invalid fair catch signal

1. He didn't wave his arm above his head.
2. He usually uses his right arm to call a fair catch so refs should have known he wasn't trying to call a fair catch.
3. His left arm was pointing at the ball also.
4. His left arm wasn't waving.
5. It's never called or I've watched a lot of football and have never seen it called.
6. It wasn't called on the field initially.
7. It's not a challengeable play.
8. It's not obvious on every camera angle.
9. It should have been a penalty on MN because they tried to tackle him.
10. The refs just made up the rule to hurt Iowa.

Am I missing anything?
I saw an argument that "everyone" except Minnesota fans knows it was the wrong call....

That was a weird claim as I've found the opposite.

Quick answer would you think it was the right call if the situation was reversed?

You need to better understand the unique nature of Minnesota football fans. If you did understand it, you wouldn't ask.

A few years ago the Gophers were playing a close game vs Purdue. I don't remember the exact circumstance, but a pass interference call went in the Gophers favor, and it impacted the outcome of the game.

There were several Minnesota fans right here on Gopher Hole who seemed almost outraged that Purdue got "screwed" and that the Gophers were "lucky" to win.

Minnesota fans are not like Ioweegians.

2. He usually uses his right arm to call a fair catch so refs should have known he wasn't trying to call a fair catch.
5. It's never called or I've watched a lot of football and have never seen it called.
11. He was just trying to keep his balance.

Am I missing anything?
12. The defenders didn't slow down in anticipation of a fair catch.
13. You can't call that in a rivalry game.
14. My sister gave me chladmydia.

Just a few of the other responses I've seen come out of Iowa City

What's the over/under on how many times invalid fair catch will be called this week?

It was on the officials video review for the week.

I've really been disappointed that the Minnesota media has given this air time and not treated Ferentz and Iowa fans like clowns for whining about this. Can you imagine the sarcasm coming from the Reusse's of the world if PJ dared to complain about a correctly called infraction that "cost" him a game when his team put up like 2 yards of total offense in the 2nd half?

former Gopher Derek Burns was on the Golden Gopher podcast and he ripped Ferentz for his response. said 'playing the victim' is a bad look for a veteran coach.

Am I missing anything?
16. Big Ten didn't want Iowa to play in the Big Ten Championship game so they rigged it for Minnesota.
17. Refs had ties to Nebraska and Wisconsin so biased against Iowa
18. Big Ten office is covering for officials in saying it was the right call.

I have been lurking on one of their forums and they are still complaining about it which is awesome. Many of their fans are accepting the fact that with or without the call if their offense does anything....I mean literally anything at all in the second half they probably win the game. That is where their real anger should be directed.

16. Big Ten didn't want Iowa to play in the Big Ten Championship game so they rigged it for Minnesota.
17. Refs had ties to Nebraska and Wisconsin so biased against Iowa
18. Big Ten office is covering for officials in saying it was the right call.

I have been lurking on one of their forums and they are still complaining about it which is awesome. Many of their fans are accepting the fact that with or without the call if their offense does anything....I mean literally anything at all in the second half they probably win the game. That is where their real anger should be directed.

They only needed moderate success in the last 1:22 after the call to win the game. Advance 20-25 yds with a TO and wind at their back for a FG. No bacon.

C'mon those are all preposterous, except for 14! I hear that's quite common in most of Iowa!

15. 19. He is a very smart player and would never do such a thing.
20. Tyreek Hill hates Iowa.

Am I missing anything?
Let's not forget: Ferentz made sure to go over fair catch procedures with the officials before the game so that type of thing would not occur. Straight from Dickhead's mouth.

Also, just comparing the college and NFL rules on the fair catch. The college rule is more restrictive. Any waving of the hands, even below the shoulders is considered an invalid fair catch in the NCAA. The call was indisputably correct in the Iowa game.

Most of the Iowa folks never did understand the difference between signaling for a fair catch vs giving an invalid fair catch signal.

“His hand didn’t go above his shoulder!”

They literally are incapable of understanding WHAT was actually called, let alone understanding it was a correct call.

Most of the Iowa folks never did understand the difference between signaling for a fair catch vs giving an invalid fair catch signal.

“His hand didn’t go above his shoulder!”

They literally are incapable of understanding WHAT was actually called, let alone understanding it was a correct call.
The more they talk about it the dumber they look.

can't wait to taunt their ass again sept 21. as i walk around the stadium pregame, every time i see iowa fan i'm going to point and waive my arm sideways. confident we're going to beat them at home. get in the boat!

can't wait to taunt their ass again sept 21. as i walk around the stadium pregame, every time i see iowa fan i'm going to point and waive my arm sideways. confident we're going to beat them at home. get in the boat!
Do that in the beer line. When they all look up like a bunch of idiots, go to the front of the line.

I hope that the Gophers marketing team will have the crowd / student section doing something during that came to constantly punk the Iowa fans.
Should put these all over the place.
45SU.gif

I hope that the Gophers marketing team will have the crowd / student section doing something during that came to constantly punk the Iowa fans.
How about playing The Eagles’ “Get Over It” about, oh . . . every 10 minutes, accompanying “that” highlight?

Top Bottom