Iowa at Minnesota Post Game Thread

That was one of the greatest college games I think I've ever seen. What got into Brandon Johnson?!?!?

Agreed. Obviously the run to the Final Four had bigger games....but a three to tie it and then Brandon Johnson playing the hero in OT to beat the #4 team in the nation? Wow.

Hey! Brandon Johnson was beautiful! But Pitino had a great game plan. The guys who think Freeman should not have gotten minutes prior tonight were proven wrong.
Marcus Carr is amazing!
Sooooo fun!!

Merry Christmas indeed! (full disclosure: although I am a Gopher fan, Iowa is my alma mater (undergrad) - yes, fuck 'em!).

First half was a fantastic defensive display. Second half was Marcus Carr, Brandon Johnson, and Liam Robbins. Overtime was Brandon Johnson. This is the advantage of the additional depth this year. You have more guys who are capable of doing something great on occasion like Brandon Johnson did tonight.

And on ESPN right now....Clippers are playing the Nuggets. We'll see if either Oturu or Coffey see any minutes tonight. Both are on the bench.

Not sure whether pitino is a good coach, but this was a great performance by him. Good rotations, rode the hot hands, threw guys at Garza to force him into an inefficient night, got freeman into the rotation in a way that got good minutes out of him, great defensive intensity all night.
Also think this was Carr’s best game as a gopher. Hit big shots, moved the ball, fought on D. He’s growing and gonna be a monster.

Great performance. The team played really hard - - even in the second half - - Pitino has this team playing really hard. The defense was great (game plan and effort). If you were allowed to breathe on Garza without hearing a whistle, it would have been great.

Great performance. The team played really hard - - even in the second half - - Pitino has this team playing really hard. The defense was great (game plan and effort). If you were allowed to breathe on Garza without hearing a whistle, it would have been great.
How many hooks would you say he got away with tonight? I counted 3 and only was able to watch the 2nd half.

Decided to refrain from posting in-game as I was enjoying the game / spending Christmas with a small number of family/friends tonight. Wow, heck of a win!!

Johnson and Carr were the obvious stars tonight, but another guy we couldn't have won the game without... Robbins. He put up a fight against Garza for much of the game and came up big in some important moments. @WriterGopher, have to give it to you on this one. I was one of Robbins critics early on, and you were right in hindsight: it appears he was working back from that injury and/or knocking the rust off. That's back to back solid efforts against good teams for him now. An important piece going forward. Now we just need Gach to start being more consistent!

Decided to refrain from posting in-game as I was enjoying the game / spending Christmas with a small number of family/friends tonight. Wow, heck of a win!!

Johnson and Carr were the obvious stars tonight, but another guy we couldn't have won the game without... Robbins. He put up a fight against Garza for much of the game and came up big in some important moments. @WriterGopher, have to give it to you on this one. I was one of Robbins critics early on, and you were right in hindsight: it appears he was working back from that injury and/or knocking the rust off. That's back to back solid efforts against good teams for him now. An important piece going forward. Now we just need Gach to start being more consistent!

Robbins is a bit soft. Cockburn simply bullied him. But Garza is more of a finesse player and Robbins played a really good defensive game against him. Slowed him down just enough. Still need to see him do a better job rebounding. Five in 30 minutes of play for a true seven footer is not good. His four blocks was really nice though.

Carr's played back-to-back, best games of his career. Not only scoring in volume, but in clutch moments, getting others involved & not turning over the ball.

Johnson was on fire, what else can you say? You can say this: He also had 9 rebs, a block and set the screen Touissant went under, to free up Carr for the game tying shot with 5 secs to go.

Robbins gave us 18 pts, 5 rebs & 4 blks against Iowa's monsters. I couldn't be happier with his performance tonight. He's only going to keep getting better.

I was reading Hawkeye Nation and most of their fans seem normal. They were disappointed, I would be too, but I did want to post one of their fans having a meltdown. I tried to fix the F bombs.

"What an absolute pathetic joke of a loss. This Iowa team shouldn't even be ranked. Losing to a Minnesota team who won't make whatever tournament is beneath the NIT is the most f&#king pathetic thing I've seen in a long while. Minnesota doesn't have anyone besides Carr. Even their f%#cking bums made everything they threw at the rim. F#(cking pathetic. Just cancel the fU$@&ng season."

I was reading Hawkeye Nation and most of their fans seem normal. They were disappointed, I would be too, but I did want to post one of their fans having a meltdown. I tried to fix the F bombs.

"What an absolute pathetic joke of a loss. This Iowa team shouldn't even be ranked. Losing to a Minnesota team who won't make whatever tournament is beneath the NIT is the most f&#king pathetic thing I've seen in a long while. Minnesota doesn't have anyone besides Carr. Even their f%#cking bums made everything they threw at the rim. F#(cking pathetic. Just cancel the fU$@&ng season."

:clap:

The O/U for the game was 166, and it wound up 83-83 at the end of regulation. Crazy.

Really fun game, love how they battled back after Iowa took control, to at least stay within shouting distance.

That was possibly the best defensive effort and scheme of Pitino's tenure. Great game. If Gabe was half way dialed in, we would have ran away with it. If Gabe can get it together this year and start knocking down some of those open 3's, we'll have a competitive squad on our hands

I didn’t know Coach K had relatives in Iowa. 🤣 “Cancel the season.”

The O/U for the game was 166, and it wound up 83-83 at the end of regulation. Crazy.

Really fun game, love how they battled back after Iowa took control, to at least stay within shouting distance.
Yesterday it was 163.5 the betting public caused it to move. At halftime I thought for sure I had lost my bet but nope got both MN+4 FH and the over. I didn't do the gophers +7 for the game cause I was a scurred woose:(
I was slightly conflicted on those last two Purdue FT as I only needed one, but only for a second!

Last edited:

Top Bottom