Irving to the end zone, can’t compete at MN

He wasn’t going to get a fair chance to start here this season over Mo. He would get Carrys but he wants to be the man
He would’ve gotten a fair chance to start. He wouldn’t have started, but no reason to think he wouldn’t have had a fair chance.

No, I remember PJ’s stupid “we can’t call him Bucky because of the Badgers” and saying they’ll call him Bucko. What I’m asking is did anyone actually ever call him Bucko. I always heard him referred to as Bucky 🤷‍♂️
Ya, I don't know. I do remember yelling at the TV the first week it was story...the TV announcers thought it was worthy of their commentary all day long.
In a locker room you always got guys looking to tick people off in fun...it's who they are. I'm guessing he was mocked by a few guys havin' fun.

I quoted the comments from broadcast tonight stating Irving wasn’t fond of the change from “Bucky” to “Bucko” but that isn’t the reason he left, and that was followed by someone proving a link to an article discussing Irving’s departure from MN to Oregon, where it is repeated that he didn’t like the switch to “Bucko” but that wasn’t the reason he left.

Those posts were followed by a discussion about how Irving left because he didn’t like “Bucko”.

Anyone still wonder how rumors start?

No, I remember PJ’s stupid “we can’t call him Bucky because of the Badgers” and saying they’ll call him Bucko. What I’m asking is did anyone actually ever call him Bucko. I always heard him referred to as Bucky 🤷‍♂️

I don't think there was any love lost when Irving left. He didn't like being called Bucko and Mo rubbed it in a bit.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BUCKOOOOO !!! <a href="https://t.co/DHM3x4z0SI">https://t.co/DHM3x4z0SI</a></p>&mdash; Mohamed Ibrahim (@_MoIbrahim) <a href="">December 7, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And if they were smart he and Mo could have been on the field at the same time quite a bit. With CAB going down he could have easily gotten 40-50 touches in the passing game.
Did you watch our offense? We threw to the running backs about five times all season.

Did you watch our offense? We threw to the running backs about five times all season.

The Gophs chose to usually go 3 wides and use our top TE in the passing game and use the RB as an extra blocker in most situations. I think that's the right decision when BSF is your TE.

Ideally you have both Mo and Bucky - they are two different types of players. Mo is more consistent in churning yardage but doesn't have the speed to house one from long. Got chased down past the secondary on multiple occasions this year. It killed us because our offense was so bad we couldn’t score without an explosive play TD. Still a good back and great dude.

Bucky is way more dynamic with the ball in his hands, including catching out out of the backfield. Doesn’t have the same abilities in a slow developing interior run. If he is here, he definitely takes carries from Mo and rightfully so.

I really dislike how painfully slow our runs develop. Bucky left for several compounding reasons, mainly NIL opportunity (and he was right to do that), but it‘s also stupid to try to change a kids name.

Wasn't it reported, or at least rumored, that Bucky's family lives in a pretty rough area of Chicago and he wanted some money to help them out? If so it's really hard for me to blame a kid for feeling the need to do that, and still getting to play for a good program in Oregon. From what I understand he was nothing but a great teammate and person while he was here, and he didn't quit mid-season like a lot of guys do. I'll be rooting for him and I'm happy to see him succeed.

he left because he got a 1/4 million dollars....easy decision for him.

he looked awesome last night. And would have looked awesome in maroon and gold if he stayed. just part of the college football game now. he was the first to leave for a big NIL and he certainly wont be the last

Bucky didn't want to be 2nd best in 2023 so he was going to leave for U$C, but that fell through, then Oregon Duck$ came a long.

He's still essentially the #2, but offense showcases him better.

He didn't like the nickname Bucko, but that seemed more of a joke renaming than anything. Could be that contributed to moving, but I think cold hard cash and not being a clear #2 to Mo for his 2nd season were driving factors.

Given the soft schedule the computer gods gave MN this year the team would have accomplished more with Irving as RB and KK as QB.
PJ was in love with Morgan and #24.

Given the soft schedule the computer gods gave MN this year the team would have accomplished more with Irving as RB and KK as QB.
PJ was in love with Morgan and #24.
Very hard to criticize Mo but a lot of times when he got caught then our drive stalled. Irving wouldn’t have gotten caught he would have housed more long runs. It would’ve made a difference. Couldn’t agree more on 8 verses 2 but you’ll get your ass kicked on this board likely. PJ clearly has his guys more than most coaches and it hurts us in spots. I have one more shot to take a shot at 55 and will use the same. He’s been terrible and gets run out there way too much.

It's a made-up statement so he didn't have to say "Oregon tampered with the Gophers roster, which is against the rules and should not have been allowed, but I wanted six-figures of NIL money that they promised backdoor over the low five figures I was getting at Minnesota, so that's why I made the move."

He’s a home run threat and Mo isn’t. Our offense needed that. You can easily try to dismiss him, but he would have been our 2nd best back this year and our starter next year. It was a big loss.

In post #10, I called him outstanding. I'm certainly not dismissing him.

He chose to leave here. That's his prerogative.

He actually would have gotten a fair chance to start, he just would have been beaten out by a healthy Mo. A healthy Mo is better than Bucky.
He would've actually gotten a decent amount of game reps, though. Maybe a 25% share? Could've actually spelled Mo nicely. Whereas Potts didn't(/couldn't??) do much in games that mattered this year.

I think the whole nickname angle is just a cover for the real reason, “I wanted the cash!”

Maybe if you don't like stats. Mo had 10 more yards rushing then Bucko in their first two seasons.

I can't see Mo leaving (possibly for money), and then taking shots at his former team.

Mo is head and shoulders above him in the character department.

Wasn't it reported, or at least rumored, that Bucky's family lives in a pretty rough area of Chicago and he wanted some money to help them out? If so it's really hard for me to blame a kid for feeling the need to do that, and still getting to play for a good program in Oregon. From what I understand he was nothing but a great teammate and person while he was here, and he didn't quit mid-season like a lot of guys do. I'll be rooting for him and I'm happy to see him succeed.

He can help his family; I have no problem with that. But he doesn't need to make negative comments about his former team. That's where he loses me. No reason for it.

Can’t fault the kid for making a decision based on money. I’ve done that a few thousand times myself.

Top Bottom