iPhone coverage

golden00

Reaction score
This is completely non-football related, but I got little to no internet coverage on my iPhone (AT&T) in the stadium. It's nice to be able to look up statistics as the game progresses.

Did any other iPhone users experience this?

We experienced the same thing with our iphones. I used mine to take pictures and then turned it off.

Hmm. I get great coverage on the field and in the band area (which is under the stands where you'd think it'd be sketchy coverage). (I am an iPhoner)

Up in Section 215 there was absolutely no iPhone coverage. Probably At&T's fault. I wonder if we were all just competing for a small number of possible connections? As you might guess, I have no idea how cellphones or 3G actually works. I do know it was annoying.

No coverage

We had an iPhone and a dumb phone, both AT&T Wireless.

We could not make a call or get internet coverage the whole game. We briefly received a signal at the start of the 2nd half, so luckily we could call our babysitter.

It's pretty common in stadiums to overload a few cell phone towers (I think). Last time we were at Wrigley Field the same thing happened ... no service of any kind the whole game. I'd start blaming AT&T wireless unless others had issues with their providers.

P.S. Snackeru - I went to college with your sister, just tell her Mad Dog says hi.

Hmm, I don't remember this being a problem in Northrup Field or Memorial Stadium.

All of my family couldn't get any reception with their iPhones- Sucked!

Same here and the blame falls to AT&T, as usual. I turned off 3G later in the game and was able to send some pictures over Edge, but it was obviously quite slow.

iPhone user here as well sitting in 211. Not able to make calls or send text!?

I believe it's AT&T issue with the location and/or structure of the stadium?

My friend right next to me who has Verizon (Blackberry) was able to text and make phone calls!

Somebody needs to report this to the TCF Bank facility and get this issue resolved! Can't be at no games with no cell phones!! :rolleyes:

Somebody needs to report this to the TCF Bank facility and get this issue resolved! Can't be at no games with no cell phones!! :rolleyes:

I'd start by overloading AT&T Wireless customer support with calls, texts or e-mails. I don't think TCF has much to do with this unless they have equipment for providers.

Had no IPhone coverage except briefly during the second half. It is not uncommon to have little to no service at a sporting event or concert.

I do not have an iPhone, but do have AT&T. I did notice a lot of problems trying to connect to the internet, and sometimes it would take 20-30 minutes for my texts to go out.

I think that complaining to the U is valid in this situation, since a couple of their promotions are urging people to text and send photos. I doubt the U is too happy that one of the major networks was essentially down. Maybe they can put pressure on them to work it out.

I have a Palm Pre and Sprint -- had both phone and Internet coverage throughout the game. Thanks, Sprint!

I think it's the AT&T network not being ready for the demand from 50k+ at the new stadium. My iPhone was showing strong signal but TEXT MESSAGES were erroring out. Text messages that use almost no bandwidth. I'm going to send a complaint to AT&T and I hope others will as well so they can try to increase their coverage on that end of campus.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with 50,000 fans all trying to access from the same place. I have been inside the stadium previously with only a few hundred others and had no problem with access. There is a wireless network that you can sign into, but that also seemed overloaded.

Palm Pro with Alltel/Verizon and had an excellent signal

I have a BlackBerry on Verizon, and I could use my phone just fine for making calls/texts. The internet worked, but it was incredibly slow. I'm talking 2-3 minutes to load a simple, virtually image-free page.

I have a Blackberry on Verizon as well and it didn't work well at all. Internet wasn't even worth trying, and my texts would take a few minutes to send, if they even sent.

iPhone user here as well sitting in 211. Not able to make calls or send text!?

I believe it's AT&T issue with the location and/or structure of the stadium?

I doubt it has anything to do with the structure other than the fact that the structure happens to hold 50K fans at one time.
I think it's the AT&T network not being ready for the demand from 50k+ at the new stadium. My iPhone was showing strong signal but TEXT MESSAGES were erroring out. Text messages that use almost no bandwidth. I'm going to send a complaint to AT&T and I hope others will as well so they can try to increase their coverage on that end of campus.

AT&T's network still isn't ready to handle the iPhone period. Its not limited to football games. Major metro areas with high levels of iPhone adoption are already seeing problems.

I had trouble with my T-Mobile Blackberry at various times during the game (text and calls were fine, internet was slow or not functioning). BTW - the scoreboard "updates" on the side of the big screen were not updated very often, if at all. Were the stadium people having trouble too?

My Sprint Treo 755p had no problem

We had an iPhone and a dumb phone, both AT&T Wireless.

We could not make a call or get internet coverage the whole game. We briefly received a signal at the start of the 2nd half, so luckily we could call our babysitter.

It's pretty common in stadiums to overload a few cell phone towers (I think). Last time we were at Wrigley Field the same thing happened ... no service of any kind the whole game. I'd start blaming AT&T wireless unless others had issues with their providers.

P.S. Snackeru - I went to college with your sister, just tell her Mad Dog says hi.

I couldn't text and had trouble calling from time to time on my "dumb" phone.

You think that one game is bad? I live 3 blocks from Wrigley Field and I have to turn off 3G 81 times a year because I get absolutely no coverage when the Cubs are playing.

My T-Mobile dumb phone was making calls and texts the whole game with no problem.

Top Bottom