invalid fair catch signal

Both are true
1. It was correct application of rule
2. Crappy rule

I'll take it
Nope. It’s because:

1. For years Teams used to cheat on it all the time. I saw multiple big play punt returns using the ploy.
2. They tried a penalty for “invalid fair catch” with penalty yards and teams still cheated. It was worth it.
3. The only solution was no matter how you wave your hand it’s basically a fair catch now. Invalid fair catch is zero yards and the ball is returned to the point of the catch.

Last edited:

Everyone here would be crying had that call happened to MN.

I‘d argue the officials mostly get a free pass. They are so consistent with calls the leagues don’t have to enact rules to fine coaches or players for pointing out any problems.

The rule is that no player on team B can wave their arms in any way. 100% right call. Waving your arms for your teammates to get away is also illegal if you then grab the ball and run. If it’s above the shoulder it’s a legal fair catch. There is no controversy.

You can't call it a crappy rule when it was bring enforced on a textbook application of why the rule exists.
My 2nd point wasn't clear. But I agree with your statement

Nope. It’s because:

1. For years Teams used to cheat on it all the time. I saw multiple big play punt returns using the ploy.
2. They tried a penalty for “invalid fair catch” with penalty yards and teams still cheated. It was worth it.
3. The only solution was no matter how you wave your hand it’s basically a fair catch now. Invalid fair catch is zero yards and the ball is returned to the point of the catch.
Yes. I'm few duck ducks in. My 2nd point wasn't properly articulate. I

Both are true
1. It was correct application of rule
2. Crappy rule

I'll take it
But it's not a crappy rule. You make a half-assed motion like that. So the coverage team has a choice of hitting you and possibly getting a penalty; or they can let up and you catch them flat-footed which is what I think happened today. I would like to know who decided to review it.

Top Bottom