Iowa Ticket Dilema:What would you do?

nemosgold

Reaction score
I'm a assistant HS football coach and with the 2:30 start will more than likely not be able to make it to the game. My seats are really good, 212 row 2 and I have a lot 37 parking pass. I might give them away to family. There is no way I'm going to get face value $140 plus roughly $50 for the parking pass from a Gopher fan. I don't make a ton of money, would you sell to an Iowa fan? I hate to do it, but let's face it, the tickets aren't worth what I paid for them to a Gopher fan.

I'm a assistant HS football coach and with the 2:30 start will more than likely not be able to make it to the game. My seats are really good, 212 row 2 and I have a lot 37 parking pass. I might give them away to family. There is no way I'm going to get face value $140 plus roughly $50 for the parking pass from a Gopher fan. I don't make a ton of money, would you sell to an Iowa fan? I hate to do it, but let's face it, the tickets aren't worth what I paid for them to a Gopher fan.

Family, or freinds. Maybe someone who's never been to a game.
Good luck, I have similar situations, but I always try to give/sell them to a minnesotan who either has some interest in the gophers or someone who's never been to a game. Iowa scum can get their tickets from scalpers.

Yea, I gave my Ohio State ones to my sister last year. A lot of money to be giving away.

I don't make a ton of money, would you sell to an Iowa fan?

I'm in the same situation for the Wisconsin game. As someone who also doesn't make a ton of money, I can say that I would never, ever, ever allow a Badger or Hawkeye fan to use my seat.

I wouldn't. I donate mty unused tix to Tix's for Tots and get a tax deduction.

But you have to decide rather than letting others make the decision.

I would NEVER EVER sell my tickets to a "HAWKS" fan. Never. I would rather give them away to a Gopher fan.

Howbout this dilema:

New wife (Oct 8, yay) is from Virginia, but her parents are from Iowa and attended Iowa for law school. Whole family are Hawks fans (including the aunts/uncles some of which live in MN). Her parents and 1 brother (14) are coming up next weekend for the game. Wife is a Gopher fan with me, but do I assist in getting them tickets? They're very reasonable people - follow the Hawks closely but are very good natured and have a love for the game rather than being obnoxious. If I had extras (I don't) would/should I be burned for giving the seats to them if I couldn't go and no Gopher fan would take them??? Tough call since they're family...

Family, or freinds. Maybe someone who's never been to a game.
Good luck, I have similar situations, but I always try to give/sell them to a minnesotan who either has some interest in the gophers or someone who's never been to a game. Iowa scum can get their tickets from scalpers.

I think that most Hawkeye fans already got their tickets through the Gopher Athletic Department. Although, you could argue they got scalped since they were $70+ each with fees!

I would rather you didn't sell them to a Hawkeye fan also, but when push comes to shove...you have to do what you have to do. If it makes you feel any better, last year I was surrounded by Hawkeye fans. They were mostly fine. I'm expecting the same thing for the next 3 games. Many people just don't care and until our program improves, they won't.

After being surrounded by numerous Nebraska fans today. I'll have no problem selling to the enemy if they are the only ones to give me my money back.

Wish I could afford to! Tickets $140 face plus 1/6th of $500 call it $80, plus another $120 for lot 37 parking.

Wish I could afford to! Tickets $140 face plus 1/6th of $500 call it $80, plus another $120 for lot 37 parking.
I understand. Lol. I was just joking around, I'm stuck on the other side of Wisconsin. Anyway, if money is tight for you, I would say sell to whoever offers you the most. To me, there are some situations it's ok to sell to the other team.

I plan to. Already offered mine to a buddy at work who is an Iowa fan. Rather someone enjoy the seats then go empty. Plus any money I can recoup is good.

After being surrounded by numerous Nebraska fans today. I'll have no problem selling to the enemy if they are the only ones to give me my money back.

Bingo. The sanctity of keeping TCF pure was tapped out today. AT LEAST 1/2 of the season ticket base won't be able to judge you after today. Take the money like so many others are doing. Maybe there will be so many that they'll try to christen TCF as North Kinnick by going after the goal posts again. I left at halftime today and early against NDSU. The unpredictable, tactless nature of Hawkeye fans will keep me there to the final whistle, expecting the unexpected.

Believe me I understand the $$ issue. Still, if you can't give them to or sell them cheap to MN fan then donate like Bayfield suggested. Selling you tickets to WI/IA fans is like inviting the "weird" side of the family to Thanksgiving:)

Here's my opinion for anyone who cares:

If you bought your season tickets with the plan to sell a few games because you can't afford the full season of season tickets, then I can understand having to sell to the opposition.

If you bought season tickets with the plan to use all of them yourself, then I wouldn't sell to the opposition, unless something has changed since you bought the season tix (lost your job, unexpected expense, etc). Many of these same people who say they "can't afford" to give them to Gopher fans or just not use them, would probably be going to this game if the Gophers were 5-2 right now. How can you afford it if the team was doing well but not afford it if they're not playing well?

Obviously this is just my opinion and season ticket holders can do whatever they want.

Although I am going to the Iowa game I still have 4 tix I would like to sell. I have a couple of co-workers that are hawk fans and that I get along very well with. I would have no problem selling to these guys, although I would never give tix away to an Iowa fan no matter how well I know them.

Gopher "fans' are unreal. Do you think that a sconnie fan or iowa fan would sell their tickets to a close rival. Osu tickets to a michigan fan? This is the "loyalty" a lot of our band wagon season ticket holders have. I don't have a lot of money and travel 300+ miles round trip to attend Gopher games. I would never sell any ticket to a rival.

Gopher "fans' are unreal. Do you think that a sconnie fan or iowa fan would sell their tickets to a close rival. Osu tickets to a michigan fan? This is the "loyalty" a lot of our band wagon season ticket holders have. I don't have a lot of money and travel 300+ miles round trip to attend Gopher games. I would never sell any ticket to a rival.

The Badger, Hawkeye, Buckeye, and Wolverine fan experience has been different during the past 50 years. I don't think they have a problem getting face value from one of their own. Be happy if you get away with a 50% discount price to a Gopher fan. I haven't sold to an opposing fan, but think it is funny that some people expect others to lose their butts instead of considering a sale to an opposing fan. That is when being a Gopher football ticket holder becomes an abusive relationship, especially when scalpers will have their fists full of tickets 5 minutes before kickoff. I got 40% off against USC, 75% off Northern Illinois, and 50% off Ohio State from scalpers last year and saw the kickoffs to all three games. This year I'm paying season ticket holder prices. Next year's schedule will force you to eat tickets to games you can't attend.

Gopher "fans' are unreal. Do you think that a sconnie fan or iowa fan would sell their tickets to a close rival. Osu tickets to a michigan fan? This is the "loyalty" a lot of our band wagon season ticket holders have. .

This!

The market for Gopher tickets is such that the only people who would be willing to pay face value are opposing fans. The fact is, people don't want these tickets. It's much like the Twins during the dark days of the 90's or the T-Wolves. You can't give something away if nobody want it.

And it's only going to get worse next season.

The market for Gopher tickets is such that the only people who would be willing to pay face value are opposing fans. The fact is, people don't want these tickets. It's much like the Twins during the dark days of the 90's or the T-Wolves. You can't give something away if nobody want it.

And it's only going to get worse next season.

I'm wondering why these people bought the season tix to begin with then?

I understand. Lol. I was just joking around, I'm stuck on the other side of Wisconsin. Anyway, if money is tight for you, I would say sell to whoever offers you the most. To me, there are some situations it's ok to sell to the other team.

Never, ever, EVER...would I sell my tickets to an opposing fan. I could use the money too, but I'll never be that desperate. I'd rather give them away, than have opposing fans sit in them. Good grief...we do have a long way to go with our program, and it's not just ON the football field!

I'm wondering why these people bought the season tix to begin with then?

Most people bought season tix assuming we would be competitive and at least show signs of life in a rebuilding year. Lets not rip on people who actually have committed money to the program over the years.

For those of you who didn't read the original post. I'm not selling them because I don't want to go to the game. More than likely I won't be able to go to the game. If the game were at 11 I'd be there. (I do like the 230 starts) I've posted them in ticket are and have received NO PM's today. I even e-mailed Maturi to see if he'd by them back. After yesterday, I have no problem trying to get my money back from an Iowa fan.

The guys sitting next to us were Nebraska fans that got there tickets from a friend, but the friend made them wear gold. You can do your part and still sellthe tickets.

Most people bought season tix assuming we would be competitive and at least show signs of life in a rebuilding year. Lets not rip on people who actually have committed money to the program over the years.

So committing money to the program entitles you to sell your tickets to opposing fans? Boy, there's an attitude that is going to help to turn around the culture of our program...sheeshhh.

So committing money to the program entitles you to sell your tickets to opposing fans? Boy, there's an attitude that is going to help to turn around the culture of our program...sheeshhh.

Purchasing tickets entitles you to do whatever you want with them.

The only thing that will turn around the culture of this program is an extended period of real success. Not Mason success - real success - championships and contending for them. That's it.
That's how Wisconsin did it.

Top Bottom