it out to the author at the end of the season. I think 9-3 is as likely as 2-10, not that 9-3 is my official prediction, I just don't see 2-10.

Our worst case is 0-12 and our best case is 12-0.

I am sure he got 2 gold stars for this article though in his writing class.

Is 2-10 a possibility? Yes. But then again, so it a winning record and a bowl game.

Is a season without at least some heart-wrenching pain a possibility? Nope.

My favorite part is when he says they will go 2-10 but Brewster won't be fired.....

This dude is an uber tool and doesn't know anything...

Please people, stop linking bleacherreport.com articles.

Would you link some random fan's opinion on the upcoming season from another site and start a thread about it?

ANYONE can write an article on bleacherreport.com.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...big-ten-part-one-the-minnesota-golden-gophers

For those who don't click on links, the writer thinks the best this team can do is 6-6, the worst case scenario, which happens to be his "official" prediction is 2-10. Anything is possible, but I can't envision any scenario where the Gophers don't win a conference game.

I don't buy it.
I fail to see how either NW or MSU are going to be better this year, ILL is circling the bowl, we get all of our tough big time opponents at home, which at least gives us a leg up to upset. Wisky is a grudge match we always compete in under Brewster. Honestly I see a 2-2 non conference record and a 4-4 conference record with one big upset and one big klunker. It's a young but talented squad, we're going to see alot of playing up and down to competition.
I'll say 6-6 with a heartbreaking loss to MTSU and USC, wins against NW, MSU, ILL, a klunker against Purdue and an upset against either PSU or wisky.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...big-ten-part-one-the-minnesota-golden-gophers

For those who don't click on links, the writer thinks the best this team can do is 6-6, the worst case scenario, which happens to be his "official" prediction is 2-10. Anything is possible, but I can't envision any scenario where the Gophers don't win a conference game.

"The Gophers traveling trophy case has been empty during coach Tim Brewster's entire three-year tenure"....and replaced by the Fulmer Cup :rolleyes:

Would you link some random fan's opinion on the upcoming season from another site and start a thread about it?

I agree.

Would you link some random fan's opinion on the upcoming season from another site and start a thread about it? ANYONE can write an article on bleacherreport.com.

Um, people link to fringebowlteam.blogspot.com and start threads about MV's posts all the time.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but people don't need to be credentialed media members to have valid and worthwhile opinions on topics. This guy's article sucks, but it's because he's a terrible writer, not because he's not a credentialed media member.

+1

I can see where a casual fan who doesn't follow the Gophers would think the defense is going to be terrible this year with 9 starters gone. The thing those people realize is that many of the guys who will start this year saw significant PT last year. Also, the guys replacing the departed 9 starters are bigger up front and far more athletic across the board.

Therefore, I will be surprised if our D isn't the best it has been in a long time. Also, I believe the O-line is much improved from a year ago which will take pressure off our QBs.

from the article
'the bad news is it might not matter. Ultimately, there is no way the Gophers will beat the elite teams—OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and PSU—of this year's Big Ten.'

Wisconsin is always a close game. Even in the worst season in Gopher history (2007) that game was decided by a TD. Plus, people underestimate how much losing O'Brien Shoffield will hurt the Badger D. PSU is going to be worse than anyone thinks they will be due to the Nits QB/O-line issues. No chance we beat next year's National Champion Ohio State, and Iowa would be tough to beat (but again, it's a rivalry game. If McKnight doesn't drop a TD pass in the first quarter last year that game could have been an entirely different story).

However, I believe the Gophers are more talented than Northwestern or Purdue. I think we have a good shot at Michigan State. Illinois is a mess, and after last year's embarrassing loss to the Illini the Gophers should be extremely focused when they head to Champaign.

I believe this team wins 7+ games this year, with an upset of either Wisconsin or Penn State.

Um, people link to fringebowlteam.blogspot.com and start threads about MV's posts all the time.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but people don't need to be credentialed media members to have valid and worthwhile opinions on topics. This guy's article sucks, but it's because he's a terrible writer, not because he's not a credentialed media member.
Thank you. I write a ton of articles on bleacherreport about the Gophers. I wrote an article about Seantrel Henderson that ended up on here, that's how I found my way to this board. I don't have all the answers, but I think that anything that gets people talking/debating about the football program is a good thing. Can anyone write an article at bleacherreport? Absolutely. Some of us are actually season ticket holders and big, big fans of the program who just want to get the word out. There's a bunch of garbage on the site, but there's some pretty good content out there too.

Anything's possible, it's possible that the Gophers could be 13-0 and national champions, it's possible the Gophers could be 0-12. But 2-10, pretty unlikely. The author lists 2-10 as the worst possible scenario, 6-6 as the best, then goes on to predict a 2-10 season. Who picks the worst possible or best possible scenarios as what they think the most likely scenario will be?

Given the lack of returning experience, it is difficult to project anything specifically.

And then he goes on to do just that. You can't just say "This team lost starters, so they will be bad." It might be true, but you have to do some actual research.

In his best possible scenario, he has the defense performing about as well as in 2008, and the offense improving, but still thinks that anything beyond last year's 6 win record is not possible. Some of these writers don't seem to know what "best possible" means.

Anything's possible, it's possible that the Gophers could be 13-0 and national champions, it's possible the Gophers could be 0-12. But 2-10, pretty unlikely. The author lists 2-10 as the worst possible scenario, 6-6 as the best, then goes on to predict a 2-10 season. Who picks the worst possible or best possible scenarios as what they think the most likely scenario will be?

And then he goes on to do just that. You can't just say "This team lost starters, so they will be bad." It might be true, but you have to do some actual research.

In his best possible scenario, he has the defense performing about as well as in 2008, and the offense improving, but still thinks that anything beyond last year's 6 win record is not possible. Some of these writers don't seem to know what "best possible" means.

Probably views the schedule as harder this year, so even if the team is the same or even slightly better, the record won't necessarily reflect that.

If Minnesota beats Middle TN State, 2-10 is not a possibility.
If Minnesota loses to Middle TN State, 2-10 is a possibility.

We will know a lot about this team after the first game.

If Minnesota beats Middle TN State, 2-10 is not a possibility.
If Minnesota loses to Middle TN State, 2-10 is a possibility.

We will know a lot about this team after the first game.

I was kind of thinking that about the Northern Illinois game.

I was kind of thinking that about the Northern Illinois game.

If MN loses to Northern Illinois, it likely means that they already lost to MTSU because in my opinion MTSU>N. Illinois
Though I could be wrong.
If MN loses to both of them, 1-11 is a possibility.

**I think Minnesota will be 3-0 going into the USC game**

Actually, anything from 1-11 to 13-0 is possible at that point (including 2-10).

You are a tool. If Minnesota beats MTSU, yes 1-11 is still a possibility. If MN beats MTSU, it means they are good enough to play with at least 2/3rds of the teams on the schedule and I would bank on them winning at least two more. But you already knew that, I don't know why i just responded

The one thing in this tool's article that had even a touch of logic in it was his comment on the MTSU game. I coud see this being a trap game for us. Minnesota has a long and storied tradition of crapping the bed in our first road game against mid-major (or lower) opponents. I remember getting our dicks kicked vs. Toledo in an opening road game one year under Mason. And usually these buttwhuppin's are the harbinger of a disappointing season. Remember Brewster's first road game? Things kinda went downhill from there.

I'd bet the farm we finish better than 2-10. I'd be asking for odds if you wanted me to take a bet that the Gophers finish higher than .500. That said, either one can happen.

The one thing in this tool's article that had even a touch of logic in it was his comment on the MTSU game. I coud see this being a trap game for us. Minnesota has a long and storied tradition of crapping the bed in our first road game against mid-major (or lower) opponents. I remember getting our dicks kicked vs. Toledo in an opening road game one year under Mason. And usually these buttwhuppin's are the harbinger of a disappointing season. Remember Brewster's first road game? Things kinda went downhill from there.

I'd bet the farm we finish better than 2-10. I'd be asking for odds if you wanted me to take a bet that the Gophers finish higher than .500. That said, either one can happen.

Agreed. I've been saying for awhile that MTSU is going to be a measuring stick game. They are as athletic at the skill positions as a decent BCS conference team. They have a dual threat experienced freakish talent in Dwight Dasher. However, if this year's Gophers are any good at all the maroon and gold should dominate both sides of the line of scrimmage leading to a win of 10+ points.

You are a tool. If Minnesota beats MTSU, yes 1-11 is still a possibility. If MN beats MTSU, it means they are good enough to play with at least 2/3rds of the teams on the schedule and I would bank on them winning at least two more. But you already knew that, I don't know why i just responded

If using words as what they actually mean constitutes me as a "tool", then put a price tag on me and hang me up in Hardware Hank.

The MTSU game really is huge. If we lose that, I could see stumbling through a bad win over USD much like SDSU last year, a blow-out loss to USC and then the wheels coming off. Not saying it will happen, but the players aren't stupid about the temperature of Brew's seat. If we get off to a 1-4 start or something along those lines, I think the wheels will come all the way off given the schedule.

If you are looking at this team from the complete outside, seeing an offense that struggling MIGHTILY, and that might even be putting it lightly, then you see that one of the few dudes that produced (and was a 3rd round NFL draft pick, and might have been worthy of higher) is now gone, your offensive line consists of the same crew who sometimes just didn't look the part, you have the same RBs who were largely ineffective last season, and it just looks bad. You can't even try to argue that.

Then, you have a defense, that while it was solid, wasn't exactly Baltimore Ravens 2000. And they lose 9 of their 11 starters, including an LB crew who all are getting NFL looks and were very productive last season. There are a lotta young guys trying to replace a lot of seniors, and It looks iffy at best.

The unknown is why someone can justifiably make a prediction like 2-10 and not look like a complete idiot at the moment. We can't make assumptions about the players coming in to play who haven't had the snaps to prove they will undoubtedly be what we expect them to be. You just never know. From my perspective, however, I think it is reasonable to presume that this team could easily be probably just as good as it was last year if not better. Things like a more experienced offensive coordinator and offensive line should yield likely better results if not at least more consistent results from the offense. All of the talent on defense from the previous two recruiting classes are now hitting the field full force. If many of those players can produce at levels you would expect for their "rankings" or "hype" coming in, the defense should be able to hold firm at least. Not every player needs to pan out, but you need some to hit on some of their potential this coming season. I think we will see that.

Like I've said all along, I'm expecting 6, 7 wins perhaps, with finally one "big" win, probably at home against one of the big 4. 9 would be shocking to me, cause really, that is a beast schedule we got going this year. 2 would also be shocking. I'd say my "worst" thought is probably 4 wins. I think this team has too much talent to do worse than that.

I could see stumbling through a bad win over USD much like SDSU last year

I respectfully disagree with you here. SDSU is on a different level than USD. Granted, we shouldn't have let the Jacks hang with us like we did, but they were a legitimately good I-AA team last year. If we don't absolutely pound the 'yotes, by like 3-4 TDs minimum, something is seriously wrong with the Brewster administration.

Your overall point is absolutely right, though - the MTSU game is a great barometer for the season and will give us a good indication as to whether we are finally ready to sit at the big boy table.

It should be noted that the article's writer is a Hawkeye fan who lives in Madison, so I'm assuming there's just a touch of anti-Gopher bias in his system to start with. I don't care who you are, 2-10 seems highly unlikely to me, which is why I posted it over here. Good to see I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I remember getting our dicks kicked vs. Toledo in an opening road game one year under Mason.

Just to be fair with that one, I was at that game. The 2001 team beat Wisconsin & Michigan State, lost to OSU by 3 points, and lost to Big Ten champ Illinois by 9.

That Chester Taylor-led Toledo team would have finished top-3 in the Big Ten in 2001, without a doubt. That wasn't a matter of not being ready for a road opener; that was a matter of a football team being a lot better than the Gophers.

Hopefully the Gophers are ready, one game at a time.

I respectfully disagree with you here. SDSU is on a different level than USD. Granted, we shouldn't have let the Jacks hang with us like we did, but they were a legitimately good I-AA team last year. If we don't absolutely pound the 'yotes, by like 3-4 TDs minimum, something is seriously wrong with the Brewster administration.

Maybe, I honestly don't know the intimate details from one year to the next. I do know USD has won its fair share when they play head-to-head. Either way the Gophers should win by 3-4 TD's as you say, but they also should have done that last year.

Click on the guy's name and this is the first line of his bio: "I'm an Iowa Hawkeye fan living in Madison, Wisconsin." That's all we need to know.

Top Bottom