Iowa Ticket Dilema:What would you do?

Purchasing tickets entitles you to do whatever you want with them.

Likewise, selling one's tickets to an opposition fan entitles one to call said person a d*uche for doing so.

If you can't afford the tickets, don't buy them. It's really quite simple. If you have to sell 1-2 tickets to "afford" the cost, you shouldn't be buying them in the first place. And if an obligation conflicts (wedding, in-laws in town, whatever, etc.) give them away to a Gopher fan if you can't find one to buy them, or donate them to a charity like Tix for Tots. I've been a season-ticket holder (either student or general) for 13 years, and I can count the number of times that I've sold/given tickets to opposition fans on zero hands. I'm not saying it makes me a better fan...no wait, yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.

And, while we're on the subject, it's not even remotely the same as selling T-wolves, Twins, etc. tickets to just anyone. All professional sports have some type of parity built into their system. Other than the 85-scholarship limit, there is no built-in parity in college football at all. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. How does it look to recruits when they show up and see 40-50% (or more) of the opponent's fans in the stands? I'd rather have a half-empty stadium than that any day of the week. Apathy isn't nearly as bad as actively sabotaging your own program.

Gopher "fans' are unreal. Do you think that a sconnie fan or iowa fan would sell their tickets to a close rival. Osu tickets to a michigan fan? This is the "loyalty" a lot of our band wagon season ticket holders have. I don't have a lot of money and travel 300+ miles round trip to attend Gopher games. I would never sell any ticket to a rival.

Yes, most of them will. The problem is they don't usually have to worry about it because they have 100 friends that constantly bombard them with "if you ever have extra tickets to the game..." who are already WI or IA fans, so they don't need to. I have bought tickets from WI fans before for road games. If I have to pay an MN fan to go and a WI or IA fan will pay? No brainer.

I love how people want to lecture others on how to spend their money. "You shouldn't be buying them anyway."

And as for the comparison to pro sports... no-they are exactly the same thing. Forms of entertainment for which tickets are sold on the free market, and right now, the level of entertainment being produced by this team is at an all-time low, even with a good stadium experience.

College football is like a religion in some markets (Lincoln, Ann Arbor, Happy Valley, most of the SEC, Texas, etc.) It isn't here. It's simply another option in a crowded market for things to do.

Oh, and notice I didn't include Madison. Lots of people including students snapping up Rose Bowl tix last year to sell at a profit.

Top Bottom