Iowa and Tailgating!

DougMN

Reaction score
I'm heading to Iowa with a large group and we are planning on tailgating. Does anyone have any recommendations for Lots based on experience? Should you have a Parking Pass or will the day-of drive in lots be OK? ANY information and input would be greatly appreciated.

I've tried to research online- but everything is pretty vague as to how things work.

Drive in and pay with no ticket for the golf course. Plenty of space to stretch out. And then leave a few hours before game time and hit up all the front yard tailgates on the way to the stadium.

There is a parking lot at the corner of 2nd St and Mormon Trek Rd (SE corner, entrance of MT Rd), off the Coralville strip. It is the lot for the university softball fields and is used for football parking. I believe it is $10. It's probably a mile walk to the stadium, but provides easy access in and out of the Coralville/IC area to/from the Interstate. Tailgating is allowed.
If you want a more embedded experience, there are lots (university and private) off of Melrose Avenue, between Sunset and Mormon Trek. There will be a lot of drunk Hawkeyes fans on the mile or more walk to the stadium. There is a lot more traffic and fans along this road. It is a more raucous tailgating venue.
One caution that I have if you drive through Cedar Rapids. There is a speed trap on I-380 in the city using photo enforced radar. I received a ticket a few weeks after driving through in September. It is a money grab by Cedar Rapids, and they have nailed a large number of Minnesotans per an article in the StarTrib from May.

Drive in and pay with no ticket for the golf course. Plenty of space to stretch out. And then leave a few hours before game time and hit up all the front yard tailgates on the way to the stadium.

We have parked there in the past and will do the same this year. Like DL said there is lots of space. We may tailgate weather permitting. Its less than a mile walk to Kinnick.

I works best if you drive in from the west to avoid the congestion around the campus.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...39,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xe945a5588325677a

Cover up your gopher gear, unless you want to get spat on and beer poured on you. Classy bunch they have there at Kinnick

If you're planning on leaving for home after the game I would suggest parking near the Coral Ridge Mall (right of I-80) and taking the Hawkeye Express to the stadium for $10. The Express allows the easiest way back on the interstate following the game.

The golf course referenced above is the Finkbine Golf Course Lot. I have never tailgated there but it seems to be well regarded. One word of caution: if it rains during the week and the grass is wet they will likely close the lot; have a backup plan.

Lot 65W is another option if you're coming in the day of the game. It's kind of wide open with grass partitions that are great for lawn games. This lot is fairly tame with few students.

If you are looking for the 25-30 crowd and the drinking that goes along with it I would suggest the Myrtle Lot. Once upon a time it was filled with students but now it has evolved into the lot for recent graduates. You might encounter some ribbing but it's no different that a TCF lot for an opposing fan.

Oh, and to bemidji's quip about drunk fans, every fan base has their a**holes. 95% of Iowa fans aren't going to dump beer on you (unless you're an Iowa State fan).

Cover up your gopher gear, unless you want to get spat on and beer poured on you. Classy bunch they have there at Kinnick

I hate Iowa, but i've never had an issue with their fans.

I really hope there is a great crowd of Minnesota fans down there, I honestly think this is going to be a great game.

I've had less issues with Iowa fans in Iowa City (only one issue in 4 separate trips there) than I have here in Minneapolis. Must be something about all the big tall skyscrapers.....

Our tentative plan for 11/14 is the Myrtle Lot, but that could change. The other options are 65 & the golf course.

There is a parking lot at the corner of 2nd St and Mormon Trek Rd (SE corner, entrance of MT Rd), off the Coralville strip. It is the lot for the university softball fields and is used for football parking. I believe it is $10. It's probably a mile walk to the stadium, but provides easy access in and out of the Coralville/IC area to/from the Interstate. Tailgating is allowed.
If you want a more embedded experience, there are lots (university and private) off of Melrose Avenue, between Sunset and Mormon Trek. There will be a lot of drunk Hawkeyes fans on the mile or more walk to the stadium. There is a lot more traffic and fans along this road. It is a more raucous tailgating venue.
One caution that I have if you drive through Cedar Rapids. There is a speed trap on I-380 in the city using photo enforced radar. I received a ticket a few weeks after driving through in September. It is a money grab by Cedar Rapids, and they have nailed a large number of Minnesotans per an article in the StarTrib from May.
I also got "caught" in that trap....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've had less issues with Iowa fans in Iowa City (only one issue in 4 separate trips there) than I have here in Minneapolis. Must be something about all the big tall skyscrapers.....

Our tentative plan for 11/14 is the Myrtle Lot, but that could change. The other options are 65 & the golf course.

I'll see ya there. I'll be the guy in Black and Gold.

Will the U organize a tailgate where I just show up with $$ and they have food/bevs?

One should never cover up their Maroon & Gold, or really any school colors for that matter. Never. Always proud to sport the colors no matter where you are......dickheads around or not.

Ski-U-Mah!

I hate Iowa, but i've never had an issue with their fans.

I really hope there is a great crowd of Minnesota fans down there, I honestly think this is going to be a great game.

Agree. And I too hope a good number of our Gopher brothers & sisters make the trip to IC to cheer on our boys.

I'll see ya there. I'll be the guy in Black and Gold.

I'll look for ya....

I was thinking about just yelling out "I'm looking for FatNTired," but I don't want the entire parking lot to raise their hands. :D

I'll look for ya....

I was thinking about just yelling out "I'm looking for FatNTired," but I don't want the entire parking lot to raise their hands. :D

:clap: And that's inherently possible!

I do hope everyone headed to IC enjoys their stay. I'm Iowa-born and and Iowa grad but I've lived in Minnesota the majority of my life, meaning I'm used to ribbing from Gopher fans. My Gopher friends have always been treated respectfully in Iowa City and I've never been treated poorly in Minnesota, even when sitting in the student section at TCF.

As a note, there is a wrestling match in Kinnick Stadium Nov. 14 at noon. All of the parking suggestions reign true for a normal game but no one is exactly sure what next Saturday will bring with the added event.

Thanks a lot for the info! I guess I was most concerned about heading down there without a Reserved Spot. I think we'll try to get a spot at a Drive-In Lot. We are not a young group- but not old either. We will not be driving home and plan on whooping it up before and after. Especially if we win.

Really looking forward to this game as it is my first trip to Iowa City! Hoping for a great, competitive game with an obvious Gopher victory! :)

Group of eight of us headed down for the weekend with a couple of us planning to take in the wrestling match before tailgating. Apparently they have sold 30,000 tickets for the wrestling match at Kinnick, so it is going to be a bit crazy Saturday.

For those staying Friday night, I highly suggest taking in the downtown Ped Mall. It'll be buzzing with a few thousand college students but there are plenty of watering holes that cater to the middle-aged crowd. I'll do my best to list some decent places:

Donnelly's Irish Pub
Mickey's
Joe's Place (my favorite non-dive bar)
Blue Moose (very cool and they have Das Boot for those wanting to show off)
Sanctuary (a few blocks from downtown but they have 27 taps for beer snobs)
The (old) Vine (there are two locations but the original is next door to the Sanctuary -- my favorite place in Iowa City)
TCB (decent beer list, 20 or so pool tables, and shuffleboard)

For those not afraid to rub elbows with the younger generation:
The Sports Column (there's always a strong contingent of middle-aged gents, visiting fans included)
Brother's
DC's
Fieldhouse
Martini's

Avoid at all costs:
S(c)ummit
Union

For those staying Friday night, I highly suggest taking in the downtown Ped Mall. It'll be buzzing with a few thousand college students but there are plenty of watering holes that cater to the middle-aged crowd. I'll do my best to list some decent places:

Donnelly's Irish Pub
Mickey's
Joe's Place (my favorite non-dive bar)
Blue Moose (very cool and they have Das Boot for those wanting to show off)
Sanctuary (a few blocks from downtown but they have 27 taps for beer snobs)
The (old) Vine (there are two locations but the original is next door to the Sanctuary -- my favorite place in Iowa City)
TCB (decent beer list, 20 or so pool tables, and shuffleboard)

For those not afraid to rub elbows with the younger generation:
The Sports Column (there's always a strong contingent of middle-aged gents, visiting fans included)
Brother's
DC's
Fieldhouse
Martini's

Avoid at all costs:
S(c)ummit
Union

I know the Goal Line Club usually finds a bar or central meeting spot for Gopher fans, but any in particular you would recommend? (for Game Day on Saturday, I mean)

I know the Goal Line Club usually finds a bar or central meeting spot for Gopher fans, but any in particular you would recommend? (for Game Day on Saturday, I mean)

If you're looking for food with your beer (for those who actually eat while drinking *rolls eyes*) I'd try the old Vine. Lived across the street from it in the college days and the wings are fantastic.

If you're simply looking to drink before heading across the river I'd go with Joe's Place. Plenty big for no matter the size of your group and there isn't cover (though I don't think that should be a worry before the game).

It's probably a 15-20 minute walk from downtown to the stadium (kinda like walking from TCF to Dinkytown) but you can jump on a bus at the Pentacrest that will drop you off a few blocks from the stadium.

If you're looking for food with your beer (for those who actually eat while drinking *rolls eyes*) I'd try the old Vine. Lived across the street from it in the college days and the wings are fantastic.

If you're simply looking to drink before heading across the river I'd go with Joe's Place. Plenty big for no matter the size of your group and there isn't cover (though I don't think that should be a worry before the game).

It's probably a 15-20 minute walk from downtown to the stadium (kinda like walking from TCF to Dinkytown) but you can jump on a bus at the Pentacrest that will drop you off a few blocks from the stadium.

Excellent! Thanks! Also, I don't mind the walking portion as in our groups quest to knock out all the B1G Ten Stadiums, it at least lets you see a part of campus and things like that. Last year, we walked all over Madison, although that was mostly due to the lack of anyone having a charged phone trying to request an Uber. haha. :banghead:

Thanks a lot for the info! I guess I was most concerned about heading down there without a Reserved Spot. I think we'll try to get a spot at a Drive-In Lot. We are not a young group- but not old either. We will not be driving home and plan on whooping it up before and after. Especially if we win.

Hopefully no Irishmen steal your hotel toilet paper this year!

Does anyone have insight as to how strict Iowa is with their student tickets? At TCF, as long as you have a student ticket and an ID (man, woman, alien, zombie, doesn't matter...) they will pretty much let you in. Is it similar at Kinnick?

Been there numerous times have never heard or seen that happen. Only been offered a beer after some friendly trash talk.

Iowa fans are worse than Badger fans. Sad but true.

Iowa fans are worse than Badger fans. Sad but true.

Most fans in Iowa City are quite civil and much better than the Iowa fans that used to drive in from the TC suburbs to the Metrodome. The Iowa fans at TCF have been small in numbers and fairly humble. My last trip to Iowa City was great other than the Cranky 35-50 year old Iowa ticket holders I was wedged in, next to. We have so much more personal space at TCF in our seats.

So back to the PED Mall, which is one of the greatest things I have ever encountered on a football road trip. After the loss down there last time the weather was very warm, sunny and the Ped Mall did not disappoint. There are all sorts of drinking and eating establishments that cater to all age groups, and the Iowa Students walking around went out of there way to acknowledge the GF and me, as we walked around in our Gopher shirts. The people in all the bars were very great as well. I have never had any trouble in IC other than a few young packs of male fans shouting at us before the game, which is always expected, and not really personal.

Lastly, the Finkbine Golf lot is good on a number of levels. You can head to the west side of Iowa City/ Corallville to avoid the main traffic, and still work your way back east a couple of miles to the Golf Course. It is not expensive and there is a lot of space. The walk down Melrose Ave. to the stadium is not that far and has some entertainment along the way. You can also get out fairly quick if you are heading to Cedar Rapids or back home shortly after the game.

For my money, I'd rather be in the in the thick of things around some of the Iowa fans, or better yet down on the PED mall, but I do not always tailgate, but like hitting a few bars. If you have a big group that may not all arrive at once the Finkbine Golf lot is a good idea.

Iowa fans in Iowa City are much better than the ones that are up here, but there are a few turds in the lot.

2003 was my first trip to IC, and our group parked and pregamed in the now-defunct Olive Court area. We forgot to put away the ketchup and mustard when we went in the game, and we noticed our car was a little dirty when we got back. The folks next to us had left early, and returned to find our car covered with the contents of said ketchup and mustard bottles. They cleaned up the mess, then told us to chow down on their chili. Considering it was a cold, wet afternoon, that was mighty tasty chili.

Halloween Reveler Wearing Only Trench Coat And Fake Penis Arrested For Drunk Driving. Then Things Got Weird...

After being arrested for drunk driving, a Halloween reveler wearing only a trench coat and “a piece of cloth that looked like a penis” attempted to eat toilet paper in a bid to foil a Breathalyzer test, Iowa police report.

Cops yesterday pulled over Ross McDonald, 39, after they spotted him driving the wrong way on an Iowa City street around 3 AM. According to a criminal complaint, McDonald was “extremely confused” and could not tell officers “what bar he was coming from.”

McDonald, who claimed to have consumed two drinks, had bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, and unsteady balance, cops noted. He also appeared to be dressed in a “flasher” costume: “Def was only wearing a trench coat and a piece of cloth that looked like a penis.”

Upon arrival at the police precinct, McDonald “attempted to eat toilet paper, thinking it would mess with” the Breathalyzer. McDonald had initially refused the breath test, but “changed his mind after attempting to eat the toilet paper.”

Despite McDonald’s cunning plan, his blood alcohol content was measured at .165, twice the legal limit.

Since McDonald has prior drunk driving convictions, he was hit with a felony charge carrying a maximum five-year prison sentence. McDonald was released from jail yesterday afternoon after posting $5000 bond.

Top Bottom