invalid fair catch signal

Correct call, even though he wasnt signalling fair catch.
What was he signaling? That's what the Iowa program has never explained. The only comment is to say what he was not calling, which doesn't go far.

What was he signaling? That's what the Iowa program has never explained. The only comment is to say what he was not calling, which doesn't go far.

And what was he pointing at? Was the right hand point for balance too?.....or was that just part of the performance so that they could claim plausible deniability.

Watching the replay of Pat McAfee Show tonight and both he and Aaron Rodgers thought the invalid fair catch was a shit call. 🤷‍♂️
Just watched it online after seeing it this afternoon with the volume off.
They all thought the call was ”fair catch” not “invalid fair catch”. So they didn’t even know what they were talking about.

Rodgers was a great player (not coming back from an Achilles at his age) and a future HOFer. However, as a person calling him a dope is probably being overly nice.
I’m known around this town as an overly nice guy.

Rodgers was a great player (not coming back from an Achilles at his age) and a future HOFer. However, as a person calling him a dope is probably being overly nice. By that I mean he's more of a Richard with a capital "D".
Was also weird how he was laying on a couch and pretty clearly stoned or had a few drinks. Or he’s just really slow.

Just watched it online after seeing it this afternoon with the volume off.
They all thought the call was ”fair catch” not “invalid fair catch”. So they didn’t even know what they were talking about.
And that is the maddening thing about all of this. That, and "his arm wasn't even above the shoulders!"
Even the Iowa radio announcers are total dimwits.

This was pretty hilarious.

While I enjoy their ESPN sideline game casts in lieu of traditional broadcasts nobody is going to get smarter listening to this crew. To save everyone from 7 minutes of dumbassery FF to the 7 minute mark. It’s obvious not one of them understands the rule, researched the rule, understands the purpose of the rule.

And that is the maddening thing about all of this. That, and "his arm wasn't even above the shoulders!"
Even the Iowa radio announcers are total dimwits.
And even now, after the explanation from the rules experts and the conference, it seems the most common reactions are "well what do you expect, the referees are protecting their own" or "of course the conference isn't going to say they made a mistake."

And even now, after the explanation from the rules experts and the conference, it seems the most common reactions are "well what do you expect, the referees are protecting their own" or "of course the conference isn't going to say they made a mistake."
The funny thing is the conference admitted they missed a penalty on that exact same play.

That and with the people who actually understand the rule you get a lot of the...."well the rule is never enforced"....or "It is a stupid rule".....

Sad the number of people pontificating about it that have no clue what they are even talking about and are just being outraged to be outraged.

But as I said in an earlier post I love the fact that Iowa fans have nothing to do but stew on it and obsess about it for multiple weeks since they don't have a game this weekend.

That and with the people who actually understand the rule you get a lot of the...."well the rule is never enforced"....or "It is a stupid rule".....

Sad the number of people pontificating about it that have no clue what they are even talking about and are just being outraged to be outraged.

But as I said in an earlier post I love the fact that Iowa fans have nothing to do but stew on it and obsess about it for multiple weeks since they don't have a game this weekend.
What made this instance so unique is it went to replay. That rarely happens. But the rule is enforced frequently. It's just usually called right away.

Last edited:

What made this instance so you unique is it went to replay. That rarely happens. But the rule is enforced frequently. It's just usually called right away.
Same as a false start. Play is blown dead.

What made this instance so unique is it went to replay. That rarely happens. But the rule is enforced frequently. It's just usually called right away.
That is a big part of it. Because there is no flag a lot of people think the rule is never enforced but I would bet that the vast majority of the time that if a returner gives a "Peter" call and waves his arms there is no attempt made to return the punt meaning nothing would get called on the field.

I guarantee punt returners at the college level know that if they waive their arms at all it is a dead ball if they catch it or pick it up.

That is a big part of it. Because there is no flag a lot of people think the rule is never enforced but I would bet that the vast majority of the time that if a returner gives a "Peter" call and waves his arms there is no attempt made to return the punt meaning nothing would get called on the field.

I guarantee punt returners at the college level know that if they waive their arms at all it is a dead ball if they catch it or pick it up.
Fans memories also suck.

I completely forgot that we got that same situation called on us earlier in the year...

Fans memories also suck.
Like every time a player "saves" a punt by leaping into the endzone and batting it back? As soon as it crosses the goal line its dead, but you get that huge percentage of fans that "boo".

Like illegal touching? Same. Ask Nebraska fans.

Like PI on a tipped pass? Same.

I'm also stunned by how many PBP and color analysts know only about half the rules. Like Quint Kessenich.

Top Bottom