invalid fair catch signal

he’s been coaching for how long and I don’t know what’s worse:
1. That he doesn’t know the rule.
2. That he knows the rule and is lying through the teeth.

One of those two is true.

Not necessarily. You don't know the explanation the refs on the field gave him. They could have said it wrong and the press conference is right after the game. He's talking like it was a fair catch, which it was not. It was an invalid fair catch signal which is a different thing entirely. Either way, we won

Not necessarily. You don't know the explanation the refs on the field gave him. They could have said it wrong and the press conference is right after the game. He's talking like it was a fair catch, which it was not. It was an invalid fair catch signal which is a different thing entirely. Either way, we won
I wouldn't be shocked if Ferentz was calculated in his asking the refs before the game about the rule.

By the way, that nifty spin move that DeJean did initially …. I think that was our .. Long Snapper that tried to tackle him and got .. shall we say “dismissed” :ROFLMAO:

It’s probably not good to have the LS be the only guy to even attempt a tackle. But anyway we know DeJean cheated, no worries

Remember that before this one call (which was correct), Iowa benefited from a whole bunch of judgment calls, including:

• A 30 yard Iowa pass play to set up a FG on the first drive where the ball touched the ground but was inconclusive was OK
  • A 35 yard Gopher pass play early in the 3rd was called back where the ball grazed the ground similarly but inconclusive was deemed not OK
  • A critical Iowa 3rd and long late in the 4th where the ball bounced so much you could see it momentarily change shape, but was OK and called a catch.
EXACTLY what I was going to say. Combine that with a pretty questionable PI call on Walley in the endzone and I'd say the refs correctly enforcing a pretty clear rule on the punt return was pretty low on the list of potential errors. I STILL have no idea how they allowed that catch in the 4th after overturning Minnesota's in the 3rd. It was seroiusly egregious.

The call was probably right. But I question why they don’t call this more often? 2 hours later unc returner did the same thing and it was called.
Did he make the motions and pick up the ball and try to return it, or did he make the motions and everyone got away and the other team downed the ball?

Correct call. Never gets called. In fact the same thing happened in another game yesterday. This is never called. Very subjective, and we are incredibly lucky.
I believe it got called in a Wisconsin game a few weeks ago and the same rule called in the Alabama game YESTERDAY.

It gets called… folks fielding the ball just don’t do the thing often, that’s probably a good thing.

Last edited:

He's the most self-serving Head Coach in College Football. Has been for years. He wins so he gets away with it. Even being able to channel millions to his inept son.

Maybe. But my point was more that they didn't blow the play dead immediately at the invalid fair catch. My question is more around when the refs would stop play for an invalid fair catch. In the Gophers vs Iowa case, they didn't stop the PR while trying to return it. Why? I'll dig around a bit more as this is interesting stuff.
I'll ask an officiating colleague of mine (who refs some D1 games). I think the rule of thumb is to err on the side of letting it play out, knowing you have video review as a backup, as opposed to blowing it dead and potentially stopping something that shouldn't have been stopped. That is my best guess.

EXACTLY what I was going to say. Combine that with a pretty questionable PI call on Walley in the endzone and I'd say the refs correctly enforcing a pretty clear rule on the punt return was pretty low on the list of potential errors. I STILL have no idea how they allowed that catch in the 4th after overturning Minnesota's in the 3rd. It was seroiusly egregious.

When Minnesota slaps a ball from an Iowa player's hand in a dead ball situation, it's Unsportsmanlike Conduct, automatic first down

When Iowa reaches across the line to slap the ball away from Minnesota's center in a dead ball situation, it's Encroachment, 5 yards and no first down.

Both should have been 5 yard delay of game fouls

When Minnesota slaps a ball from an Iowa player's hand in a dead ball situation, it's Unsportsmanlike Conduct, automatic first down

When Iowa reaches across the line to slap the ball away from Minnesota's center in a dead ball situation, it's Encroachment, 5 yards and no first down.

Both should have been 5 yard delay of game fouls
He was slapping at it for balance.

He's clearly lying. If him and his coaching staff do not know the invalid fair catch rule.....then they should be dismissed this morning. It's not like there are a ton of rules in football. It's not the tax code FFS. They knew what DeJean was doing and why he was doing it. Good chance that they told him to do it.

@Holy Man he definitely didn't raise his arm above his head, but he also definitely was signaling to his teammates to get away from the ball.

It's pathetic that he lied about that to media. He claimed in the post-game interview he was just trying to keep his balance, but that is such a silly little lie by a bitter little boy.

Dejean had an endearing story, small-time kid from sleepy Iowa town makes it big at Iowa, projected to be an NFL Player. Forever known as a bad liar from this day forward.

Pathetic, kid. Honesty is always, always the best policy. You got caught.

I've been investigating this a bit more and it does appear that CFB can let an invalid fair catch play out. Here's an invalid fair catch from the Ohio State vs Purdue game from last year.
“He never possessed the ball”, so that is why it played out.

Correct call. Never gets called. In fact the same thing happened in another game yesterday. This is never called. Very subjective, and we are incredibly lucky.
This is not factual. It’s not subjective. Did he wave his arms and the run with the ball? How often have you seen that exact play?

The back judge is looking for this. After waving his arms, had he blocked someone it would have been a 15 yd penalty for an illegal block.

These rules have been around for decades.

How often have you seen that exact play?
Twice after yesterday's game. Not called either time. How often have you seen it called in the last decade? How often have you seen it. Of course it's subjective. Happy with the win, but to say this wasn't an incredibly lucky and controversial call is ignorant. The numbers and facts bear this out. How often seen? Fairly regularly. How often called? rarely.

What's your point. Speaking of factually inaccurate. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Twice after yesterday's game. Not called either time. How often have you seen it called in the last decade? How often have you seen it. Of course it's subjective. Happy with the win, but to say this wasn't an incredibly lucky and controversial call is ignorant. The numbers and facts bear this out. How often seen? Fairly regularly. How often called? rarely.

What's your point. Speaking of factually inaccurate. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Maxy is a football ref.

While I agree with the call (it was correct), did anyone see the end of the UNC game last night? Virginia punted and the UNC returner was waving BOTH arms. There were a little lower, but it was a clear waving motion and get away from the ball type of thing. Then he picked it up and returned it 5 yards. No call was made and they got the ball where he returned it.

So that one had to be a blown call, right?

It's obvious it wasn't a fair catch signal as proven by the fact DeJean took off with the ball after the catch and the Gopher whiffing tackler tried for the stop. But that's not the point of the rule which was called correctly. You can't make a signal which could be interpreted as a fair catch plea. Still was impressive how well DeJean plays football. Wish we had him.
Call him crafty, call him sneaky, or call him a cheater for deliberately waving his arms ambiguously with the punt in the air. He does it all the time. Maybe it freezes and confuses the defense just enough for him to get an advantage. Maybe you get a 15 yard interference penalty. From his point of view there is little to lose; you can always cry later that “It’s just how I run”. Complete b.s., he knew exactly he was doing.

Still in the bag?

It's been a big problem this year. The studio rules analysts are complete morons and confuse everyone
Well after the targeting call was confirmed, they were still debating whether it was helmet to helmet. It was obvious it was. Doesn't matter that the guy's face mask hit Redding's shoulder first, the helmet continued and hit his helmet. It was text book targeting.

It's not controversial at all though. The rule is clear and the video evidence isn't even close to subjective. He's flailing his left arm all over the place.

The correct call incredibly lucky and controversial? Ok dude

That kid was fully coached to make that waving gesture to make tacklers hesitate. There is no downside to them doing that and only upside in case the refs don't call it. Some people would say that's chickenshit coaching.

Top Bottom