Iowa Depth Chart for Gophers

This is based on nothing but a hunch. I think Ferentz knows if Darius will play or not. Same for Cody.
If coaches want to know after 5-10-20 years they have a network of moles to provide information if some question is important to them.

How can it not be an advantage to keep the depth chart secret as long as possible? Do we not think coaches game plan based on the personnel they will face? Do you want to give the other coach a week to game plan with that knowledge or a day?
Then why don't all coaches treat is as an obvious advantage and be as secretive as possible with their depth charts?

How can it not be an advantage to keep the depth chart secret as long as possible? Do we not think coaches game plan based on the personnel they will face? Do you want to give the other coach a week to game plan with that knowledge or a day?
Beyond Darius Taylor, who on this year's team will make a difference? Lindenberg won't effect their preparation. No WR will effect their prep.
It truly is a game time decision for many of these guys.
But, if a guy is out...just say he is out.

Then why don't all coaches treat is as an obvious advantage and be as secretive as possible with their depth charts?
There is some strategic advantage to keeping it quiet if a guy might or might not play like say a Darius Taylor or Lindenberg but the only place it really matters is at the QB position. Iowa's defensive gameplan for us isn't going to change much if it is Evans or Taylor in the backfield. If a team has a different QB with a different skill set that could drastically shift a plan (runner vs. passer). Knowing if a star WR is going to play would also be a factor in how coverages are designed (but that isn't a factor for this MN/Iowa matchup).

For the most part though, depth charts are for the fans, some teams release them and some teams don't.

Beyond Darius Taylor, who on this year's team will make a difference? Lindenberg won't effect their preparation. No WR will effect their prep.
It truly is a game time decision for many of these guys.
But, if a guy is out...just say he is out.
Fleck has been very consistent with how he handles injury news. When a guy is out for the year he will say it, if the injury is week to week he tends to be very quiet about it. That bothers some fans but that is how he chooses to handle it.

They do in the NFL.
Sure, but the NFL teams have a 53 man roster with far less question over who is going to play and where.

I'm not saying there couldn't be some advantage to being secretive, but it's not super obvious. If it was, then all college coaches would act like Fleck does in that regard.

Gambling? Being fair to your players who are obviously out for an extended period?

Also- it just becomes pretty silly when beat guys are opening reporting a player being out for the season while the coaching staff refuses to admit it.

Gambling? Being fair to your players who are obviously out for an extended period?

Also- it just becomes pretty silly when beat guys are opening reporting a player being out for the season while the coaching staff refuses to admit it.
Why should Fleck care about gambling? How is it unfair to the injured player to not announce he will be out? There might not be much to gain by not releasing it, but I don’t see any advantage to releasing it.

I'll never forget that fumble but I'll never be upset with Mo for it, either. He literally carried the team on his back for the majority of his career. But agreed, pound the friggin football.
We pound the ball plenty we’re in the bottom five in passing Nationwide. How about a well dialed up balanced attack.

Mo Ibrahim could be granted one more game of eligibility and the gambling line still wouldn't move for this game.

We pound the ball plenty we’re in the bottom five in passing Nationwide. How about a well dialed up balanced attack.

You've seen our rushing game, and you've seen our passing game... and you want more passing?

Why should Fleck care about gambling? How is it unfair to the injured player to not announce he will be out? There might not be much to gain by not releasing it, but I don’t see any advantage to releasing it.

Bingo.

But, hey... just let them throw their little tantrum about depth charts, then shrug it off. They are concerned about the bloody depth charts, and this forum is the appropriate place for them to vent about it.

I personally don't understand their concern, but... whatever.

Top Bottom