Iowa fans charge the field?

UptownMaroon&Gold

longtime gopher sufferer
Reaction score
Did anyone else see the end of the Iowa Michigan game? I was a little puzzled by the fact their student section found the need to storm the field after beating an unranked Michigan team. Weren't they supposed to dominate that game, they almost let Michigan come back....hardly seems worthy IMO.

I thought their fan base had a little more perspective that to make an error like this.....oh wait, nevermind...

How is Iowa undefeated with a backup rb and a subpar qb? Is their line just that good? Honest question, I pay no attention to them.

Do we have to go through this every time Iowa wins a televised game?

It's a tradition. Their fans gather on the field after every game. Doesn't matter if they beat #1 Florida or Arkansas State. The fans are invited to gather on the field - and will, after each home game.

Do we have to go through this every time Iowa wins a televised game?

It's a tradition. Their fans gather on the field after every game. Doesn't matter if they beat #1 Florida or Arkansas State. The fans are invited to gather on the field - and will, after each home game.

Really? I had no idea...seems like amateur hour to me

Yeah ESPN called it a "shocking win" or something in the highlights and I'm like ok it was #12 Iowa vs unranked, rebuilding, rookie QB Michigan...who didn't see this coming?? and then they storm the field WTF???

It was an exciting game against a team we hardly ever beat, and rushing the field is really fun. I don't get this goofy idea that there is, like, an ethics for when you can or cannot do it.

we should have rushed the field today then when we beat Purdue... imo its unsportsmanlike just to charge the field, especially when you let a Michigan team nearly come back and win after they handed you five turnovers and they were the most over rated un-ranked team ever....

Yeah, you should have. It's fun for the fans and the team. Sports are supposed to be fun. Why are you taking something as dumb as when a team can rush the field so seriously?

Also, did you see that game? It was really really exciting. Of course the fans were going to be pumped to win. Michigan may be a little overrated this year, but they're still Michigan, and beating them in prime time was still a pretty big deal. Iowa doesn't beat them too often, why not celebrate?

The next time the Gophers beat Michigan I'm pretty sure I'll charge the field. I don't care how bad they are when it happens.

I think it's tacky when any team rushes the field. We are better than that... Iowa is not. They are trash imo. The best player on Iowa's team is their punter... that's why they are undefeated... I'm not kidding...

I don't like that Iowa charges the field like that but they do invite fans to hit the turf after every game.

I think it's tacky when any team rushes the field. We are better than that... Iowa is not. They are trash imo. The best player on Iowa's team is their punter... that's why they are undefeated... I'm not kidding...

It's okay, we'll rush your field for you. With the dome gone, we can actually take the goal posts with us this time.

I don't like that Iowa charges the field like that...

Serious question...why?

It students congratulating their fellow students on a victory. As the players begin to file off the field the students line up on either side and give each player a pat on the back. Maybe it should be marketed as a 'Victory Walk' in stead of 'rush the field'. Would that be palatable? And its spontaneous as opposed to Brewster calling for a victory walk his first year.

One final point and I'll let you have the last word, I'll take our students behaving enthusiastically over your students: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=9451

Serious question...why?

It students congratulating their fellow students on a victory. As the players begin to file off the field the students line up on either side and give each player a pat on the back. Maybe it should be marketed as a 'Victory Walk' in stead of 'rush the field'. Would that be palatable? And its spontaneous as opposed to Brewster calling for a victory walk his first year.

One final point and I'll let you have the last word, I'll take our students behaving enthusiastically over your students: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=9451

uh, yeah, students. there may be students rushing the field, but there are also the middle age, acid washed jeans wearing, ford ranger driving, light saber wielding, think-that-they-are-part-of-the-team-even-though-they-didn't-and-couldn't-go-to-school-there sociopaths.

middle age, acid washed jeans wearing, ford ranger driving, light saber wielding, think-that-they-are-part-of-the-team-even-though-they-didn't-and-couldn't-go-to-school-there sociopaths.

You say that like it's a bad thing . . . .

Why Iowa is so good

1) They are excellent on both lines.

2) Fantastic coaching/play calling.

I also was a bit puzzled to see the Iowa fans rush the field. Hardly an upset.

Serious question...why?

Serious question, why are you such a troll. The fact you are a middle-aged man is even more perplexing.

Iowa "charges" the field after every game. I believe they invented the collapsible goal posts for that reason. Normally, their fans just walk down and enter the field but it looked like their students decided to "rush" it this time. I hate Iowa, I hate Iowa City, I hate Kinnick and pretty much everything else about that damn place (except for the Airliner), but it is a neat thing to let fans come down onto the field after the game. If Gopher fans go to the game this year, they can even go onto the field, win or lose. I've been there for both.

I saw that too and was embarrassed for them. Act like you expected to win the game for crying out loud. Alright boys let's establish our rally point as section 104 and get prepared to rush the field after we knockoff South Dakota St.

Iowa "charges" the field after every game. I believe they invented the collapsible goal posts for that reason. Normally, their fans just walk down and enter the field but it looked like their students decided to "rush" it this time. I hate Iowa, I hate Iowa City, I hate Kinnick and pretty much everything else about that damn place (except for the Airliner), but it is a neat thing to let fans come down onto the field after the game. If Gopher fans go to the game this year, they can even go onto the field, win or lose. I've been there for both.

Is this something that has changed recently? I have a cousin that went to school there and got snared by security and arrested after charging the field. Did they decide to embrace it because they couldn't stop people from doing it anyway?

Is this something that has changed recently? I have a cousin that went to school there and got snared by security and arrested after charging the field. Did they decide to embrace it because they couldn't stop people from doing it anyway?

I've gone to games there for 15 years and have always remembered fans being welcome to walk onto the field after the game. A very strange practice, if you ask me, when they had real grass. But how many DI stadiums can you actually claim that you've stood on the field? That being said, it doens't make up for the horribly small troughs in their bathrooms, where its common for drunk Hawkeye men to use the sinks, and for having the worst concession food in the Big Ten. Go home, nuke a hot dog until it explodes in the microwave, assemble the pieces and put it onto a three-week old stale bun, and it'll be better than the crap they call "food" at Kinnick.

I think you have to figure in the added hype because the Hawkeyes haven't lost yet this year and are riding a 10 game winning streak. I would expect an on-field celebration much like the one witnessed on Saturday night after each home victory as long as they remain undefeated*. You can debate it, hate it, or think it makes the fans look clueless, to each his own.
The point is, there is a lot of excitement in HawkeyeNation right now.

* The Hawks still have to travel to Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Ohio State. There is no Illinois or Purdue on the schedule. So the probability of going undefeated is a long shot, IMHO.

The administration has tried to cut down on it the last few years. I know last year they sent out e-mails telling the students not to, but didn't really enforce it. This year they have security posted around to grab people, but I think they just got overwhelmed by all the people rushing onto the field at the same time yesterday and gave up.

It's hilarious to me that so many of you guys care this much about something as goofy as when fans decide to rush the field. I think it's cool to go down and celebrate with the team regardless of the opponent, but this game was a pretty big deal, even if Michigan was unranked. Wins against Michigan are pretty rare for Iowa and always cool. Also, this was an exciting game and the culmination to what was essentially a day-long party in Iowa City. Rushing the field was the perfect end to that. I thought it made for a pretty cool visual on TV too.

I've gone to games there for 15 years and have always remembered fans being welcome to walk onto the field after the game. A very strange practice, if you ask me, when they had real grass. But how many DI stadiums can you actually claim that you've stood on the field? That being said, it doens't make up for the horribly small troughs in their bathrooms, where its common for drunk Hawkeye men to use the sinks, and for having the worst concession food in the Big Ten. Go home, nuke a hot dog until it explodes in the microwave, assemble the pieces and put it onto a three-week old stale bun, and it'll be better than the crap they call "food" at Kinnick.

I don't know why you'd want to eat in the Stadium anyway. The lines are always long if you go at the end of a quarter or a half, and if you go any other time you're going to miss part of the game. Save that for for before the game, either at a tailgate, or one of the millions of vendors along Melrose, many of whom have some really good food (mmmmm Big Ass Turkey Leg).

I will charge

the court at Williams Arena when the Gophers beat the top rated Hawkeye basketball team, Oh wait. I had you there for a minute didn't I. A little off topic but somewhat relative non the less.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why you'd want to eat in the Stadium anyway. The lines are always long if you go at the end of a quarter or a half, and if you go any other time you're going to miss part of the game. Save that for for before the game, either at a tailgate, or one of the millions of vendors along Melrose, many of whom have some really good food (mmmmm Big Ass Turkey Leg).

If anyone is heading down to Iowa City this year I will vouch for he Turkey Leg. Top notch.

Top Bottom