invalid fair catch signal

Iowa still crying foul.

this is from this morning.

I know when I run I stick my arm out and wave it in circles Gangnam style. Doesn’t everyone?

Robbed! Robbed!

Dejean, learn to run, you bleeping lying, crying baby. Your coach can teach Brian when he gets run out of town. FFS.

I think I have a new #1 complaint by Iowa fans.

The returner used his right arm all game to call a fair catch so they should know he wasn’t trying to call a fair catch with his left arm.

Yes, let’s make returners declare which arm they’re going to use for valid fair catches. So players on the punt team not only have to look for the arm waving while trying to avoid blockers, they also have to determine if it was by the correct arm.

I know when I run I stick my arm out and wave it in circles Gangnam style. Doesn’t everyone?

Robbed! Robbed!

Dejean, learn to run, you bleeping lying, crying baby. Your coach can teach Brian when he gets run out of town. FFS.

Gangnam style. I might have to steal that one.

I think I have a new #1 complaint by Iowa fans.

The returner used his right arm all game to call a fair catch so they should know he wasn’t trying to call a fair catch with his left arm.

Yes, let’s make returners declare which arm they’re going to use for valid fair catches. So players on the punt team not only have to look for the arm waving while trying to avoid blockers, they also have to determine if it was by the correct arm.
I saw that one too… To their “credit”, they are using this along with the thought that if he wasn’t actually calling for a fair catch, per se, then waving his hand around like an unathletic school kid being a floozy wasn’t illegal. Of course, they are conflating the rules because they haven’t bothered to try to understand them….not that I fully understood to the level I now do prior to yesterday either.

The rule is ambiguous. It was recently revised, but you're an official, so you're aware of this. I can post this and save you the Google search you seem to be relying on. The call was technically correct. That's not the argument. It is never commonly called, and never should have been called in this situation.
Ambiguous? Read the circled part.
IMG_0863.jpeg

Can you define circle? What circle? that’s looks more like a pointing, than any circle. It certainly isn’t wavy.
“Circling” in the way I used it is colloquially understood by 99.9% of readers. I’m guessing you’re being a wise guy, but if you aren’t: the red boundary I made at the bottom of the attachment.

Everybody knows, with his left hand, Cooper was doing the Universial Iowa sign for exhibitionist sex in a metrodome bathroom.
I thought it was practice masturbation. Doesn't everyone do this while pointing at a football? Choker Dejean.

Absolutely pathetic. Iowa should be ashamed they rolled this kid out there.

Yeah “it’s tough when they take it away”….. by enforcing a rule… I believe the windmilling of his arm was an effort to deceive, and was likely instructed. They were desperate. Why not try, it’s not a penalty.

I haven't read some of the pages so maybe this was brought up. But here is Ferentz after the game on the call:

"First of all, I don't know how to coach our guys because we cover that in pregame with the officials each and every game about fair catch procedure, above the head, wave and we also cover point to the ground for an errant kick which there were several of those today."

What an asshole! I'm not sure how much time coaches meet with officials before the game, but Iowa coaches just happen to bring up the fair catch procedure before each game? I get he emphasizes special teams (a hell of a lot more than we do). But to put that much emphasis on it is pretty telling that DeJean was coached to point with one hand and make a half-assed wave with the other hoping to either draw a penalty or get the coverage team to relax, which we did.

It didn't work, Fuckhead, but you're still whining that illegally bending the rules as much as possible didn't pay off.

Video - That's the question asked by a non Iowa fan. Gotta say when you see the field level view that the officials themselves had live it is understandable to me why there was no call on the field. The review booth video is a very different perspective.
I have not read the rule...does his arm have to go above his shoulder? Or no? Can you not move your arms at all other than a normal running arm pump? A return man should have the ability with full stadium screaming to alert his teammates to get out of the way on a short punt. Is there a way to do that without it being an illegal fair catch signal?
It seems we got very lucky.

Last edited:

Top Bottom