invalid fair catch signal

Maxy is a football ref.
And I returned punts at the D1 level. Maybe Maxy can answer and explain the discrepancy in the number of time we see this, versus the number of times it is called. I'll wait on that.

And I returned punts at the D1 level. Maybe Maxy can answer and explain the discrepancy in the number of time we see this, versus the number of times it is called. I'll wait on that.
So do you think rules should be called as written, or ignored?

So you're a former Iowa punt returner? That explains all your posts since you joined the board.

Sure, sure. OK, how much did you lose on the game? Confession time.

Five stages of grief apply here.

Twice after yesterday's game. Not called either time. How often have you seen it called in the last decade? How often have you seen it. Of course it's subjective. Happy with the win, but to say this wasn't an incredibly lucky and controversial call is ignorant. The numbers and facts bear this out. How often seen? Fairly regularly. How often called? rarely.

What's your point. Speaking of factually inaccurate. You have no idea what you're talking about.
What games? Be specific, as you have posted this "twice after yesterday's game" with no details. What games did it happen after yesterday's game?

So do you think rules should be called as written, or ignored?
Was it called on the field? Why do we see this all the time, and why is it rarely ever called? Did I argue it was the incorrect call? Can you link where I indicated the call wasn't technically correct? You don't call this hardly ever, and you should never call this at a critical point in a game if it wasn't called on the filed.

I've seen all sorts of videos posted n here. Every call was called on the filed. And no comments about the non calls in games right after our game.

Minnesota won the game in a lot of ways, but this was a horseshit call, and to state otherwise, in the face of overwhelming evidence is just petty.

Be happy with the win.

Was it called on the field? Why do we see this all the time, and why is it rarely ever called? Did I argue it was the incorrect call? Can you link where I indicated the call wasn't technically correct? You don't call this hardly ever, and you should never call this at a critical point in a game if it wasn't called on the filed.

I've seen all sorts of videos posted n here. Every call was called on the filed. And no comments about the non calls in games right after our game.

Minnesota won the game in a lot of ways, but this was a horseshit call, and to state otherwise, in the face of overwhelming evidence is just petty.

Be happy with the win.
Ref admitted seeing it and letting it go for review. You’re wrong and incredibly butthurt and coming here to argue is incredibly pathetic.

So no one can explain why this happens all the time, but isn't called.

And no one can offer an explanation for what happened in the Arizona State Washington game.

And one poster is apparently an official. At some level of football.

Ha ha.

Twice after yesterday's game. Not called either time. How often have you seen it called in the last decade? How often have you seen it. Of course it's subjective. Happy with the win, but to say this wasn't an incredibly lucky and controversial call is ignorant. The numbers and facts bear this out. How often seen? Fairly regularly. How often called? rarely.

What's your point. Speaking of factually inaccurate. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Twice yesterday you saw guys allowed to wave their arms and proceed to run with the ball?

I agree it is subjective and that is why replay jumped in. Replay is also for game changing, scoring, or competitive advantage.

How far did those plays go for? Did it flip the field? Was there a TD?

Yes we were fortunate that the play was caught, but you brought the same amount of facts as I did.

And no one can offer an explanation for what happened in the Arizona State Washington game.

Ha ha.
And one claims to be a D1 punt returner who doesn’t know the rules. 😂

Ha ha.
So no one can explain why you are whining like a butthurt child.

And Iowa lost.

Ha ha

Twice yesterday you saw guys allowed to wave their arms and proceed to run with the ball?

I agree it is subjective and that is why replay jumped in. Replay is also for game changing, scoring, or competitive advantage.

How far did those plays go for? Did it flip the field? Was there a TD?

Yes we were fortunate that the play was caught, but you brought the same amount of facts as I did.
What level of football did you officiate? Because I'd like that answer before I have some fun with your "facts".

The reality is it's pretty obvious what the answer is.

I'd like you to cite in the rules where your third sentence has any meaningful bearing.
The second sentence in your second paragraph is factually inaccurate.

I'll just let you keep on going, and eventually have some fun.

Too ironic.

While I agree with the call (it was correct), did anyone see the end of the UNC game last night? Virginia punted and the UNC returner was waving BOTH arms. There were a little lower, but it was a clear waving motion and get away from the ball type of thing. Then he picked it up and returned it 5 yards. No call was made and they got the ball where he returned it.

So that one had to be a blown call, right?
yes. but since it didn’t result in a game changing play, it didn’t really matter, and only folks trying to make a lame point care.

Be happy with the win.
It’s called all the time. Saw it three times yesterday.

Yes they missed the call if that is what happened. Missed calls happen. Sometimes if it’s 5 yards, no players reacted to it and no coaches question it, things get missed.

Last week I saw a TD in a HS game with pass interference. In HS that penalty is supposed to be enforced on the kickoff. The refs declined the penalty, kicked the extra point and moved on. No one in the stadium knew. The team should have been able to kick from the +45 after enforcement and likely would have tried an onside kick.

While I agree with the call (it was correct), did anyone see the end of the UNC game last night? Virginia punted and the UNC returner was waving BOTH arms. There were a little lower, but it was a clear waving motion and get away from the ball type of thing. Then he picked it up and returned it 5 yards. No call was made and they got the ball where he returned it.

So that one had to be a blown call, right?

Be happy with the win.
dude. IT IS RARELY CALLED BECAUSE IT IS RARE THAT A RETURNER FLAILS HIS HANDS AROUND EITHER FOR A FAIR CATCH OR TO GET HIS TEAMMATES AWAY AND THEN TRIES TO ACTUALLY RETURN THE BALL. Good grief.

They keep trying to push, “that’s the way he runs”, oh my gosh.
Which is BS because he is pointing his finger with BOTH hands. He also said that he was trying to regain his balance. When has anyone ever pointed just one finger on each hand trying to balance themselves while running in a straight line? He was intentionally using both arms and hands to most likely trying to confuse the defense.

The sad part in all this is that people (especially Iowa fans) don't understand what was actually called. Iowa fans are still complaining that he didn't signal for a fair catch, and they are right, he didn't. But that isn't what was called.

DeJean didn't signal for a fair catch but he did wave his arm which makes it an invalid fair catch signal and a dead ball wherever he decides to field it. Refs were probably surprised he ran it and let the play go as they have been instructed to do when in doubt at all.

The rule is there to keep punt returners from deliberately deceiving the coverage team. If you see the punt returner waving his arms you don't hit him. On the wide view you can clearly see a few defenders let up for the Gophers because they figured the ball would be dead. Doesn't excuse the horrible tackling when he did take off but explains why some guys were out of position.

What level of football did you officiate? Because I'd like that answer before I have some fun with your "facts".

The reality is it's pretty obvious what the answer is.

I'd like you to cite in the rules where your third sentence has any meaningful bearing.
The second sentence in your second paragraph is factually inaccurate.

I'll just let you keep on going, and eventually have some fun.
What’s not factual? There’s the rule book, there’s case books, there is interpretation. There is philosophy in how rules are called and enforced. “There is a hold on every play.”

20+years of College and HS if it makes your case.

No one is an expert but I like to give insight into how officiating at this level works and trickles down to lower level college and HS.

Fuck off, tool. Enjoy your few remaining posts before you're permanently banned.

"I used to return punts at the D1 level." Too funny, thanks for that - I needed the laugh.
Permanently banned for what? asking question where no one can provide factual answers? Consequently really making my point for me. The best way to win an argument really, have others do it for you.

Which is BS because he is pointing his finger with BOTH hands. He also said that he was trying to regain his balance. When has anyone ever pointed just one finger on each hand trying to balance themselves while running in a straight line? He was intentionally using both arms and hands to most likely trying to confuse the defense.
Yeah, that BS unbelievable comment from Ferentz made me think this kid was absolutely coached to make that waving motion to give them an edge. I'm also wondering if the Gopher staff may have tipped off the officials to that motion before or during the game.

That kid was fully coached to make that waving gesture to make tacklers hesitate. There is no downside to them doing that and only upside in case the refs don't call it. Some people would say that's chickenshit coaching.
Well there was a downside yesterday…. 🤩

Top Bottom