Iowa and Tailgating!

Cops: Man Said He Stole Taxi Because He Did Not Want To Walk Six Blocks To His Home

An Iowa resident arrested for stealing a taxi moments after his release from a Des Moines hospital told cops that he boosted the ride because he did not want to walk the six blocks to his residence.

According to police, Luis Orellana-Rivera, 26, hopped into a running cab parked outside Mercy Medical Center. The taxi driver told cops that he pulled up to the hospital’s front doors and left the car running as he made a delivery to the blood bank.

Orellana-Rivera allegedly swiped the car around 6:15 AM Friday, immediately after his discharge.

Shortly after the taxi’s owner reported the vehicle stolen, Des Moines Police Department cops used GPS data to locate the Ford Crown Victoria, which was parked less than a mile from the hospital.

Orellana-Rivera was arrested as he exited the vehicle, which was in a lot behind his former residence. A “friend/former roommate” told police that Orellana-Rivera “has been having mental issues lately due to drug usage,” and has been “delusional and paranoid.”

Orellana-Rivera, who had the cab’s keys in his pants pocket, told police that he opted to steal the car instead of walking home from the hospital. Orellana-Rivera, who spent about six hours at the medical center, was wearing a hospital bracelet and had a pulse oxygen device still attached to his finger when apprehended.

Orellana-Rivera was arrested for felony theft and jailed in the Polk County lockup (where he is being held in lieu of $5000 bond).

Drunk Collegian Calls 911, Says She Is "Olivia Pope" And Then Warns Cop Of Car Bomb Heading For White House

An Iowa collegian who is apparently a big fan of booze and TV’s “Scandal” called 911 early this morning claiming to be “Olivia Pope,” and reported a sighting of “Cyrus Beene” outside an Iowa City bar, police say.

Cops responding to the 2:45 AM emergency call were flagged down by Kelsey Cousins, a 20-year-old University of Iowa student who is a member of the school’s rowing team.

Officer Brad Reinhard reported that Cousins, “kept talking about ‘Olivia Pope’ and about a car with a bomb in it that was heading to the White House.” The cop added that, “‘Olivia Pope’ is a television show character and everything that defendant stated was nonsensical and rambling.”

Actress Kerry Washington stars in “Scandal” as Pope, a Beltway fixer and presidential mistress. The “Cyrus Beene” character, played by Jeff Perry, is a scheming manipulator who was fired from his post as White House chief of staff.

The underage Cousins, according to a police report, smelled of alcohol, suffered from impaired speech and balance, and had bloodshot, watery eyes. She reportedly copped to drinking and possessing a fake ID.

Following her arrest for public intoxication, Cousins, took a Breathalyzer test that registered her blood alcohol content at .206, more than twice the legal limit. She is also facing a second misdemeanor charge for misuse of the 911 system.

Cops: Drunken Collegian, 18, Jumped In Squad Car, Asked Cop For Ride To His Dorm

A college freshman is facing a public intoxication charge after he opened the rear door of a police car, got in, and requested a ride to his University of Iowa dormitory, police report.

John Louis Chapman, 18, was busted around 11 PM last night in downtown Iowa City, blocks from his Burge Hall residence, according to a criminal complaint.

The tipsy Chapman allegedly approached a police cruiser stopped in traffic and asked cop Don Strong for a ride home. After the University of Iowa Public Safety officer told the student to return to the sidewalk, Chapman opened the squad car’s rear door and got into the vehicle.

Chapman had “bloodshot, watery eyes, and smelled of digested alcohol,” Officer Strong noted. A subsequent Breathalyzer test recorded the minor’s blood alcohol content at .236, nearly three times the legal limit.

Chapman remains in custody this morning at the county jail on the misdemeanor charge.

Meet Christopher Janson.

The University of Iowa student was arrested late Friday night for public drunkenness and indecent conduct (for peeing in an Iowa City alley). Janson was collared after cops spotted him “almost falling over when zipping up his pants.”

When confronted by officers, the 18-year-old Janson--who smelled of booze and had slurred speech--coined a phrase never previously seen in police reports.

Concerned about possible criminal charges, Janson asked Iowa City cops about the criteria for “publicurintoxication.” That marvelous conflation of misdemeanor activities--which, in Janson’s defense, do often go hand in hand--is not currently seen in the state’s official criminal statutes.

Does anyone have insight as to how strict Iowa is with their student tickets? At TCF, as long as you have a student ticket and an ID (man, woman, alien, zombie, doesn't matter...) they will pretty much let you in. Is it similar at Kinnick?

I'm still able to get in with my college ID and I graduated three years ago. If you have a student ticket but no ID, enter through any exit EXCEPT the south entrance (where the big Nile Kinnick statue is) or the southwest entrance (the main student entrance). Ushers at other gates often don't differentiate between tickets.

Iowa fans in Iowa City are much better than the ones that are up here, but there are a few turds in the lot.

2003 was my first trip to IC, and our group parked and pregamed in the now-defunct Olive Court area. We forgot to put away the ketchup and mustard when we went in the game, and we noticed our car was a little dirty when we got back. The folks next to us had left early, and returned to find our car covered with the contents of said ketchup and mustard bottles. They cleaned up the mess, then told us to chow down on their chili. Considering it was a cold, wet afternoon, that was mighty tasty chili.

I was never able to experience Olive Court but from everything I have heard that isn't too surprising. The administration cracked down on tailgating in 2010 and the atmosphere has since been subdued in university-owned lots.

You're a good sport!

One last question: Do you think overnight parking will be required with the wrestling meet the next day? How does it work, they literally will have someone working the lot at night? We're going to have 2 cars, so if need be, we could have one parked overnight and then just pick up & head back to downtown.

You're a good sport!

One last question: Do you think overnight parking will be required with the wrestling meet the next day? How does it work, they literally will have someone working the lot at night? We're going to have 2 cars, so if need be, we could have one parked overnight and then just pick up & head back to downtown.

Yup, they open at 7pm and they will have parking attendants at the entrance. Parking a car there the night before is the way to go. Just leave everything in the car until the next day and walk from your hotel. There's a gas station down the hill if you need more beer/ice. Myrtle's the place to be!

Bump. Time to start looking ahead.

Iowa fans are worse than Badger fans. Sad but true.

And according to various Hogeyes fans who have stayed at our lodging in Bayfield, Minnesota fans are far worse than Becky fans.

Me?

Becky are far worse and its not even close.

Most Iowa fans at Kinnick are decent to be around, however, there are plenty of drunken idiots. I have had both good and bad experiences there.

From Buffalo over on Sunday... https://twitter.com/ImDrunkRex/status/663514075985551360

Is this a preview of what we can expect to see in the cornfields this weekend???

As I drink my morning coffee and field text messages about this Saturday from friends, that may not be out of the realm of possibility. It seems fans attending the wrestling meet are going to be rolling in by 8-9am. I'd suggest parking Friday night to ensure a spot. The university may regret this twin-bill come Sunday.

As far as I can tell, neither the Alumni Association or the Goal Line club are organizing a tailgate. Does anyone know differently. I was hoping to walk in to the game so would prefer this option. Thanks.

As far as I can tell, neither the Alumni Association or the Goal Line club are organizing a tailgate. Does anyone know differently. I was hoping to walk in to the game so would prefer this option. Thanks.

I was kind of hoping to find out the same thing? Anyone know how much of the allotment was sold?

Does anyone know if we either sold out our allotment or gave it back?

Does anyone know if we either sold out our allotment or gave it back?

I think the Gophers sold their allotment. A few people on HR called the UI ticket office hoping tickets were returned but were told there would be no additional tickets released.

Spoof, below is what the GLC is organzing. Just a meet up at a bar, but better than nothing:

Gopher Gathering Spot in Iowa City
Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Airliner
22 South Clinton Street
Iowa City, IA 52240

Join other Gopher fans and mingle with locals on Saturday afternoon. No reservation or registration required. No formal program. Fans are on their own for their food and refreshments. Arrive early – this place is a lively and jam-packed Hawkeye-focused sports bar serving pizza and pub grub.

Spoof, below is what the GLC is organzing. Just a meet up at a bar, but better than nothing:

Gopher Gathering Spot in Iowa City
Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Airliner
22 South Clinton Street
Iowa City, IA 52240

Join other Gopher fans and mingle with locals on Saturday afternoon. No reservation or registration required. No formal program. Fans are on their own for their food and refreshments. Arrive early – this place is a lively and jam-packed Hawkeye-focused sports bar serving pizza and pub grub.

Thanks. I'll likely check it out.

Dumb question, but I am going to Iowa City to the game. Sitting in Section 138. Does anyone know where the Gopher Visiting Ticket allotments are? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Dumb question, but I am going to Iowa City to the game. Sitting in Section 138. Does anyone know where the Gopher Visiting Ticket allotments are? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Other side of the endzone 132

Is it worth taking a chance going down without tickets and hope to get them from scalpers right before game time.
Anyone done this before I know tix are running high.

Is it worth taking a chance going down without tickets and hope to get them from scalpers right before game time.
Anyone done this before I know tix are running high.

There is always someone with a ticket, but unless you're ready to pay you'll have to wait outside a bit for the game to start for prices to come down. There will be more fans in IC than seats this weekend, which is abnormal because Iowa can't sell out its stadium this year.

I've been to Iowa City twice for Gopher/Hawkeye games. Actually had great experiences both games. Something happens to Iowa fans when they travel north.

I also think Wisconsin tailgating is a little overrated and at the same time I think Iowa is a little underrated. Whoever is going will have a great time!

Anyone have a read on the tailgating scene yet today? Me and 6 others are going to the game and are staying with relatives about and hour from Iowa City. We are planning to arrive in IC around 1130 in hopes of securing a tailgating spot. Going to try the golf course and other pay to park areas first. The wrestling dual at Kinnick has me worried!! Nonetheless, the sun is shining in this Godforsaken state this morning and it looks like its going to be a beautiful day/night for a Gopher beat down! SKIUMAH my friends!

Top Bottom