Iowa Depth Chart for Gophers

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Ferentz is the anti-Fleck. Even with injuries aplenty, he posts a true depth chart. Early. No state secrets. No hide and seek. “Here’s who we have—go ahead and try to beat us.”

With PJ, it will be 2 hours before the game before we (or Iowa) have an inkling of the possible Gopher two deeps. I like PJ’s recruiting, his spirit, his approach to guiding young men through college years, etc. But what good does refusing to publish a current depth chart do, really? Has it given us a leg up in any game this year? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Weird this is the first depth chart related thread of the Fleck tenure. Thanks for pointing this new information out.

I saw Yahya Black play HS Basketball for Marshall (MN) HS. he was raw as a basketball player, but you could tell he had athletic ability and good feet for a kid his size.

that program has turned out some athletes.

Ferentz is the anti-Fleck. Even with injuries aplenty, he posts a true depth chart. Early. No state secrets. No hide and seek. “Here’s who we have—go ahead and try to beat us.”

With PJ, it will be 2 hours before the game before we (or Iowa) have an inkling of the possible Gopher two deeps. I like PJ’s recruiting, his spirit, his approach to guiding young men through college years, etc. But what good does refusing to publish a current depth chart do, really? Has it given us a leg up in any game this year? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Couldn't agree more. There is something stubborn and obsessive about PJ's secrecy. Is Darius out foe the year or most of it? How about CRAB?

Why does it matter? Do you watch the games depending on who plays? Do you cook different food depending on who the backup guard is?

Do you not have a pretty good idea who the Gophers starters are by game 7?

But does help to know who will play and who is injured? Probably yes. If it helps, then I am all in favor. Could care less whether the public, press, or anyone else knows who will play.

Why does it matter? Do you watch the games depending on who plays? Do you cook different food depending on who the backup guard is?

Why?, indeed.

I saw Yahya Black play HS Basketball for Marshall (MN) HS. he was raw as a basketball player, but you could tell he had athletic ability and good feet for a kid his size.

that program has turned out some athletes.
Not elite to see Minnesota kid starting for Iowa. A PJ failure.

Pound the rock. Beat them at their own game.

We have been very, very close recently, and the reason we've been close is because we have, in fact, played their game.

Mo pounded them last season, and we would have won if he had not — uncharacteristically — fumbled.

Play the same style this time.

The alternative — our passing game — needs work, and attention from the coaches, and... well, it is, simply, lacking at present.

But does help to know who will play and who is injured? Probably yes. If it helps, then I am all in favor. Could care less whether the public, press, or anyone else knows who will play.
This is based on nothing but a hunch. I think Ferentz knows if Darius will play or not. Same for Cody.

We have been very, very close recently, and the reason we've been close is because we have, in fact, played their game.

Mo pounded them last season, and we would have won if he had not — uncharacteristically — fumbled.

The alternative — our passing game — needs work, and attention from the coaches, and... well, it is, simply, lacking at present.
Would agree if we have at least two of our top three tough runners to rotate. Tyler is not one of the three but could be used in other ways to mix it up.

True, but the people mad for gambling reasons about a game with an O/U of 32.5 may need to try out one of those gambling help hotlines.
Have you seen the way Iowa football players bet? They are waiting for our depth chart to plunk down their $7 on the hawks.

Good news is that win or lose on Saturday, the NCAA will likely award the game to us someday on account of all the gamble in their program

Depth charts seem like fan service, and I’m sure Iowa fans appreciate the candor. I’d guess any coach worth anything has cultivated avenues to inside information on who is going to be sitting. Any number of low totem pole staff or players could be groomed for information.

Not elite to see Minnesota kid starting for Iowa. A PJ failure.
lol.....yep because no kids ever leave their home state and go play somewhere else.....definitely a complete and total failure by the coach.....inexcusable.

This comes up every year, there are some fans obsessed with the idea of a depth chart and injury report being readily available for them.

Sure it is nice when coaches volunteer the information but the bottom line is that if they aren't required to do it then it is up to them if the want to or not. Fleck does what is required on this front and doesn't volunteer more information than that. Lots of other coaches do the same thing.

Players know where they are on the depth chart.....that is all that really matters.

Both All and Lachey, NFL caliber TE’s, will be out for our game. We really should hold Iowa to a couple of FGs. Except that Iowa’s coach owns Minnesota’s coach. Which changes the dynamic.
That is such a tired line of thinking. 4 of the 6 matchups with Iowa have been 1 score games including the last 3 in Iowa City. We have the talent to beat them and have been in position to do so but have made critical mistakes that have cost us the victory.

We aren't just losing because Ferentz owns Fleck or some stupid narrative like that, we have lost those games because their players made the plays in those critical situations and ours didn't.

I'll never forget that fumble but I'll never be upset with Mo for it, either. He literally carried the team on his back for the majority of his career. But agreed, pound the friggin football.

I figure the Gopher offense will need to score 21 points to win this game.

The Iowa offense will get a pull-rabbit-out-of-hat quirky long TD and their defense/punting will be directly responsible for another 13 points.

I personally make crab legs when Autman-Bell plays, thank you very much.

How can it not be an advantage to keep the depth chart secret as long as possible? Do we not think coaches game plan based on the personnel they will face? Do you want to give the other coach a week to game plan with that knowledge or a day?

Top Bottom