Interesting recruiting developement

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
Still not sure what to believe since this would go against what Tubby has campaigned against in the past, but last week I got a message from a GH poster who knows his stuff asking about a possible offer to an instate 8th grader. Did some asking around and while one staff member didn't think so, it didn't sound like it was out of the question this season. The kid is real good and plays for Apple Valley, Tyus Jones, the little brother of former DelaSalle and Hopkins's Jadee Jones. Jadee went on to Furman before coming home to Mankato. I saw them play at the Hopkins fall league a couple months ago and interesting that his coach for A.V. was former Hawkeye Duez Henderson. (there's more to that story but probably shouldn't post it). Would be a pretty bold move for Tubby since he was pretty hard on Gillispie at UK but it also could be viewed as a sign that he plans on being here awhile since Jones wouldn't be here for 6 years. They also really like Eastviews Joey King, who is a soph. but no offer coming yet. despite his big scoring game, Mn coach watching Hopkins was not wowed by Joe Coleman and is still skeptical that Riley Dearing will ever live up to the hype others have put on him. Still evaluating Syani Chambers but early indications are they like him alot, just want to see him play alot more.

yes. there was an article on him not too long back. hes already like 6'4.

Will Tyus Jones transfer to Hopkins?
Who knows...his brother (Jadee) did and had quite a good career there after transferring from De LaSalle; I believe he was a AAAA First Team All-State and Mr. Basketball finalist, and ended up with a scholarship to Furman.

Seems like Tyus has his sights set even higher...

After speaking strongly about the recruiting of 8th graders and the like I would expect Tubby to take the high road on this one.

Are we recruiting any power forwards yet? That might be an indication of whether they think we'll need help there next season. So far it's just Eliason & Hollins, right? Haven't really heard any other names other than Joseph, and I think he's kind of a pipedream like Barnes was.

Saw the Jones kid play this year. He is legit. Very composed for an 8th grader. Tubby was at his first game of the year. The Chambers kid from Hopkins is good as well, struggles a little from the perimeter but very good with the ball and is very quick. A little undersized at this point but get a little bigger.

I'm no basketball coach, but how can you possibly have any idea how good an eighth grader is going to be by the time he gets to college??

I'm sure they realize they don't know how good hes going to be, but would you rather have Tubby sitting at home watching TV or out watching local kids play basketball? He must be pretty good if he is starting in 8th grade and with an older brother who was also pretty good he might turn out to be really something special. (Cory Joseph?) I rather have Tubby out there making good first impressions. Maybe having someone like Tubby showing up to your 8th grade games could make you focus on basketball in HS and being the best player you can be.

Jones is legit. I've watched the young man play since he was a first grader. He has always been playing up at least one grade level, sometimes two at the traveling A level. My son is one year older and Tyus played in his age group or another age group up.... he was a 5th grader playing on the 7th grade traveling A team.

Who know what will develop over the next few years, but this is definitely one kid to keep an eye on. There is also one last Jones brother playing... I would watch him shoot three's with his mini basketball during halftime of Tyus' games when he was only a 1st-2nd grader.

I would not like to see anyone offer him at that age, but certainly do like to see Tubby checking out the local talent.

Go Gophers!!

Tyus Jones

I remember Kam Taylor receiving this same kind of hype, as well as Jake Sullivan and each had very good high school and college careers. The fact that he's starting in the toughest conference in the state should say something about his talent. The Gophers don't have anything to lose by offering him now. If he doesn't progress then drop the scholly. If he does, then you've hit the jackpot. I think the kid will be one of the nation's best by the time he's a senior.

I agree with mnhoops based on the fact the kid is already holding his own as an 8th grader. I was one who was unsure about Sullivan's ability to make a difference on the d-1 levl, but I watched him as an 8th grader...probably the best player at Tartan as an 8th grader.

Top Bottom