invalid fair catch signal

was listening to a podcast and once again, the hosts completely misunderstood the situation. they both thought the refs were saying that DeJean had indicated a fair catch, and kept on saying "that's not a fair catch signal."

well, they were right - it wasn't a fair catch signal. But that is not the rule that was being enforced.

I don't expect everyone to be an expect on the rule book. but for a play that received national attention, if you were going to discuss it on a podcast, you would think the hosts would at least try to understand what they were talking about. Except - the outrage makes better listening - or so they seem to think.

The best part of this whole thing is that it happened as Iowa was heading into a bye week. So their fans have nothing to do but obsess about the play and their offense for 2 solid weeks. :)
This just keeps getting better and better. 😊

Quick answer would you think it was the right call if the situation was reversed?
The call was objectively right. This isn't some borderline PI where maroon and gold glasses could have you arguing you got screwed no matter which side you were on. This was cut and dry. The call was right no matter what team was on what aide.

While I enjoy their ESPN sideline game casts in lieu of traditional broadcasts nobody is going to get smarter listening to this crew. To save everyone from 7 minutes of dumbassery FF to the 7 minute mark. It’s obvious not one of them understands the rule, researched the rule, understands the purpose of the rule.

Seemed that outside of the butthurt iaowen fan.....they were mostly taking shots at the refereeing crew. I mean....this could have all been avoided if it had simply been blown dead.

Have to say.....I am enjoying the hawkeyes whining however.

This just keeps getting better and better.

palpatine-hate.gif

was listening to a podcast and once again, the hosts completely misunderstood the situation. they both thought the refs were saying that DeJean had indicated a fair catch, and kept on saying "that's not a fair catch signal."

well, they were right - it wasn't a fair catch signal. But that is not the rule that was being enforced.

I don't expect everyone to be an expect on the rule book. but for a play that received national attention, if you were going to discuss it on a podcast, you would think the hosts would at least try to understand what they were talking about. Except - the outrage makes better listening - or so they seem to think.
Correct. I tried to make this point when I was talking about how bad chip scoggins’ article was

100% of people agree it wasn’t a fair catch

Quick answer would you think it was the right call if the situation was reversed?

the exact same penalty was called against Minnesota earlier this season. Now, that punt was not returned for a TD - but it was the same penalty. the difference is that in the earlier game, it was called on the field.

sure, if MN lost a TD because of this rule, I don't think anyone would be happy.

BUT - that would require the MN punt return team to actually
A. return a punt, and
B. return a punt for a TD

If that happened, we would all be dead of the shock anyway, so there would be no MN fans left to complain.

the exact same penalty was called against Minnesota earlier this season. Now, that punt was not returned for a TD - but it was the same penalty. the difference is that in the earlier game, it was called on the field.

sure, if MN lost a TD because of this rule, I don't think anyone would be happy.

A. return a punt, and

If that happened, we would all be dead of the shock anyway, so there would be no MN fans left to complain.
Actually, if it happened exactly the same way to the Gophs (return for a TD) we would be shocked for like 5-10seconds, and then realize it's just another piece of a long history of being a MN sports fan and being disappointed, one again. Glad they got the call correct.

A. return a punt, and

Part of the issue too is that they don't actually throw a flag for these type of fouls. These type of plays are where officials use bean bags to mark the end of a punt. Sometimes the head official doesn't even announce it. The back judge and side officials just communicate and put it where it is supposed to be.

And I returned punts at the D1 level. Maybe Maxy can answer and explain the discrepancy in the number of time we see this, versus the number of times it is called. I'll wait on that.
You only thing that I truly believe you returned is being dumb fan.

A. return a punt, and

And Hell would have frozen over. :)

I do like Dejeans comment that he was flapping his arm to maintain balance. Actually pretty creative, he can’t say he was waiving teammates off or was faking a fair catch because those would suggest he either doesn’t know what he’s doing or trying to sneak one by the refs. Much better to use the balance thing since it preserves the impression that Iowa got a bad call … but still a weak argument since nobody runs in a straight line like that for balance.

This is spectacular. Listen to the whole sequence here from the Iowa radio call:

Start at 4:12:25

Call during the return: "Cooper Dejean says get away from it"..."Cooper DeJean was waving for everybody to get away from the ball..."

During the review: "He did wave his arm, I thought he waved his arm for everybody to get away from the ball..."

After the overturn: "Where did he wave?"

Absolute gold.
I posted this before for reference:

Rewatching Football in 60 version. Gopher punt at 12:30 2nd. DeJean waves left arm in nearly exact same manner as “the punt”. Waves and points with right. Appears to have perfect balance. Ball rolls dead.

Gopher punt at 4:30. DeJean points at ball with both hands. No “swinging of arms”. Ball rolls dead.

Gopher punt at 0:00. DeJean points at ball with both hands. No “swinging of arms”. Ball rolls dead.

Gopher punt at 4:40 3rd. DeJean does last second legal fair catch signal a fraction of a second before ball gets there. No other arm movements of any kind before the catch. Appears to have perfect balance.

Gopher punt at 12:52 4th. DeJean shoves Nubin, does last second fair catch signal and draws interference penalty. No other arm movements. Appears to have perfect balance despite being “fouled”.

Gopher punt at 4:35 4th. DeJean does last second legal fair catch signal a fraction of a second before ball gets there. No other arm movements of any kind before the catch. Appears to have perfect balance.

Gopher punt at 1:40 4th. DeJean points at ball with right arm and waves left arm FIVE full circular cycles. You know the rest. Appears to have perfect balance.

Who do you believe? Liar #1 or Liar #2 or the evidence?

Even if he were trying to keep his balance, it wouldn't matter - the rules don't care why you're flapping your arms, only that you're flapping your arms. It's still holding, for example, even if you didn't mean to hold.
The rule states that the receiver can shield his eyes from the sun. The rule says nothing about balance.

Iowa fans still blaming the officials for the bad call etc the right overturn.

Tell Dejean to run right. Problem solved, Iowa fans.

Still no mea culpa out of Iowa City? I propose sending a carton of Kleenex to the complex to help the overcome this devastating event.

As someone living in Iowa, it's been amazing the amount of luck that program has had over the years. The way they are reacting to this is like someone who has never had a ball bounce against them in their lives. The number of games they've won because another team has shanked a punt, or fumbled a snap, or a tipped ball that just happens to land in the "right" hands is incredible. It honestly has been very tough to watch as a Minnesota fan who has seen things like MBS turning a sure touchdown in to an interception in route to losing as a 10 point favorite far too often. It's pathetic that it has come out that Iowa committed TWO infractions on this play (invalid fair catch and leaving your feet to block a kick after being lined up inside the tackle box) and their fans still act like they were somehow wronged.

I've really been disappointed that the Minnesota media has given this air time and not treated Ferentz and Iowa fans like clowns for whining about this. Can you imagine the sarcasm coming from the Reusse's of the world if PJ dared to complain about a correctly called infraction that "cost" him a game when his team put up like 2 yards of total offense in the 2nd half?

As someone living in Iowa, it's been amazing the amount of luck that program has had over the years. The way they are reacting to this is like someone who has never had a ball bounce against them in their lives. The number of games they've won because another team has shanked a punt, or fumbled a snap, or a tipped ball that just happens to land in the "right" hands is incredible. It honestly has been very tough to watch as a Minnesota fan who has seen things like MBS turning a sure touchdown in to an interception in route to losing as a 10 point favorite far too often. It's pathetic that it has come out that Iowa committed TWO infractions on this play (invalid fair catch and leaving your feet to block a kick after being lined up inside the tackle box) and their fans still act like they were somehow wronged.

I've really been disappointed that the Minnesota media has given this air time and not treated Ferentz and Iowa fans like clowns for whining about this. Can you imagine the sarcasm coming from the Reusse's of the world if PJ dared to complain about a correctly called infraction that "cost" him a game when his team put up like 2 yards of total offense in the 2nd half?
Ferentz oftens seems to get a pass down here, for some really objectioanble behavior and statements. Good coach, lousy human being.

Iowa fans still blaming the officials for the bad call etc the right overturn.

That guy goes on to say that he was just trying to point at the ball with both hands and that "you try to keep your arm perfectly straight while running".

Um, he essentially did just that with his right arm.

1. He didn't wave his arm above his head.
2. He usually uses his right arm to call a fair catch so refs should have known he wasn't trying to call a fair catch.
3. His left arm was pointing at the ball also.
4. His left arm wasn't waving.
5. It's never called or I've watched a lot of football and have never seen it called.
6. It wasn't called on the field initially.
7. It's not a challengeable play.
8. It's not obvious on every camera angle.
9. It should have been a penalty on MN because they tried to tackle him.
10. The refs just made up the rule to hurt Iowa.
11. He was just trying to keep his balance.

Am I missing anything?

Top Bottom