Iowa fans just can't help themselves

gopherfaith

Reaction score
Okay, this is funny, from Cavalcade of Whimsy on collegefootballnews.com

”There's an important phrase that we use here and I think it's time you all learned it. "Act as if". Do you understand what that means? Act as if you are the ***ing president of this firm.” … Iowa fans, if you want your team to be taken seriously as a national powerhouse, you don’t rush the field when you beat a lower-ranked team. Sure, beating Michigan is fun and it’s a big moment in what’s quickly becoming a dream season, but this isn’t 1985 and this isn’t a Wolverine team with national championship aspirations. If the game was to win the Big Ten title, then yeah, go crazy, but for now, it was just a nice conference win over a team you were supposed to beat. Win the game, shake hands, and go take a soak.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/908564.html

On one hand we bash Minnesota fans for not being enthusiastic enough, but on the other we bash Iowa fans for being too enthusiastic?

On one hand we bash Minnesota fans for not being enthusiastic enough, but on the other we bash Iowa fans for being too enthusiastic?

Do you seriously just like to disagree with everything just for the sake of argument?

More and more I enjoy the liveliness of this board...lots of bored rival posters monitoring input and ready to pounce in order to avoid boring lives of quiet desperation.

I absolutely love it. I hope the fans rush the field after every game.

A guy I work with was a Boy Scout usher for a couple of years at Kinnick years ago . He told me one thing he learned that he'll never forget: " 13 year old kids can not keep Hawkeye fans from storming the field!"

He was glad when he heard that they now were just letting the fans go on the field.

Lighten up Francis.

francis.jpg

Iowa will never be a powerhouse for lots of reasons, the fact that our fans like to run onto the field to celebrate is not one of them. It's fun, and the team seems to appreciate and enjoy it. That's a lot more important than what a bunch of uptight sports writers and rival fans think.

Do you seriously just like to disagree with everything just for the sake of argument?
Do you think that position is so ridiculous that it couldn't possibly be driven by anything other than being contrarian?

I legitimately think the Iowa fan bashing is silly and I wish our fanbase had some of that enthusiasm.

Bush league

but what do you expect from Iowa? The dome that year, that was fine, you were going to the Rose Bowl. To take the field after beating a weak Michigan team in a unexceptional, run of the mill Big Ten game just shows they deserve the scorn and belittling they are receiving nationally.
Nice to live up to the extremely low expectations the rest of country has for you, stay classy Iowa!

Do you think that position is so ridiculous that it couldn't possibly be driven by anything other than being contrarian?

I legitimately think the Iowa fan bashing is silly and I wish our fanbase had some of that enthusiasm.

It's based on your short track record of arguing and picking fights with everyone at GH more than anything. He quoted a national article not even written by a Gopher fan, lighten up.

More and more I enjoy the liveliness of this board...lots of bored rival posters monitoring input and ready to pounce in order to avoid boring lives of quiet desperation.

I just like to read all of the posts about my Hawkeyes. :) I appreciate all of those posts started by those avoiding their life of quiet desperation so that i can read them and reply to avoid my own boring life of quiet desperation.

It's based on your short track record of arguing and picking fights with everyone at GH more than anything. He quoted a national article not even written by a Gopher fan, lighten up.
I'm nothing but civil here. Expressing a differing opinion is not tantamount to picking a fight. :confused:

but what do you expect from Iowa? The dome that year, that was fine, you were going to the Rose Bowl. To take the field after beating a weak Michigan team in a unexceptional, run of the mill Big Ten game just shows they deserve the scorn and belittling they are receiving nationally.
Nice to live up to the extremely low expectations the rest of country has for you, stay classy Iowa!

Since when are our fans the target of scorn and ridicule anywhere except the message boards of rival teams? I talked to a bunch of UM fans in Iowa City this weekend who all remarked on how well they were treated, and Brian at MGoBlog had similar positive comments about our fans. I doubt the fact that we were happy about beating them changed that. Michigan is overrated, but they are hardly weak, it was a tight game that kept our undefeated run alive, and we've beaten Michigan like 10 times ever. That seems worth celebrating.

Also, why, exactly, is being really happy about a win and wanting to run down and celebrate with the team unclassy?

I'm nothing but civil here. Expressing a differing opinion is not tantamount to picking a fight. :confused:

The point is you consistantly pick the differing opinion of the majority, either you actually feel that way, or you are trolling for arguments. I can't decide which is more annoying.

The point is you consistantly pick the differing opinion of the majority, either you actually feel that way, or you are trolling for arguments. I can't decide which is more annoying.
If I was trolling for arguments I would express my opinions in a much more pejorative manner, which I never do. Reasonable disagreement should never be irritating to someone who is secure in their beliefs and has reached a conclusion founded in solid logic.

If I was trolling for arguments I would express my opinions in a much more pejorative manner, which I never do. Reasonable disagreement should never be irritating to someone who is secure in their beliefs and has reached a conclusion founded in solid logic.
Are you serious with this reply? :rolleyes:

Are you serious with this reply? :rolleyes:
Absolutely. I don't see why hearing an opinion that's different than yours should be upsetting so long as it's done in a respectful, fair manner. Especially over something so trivial as football.

Absolutely. I don't see why hearing an opinion that's different than yours should be upsetting so long as it's done in a respectful, fair manner. Especially over something so trivial as football.

You're completely missing the point. It's the frequency of your opinion being the exact opposite of the majority. When someone is consistantly the contrarian, especially when it comes to trivial opinion such as a football game, it is absolutely irritating. Like I said originally, you argue for the sake of argument. You've sucked me into your verbose banter long enough.

Point missed by someone projecting themselves as an intellectual. :p

"pejorative", "contrarian". Again, seriously? :rolleyes:

Since you didn't get it the first time, I'll explain. I didn't necessarily agree or disagree with your position. I'm just making fun of you for writing like a professor in a message board filled with Neanderthal football fans like myself. Sorry, just found that funny, and a little over the top. Like Maximus said in his post earlier with his clever "Stripes" photo, lighten up a little. :D

You're completely missing the point. It's the frequency of your opinion being the exact opposite of the majority. When someone is consistantly the contrarian, especially when it comes to trivial opinion such as a football game, it is absolutely irritating. Like I said originally, you argue for the sake of argument. You've sucked me into your verbose banter long enough.
I don't do that at all. I present what I believe and the conclusions I've come to and I try to do it in a thoughtful, supported manner. If I don't happen to agree with the general consensus then oh well, but I suspect it's selection bias on your part that's making you miss the times I do.

Making this thread about me is kinda silly.

Point missed by someone projecting themselves as an intellectual. :p

"pejorative", "contrarian". Again, seriously? :rolleyes:

Since you didn't get it the first time, I'll explain. I didn't necessarily agree or disagree with your position. I'm just making fun of you for writing like a professor in a message board filled with Neanderthal football fans like myself. Sorry, just found that funny, and a little over the top. Like Maximus said in his post earlier with his clever "Stripes" photo, lighten up a little. :D
that's how i talk, dawg.

I mean instead of pejorative I could have said I don't try to act like a dick but come on those aren't obscure words at all.

the game was a nothing game.

Since when are our fans the target of scorn and ridicule anywhere except the message boards of rival teams? I talked to a bunch of UM fans in Iowa City this weekend who all remarked on how well they were treated, and Brian at MGoBlog had similar positive comments about our fans. I doubt the fact that we were happy about beating them changed that. Michigan is overrated, but they are hardly weak, it was a tight game that kept our undefeated run alive, and we've beaten Michigan like 10 times ever. That seems worth celebrating.

Also, why, exactly, is being really happy about a win and wanting to run down and celebrate with the team unclassy?

It was a Big Ten game nothing more. Class is acting like you have won a game before, shaking hands with Michigan, being good sports, praying if so inclined, and going back to your locker room. Classlessness is acting like you came from 90 back or just clinched a Rose Bowl insted of beating a mid-tier Michigan.

Top Bottom