Inside the Gophers Strength & Conditioning Program: A Q&A with Eric Klein

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Inside the Gophers Strength & Conditioning Program: A Q&A with Eric Klein
By Nadine Babu

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/132926?referrer_id=331171

During his first press conference after being named the Golden Gophers head coach, Jerry Kill immediately talked about the importance of a robust strength and conditioning program. He touted the virtues of the program and the importance Coach Eric Klein, who has been a critical part of the Kill’s coaching staffs throughout his career.

A graduate of Apple Valley High School, Klein took over the Gophers football strength program after serving as the Director of Sports Performance at Northern Illinois. Klein’s impact on the Gophers program could be seen as last season progressed as many players commented on how fresh they felt in late games.

With the “strength and conditioning” portion of the season in full-swing, GopherHole caught up with Klein to learn more about his philosophy, background and role as a critical part of Coach Kill’s staff.

GH: How much further along is the team this year compared to last year when you started working with them?

EK: We’re obviously a year better. From that standpoint it’s more of execution and expectations, they know where they’re suppose to be at. You give yourself some adjustment period because it’s a new semester, it’s a new off-season. Instead of that taking 2-3 weeks, we probably got that done in a half a week’s amount of time. Now we’re operating full force.

GH: How have you had to change the mind-set over the past year compared to the mind-set that the guys had about strength and conditioning before you got here?

EK: I really haven’t had to change my mindset, it’s more adapting the program that I’ve used to more of a Big 10 style of football; having a bigger lineman, that type of thing. In the past, we were more truly oriented on speed, and size wasn’t that big of a deal.

GH: Do certain leaders emerge in the S&C program each offseason?

EK: Yes, each year you’ll find different guys that lead differently. Right now, we’re working with guys, and we’re trying to help them develop that leadership. We’re trying to teach them what it is to be a leader. Me, personally, I’m working with about 8 guys that the team actually picked, and working on their leadership skills, and what it takes to be a leader.

GH: Can you tell me who they are?

EK: I think it’s probably the same guys that anyone would expect, MarQueis is in that group, and Mike Rallis in that group.

GH: Basically, the team leaders.

EK: Yeah, the guys that you immediately would think are in that group. From my standpoint, besides getting them stronger, I want them to help them learn what it is to lead their teammates.

GH: What does a typical off-season S&C program consist of? How many days a week do you lift? Sprint work? Etc.

EK: Right now, we run 4 days a week, that running is a conglomeration – there’s speed work, agility work, some general conditioning in there. Teaching the guys how to bend properly, change a direction, we do that 4 days a week. We lift 3-4 days a week depending on the position and the player, they’ll lift 3 days a week which is a total body lift, so they do Olympic movements, clean snatches, jerks, squats, bench presses. Some of our freshman work out 4 days a week, where it’s more of a split, upper body, lower body, still learning the Olympic lifts and things like that. We give the plenty of options of when they can come in and get their workout in.

GH: Do you work on different aspects prior to spring ball than you do over the summer leading up to the fall?

EK: Right now, we want to lay the foundation for what we want to develop in the summer time. I try to develop our program so that a player gets better from January to August, and then from freshman year to sophomore year, so each section builds on what the previous segment was working on. Right now, we’re really laying the foundation for summer time, and then the summer time will prepare us for the season and then after they finish this year, it build onto the next year.

GH: What are the big challenges for in-coming freshman when they come in to your S&C program?

EK: The biggest challenge is getting to learn every one of those guys, and what their needs are. A lot of times in the summer time, when those freshman are able to come on campus, a lot of it is just learning each other. It’s no different than what they’re going to be doing during 2-a-days. I get the advantage of getting them for 8 weeks in the summer time, the coaches get about 15, 20 practices before we’re in the game. Hopefully they catch on, where I get 8 weeks so I get to learn what those guys need, their strength issues, or deficits, their speed and conditioning deficits during that entire time.

GH: Since you get so much more time with them, how do you report back to the coaches, and how do you compile all of that?

EK: Right now, with them on the road, I really have very little contact with the coaches. The beauty of my relationship with Coach Kill is he trusts me completely, so if I have any issues, I can take it to him – although I haven’t had any, it’s pretty much all my show right now.

GH: Tell us about the off-season teams that you and the staff put together? What do these teams consist of? How many per team?

EK: We broke the team up into 8 individual teams, each team has 11 or 12 guys per team. So we broke them up that way. Their team leader is responsible for their entire team.

GH: How competitive are the guys in the S&C program?

EK: Very competitive. Everybody likes to win, everybody likes to be #1, we put an emphasis on that, and it really shines right now.

GH: For the Gophers that just signed but aren’t on campus yet, do you give them an off-season program to follow?

EK: I will give them an introductory program that will help them develop themselves so that they’re ready come summer time.

GH: What does that plan consist of? Exercise and diet?

EK: It’s all exercise, by trade, I’m not a dietician, so I don’t put much information in there. It’s all exercise, basic lifting techniques, things like that so they have a foundation.

GH: What are the biggest surprises that the average Gopher football fan wouldn’t know about the S&C program?

EK: Probably the amount of time that they players actually spend in preparation right now. By NCAA rules, we’re only allowed 8 hours with them, and that’s what we stick to. But a player that wants to do the best he can, is spending a lot more time than that, because of the things they can do on their own, with catching a ball, or working on position techniques, stretching, anything like that.

GH: Did the incidents at Iowa last winter cause you to re-evaluate how you do your job?

EK: No, not necessarily because that was one incident, and I don’t train guys in a fashion that I would have to worry about. I shouldn’t have to worry about something like that.

Husker, we sure hope you love this article - you've been asking for this Q&A for at least 10 years!!

Can someone please provide a back story on the "incidents at Iowa last winter"? Thx

jgkfan Coach Klein must be doing his job #gophers RT @Dcrawfordtufts: First time throwin up during a workout. #gogophers
2 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

A tweet from DC-T this morning.

I do love it, the only thing I would have pressed Klein on are the leaders. How can a player like Hageman or John Christensen who have both been touted as leading in the lifting not be on the list. If i am leader give those two on my team. There must be leaders and record holders in the clean, squat, jerk, and bench who are they?

That being said, a great job Gopherlady! You have gone where others have feared to tread. This glimpse of the hours a scholarship player must committ to is critical to an understanding of what it takes to compete, and win. Thank you!

I do love it, the only thing I would have pressed Klein on are the leaders. How can a player like Hageman or John Christensen who have both been touted as leading in the lifting not be on the list. If i am leader give those two on my team. There must be leaders and record holders in the clean, squat, jerk, and bench who are they?

That being said, a great job Gopherlady! You have gone where others have feared to tread. This glimpse of the hours a scholarship player must committ to is critical to an understanding of what it takes to compete, and win. Thank you!

Sorry to disagree Husker. I'll be honest, that's the coaching staff's business, and knowledge of who the "leaders" are doesn't need to be blog-fodder.

That said, I'd say you can look at the "uniform unveiling" poster and see who the 8 leaders are, as well as your 4 captains.

Great article, I remember reading somewhere that they were looking to add a trainer to Klein's staff. I'd be interested in finding out how that turned out and how our S & C staff compares to others in the Big Ten, particulary in regards to the number on staff.

Great article and thanks for the info. Playing soccer at a local D3 college required very little committment outside of the season. Goes to show how much dedication it takes to succeed at this level.

Great article, I remember reading somewhere that they were looking to add a trainer to Klein's staff. I'd be interested in finding out how that turned out and how our S & C staff compares to others in the Big Ten, particulary in regards to the number on staff.
They did. There are now 3 S&C coaches, but I'm not sure if the new guy they hired is FB only or not. I don't know about how that matches up with all the other B1G schools, but I recall reading that OSU has 5 just for FB.

Sorry to disagree Husker. I'll be honest, that's the coaching staff's business, and knowledge of who the "leaders" are doesn't need to be blog-fodder.

That said, I'd say you can look at the "uniform unveiling" poster and see who the 8 leaders are, as well as your 4 captains.

You are missing the point. It could be the 4 captains who lead the sessions. I dont care about that. Adam Weber was a leader and didn't hit the weight room till his senior year. The records in weight room should be a matter of pride, of a standard, a goal. I am not advocating the blogosphere rather gophersports.com. They should have a page like this.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=28377

If you have ever been in the weight room at Nebraska or get a chance, if you are a record setter you have a roped off area reserved for you. Thats what I am talking about. I guess I should have said the follow up should have been about record setters.

Excellent interview, GL. Thanks for sharing. The entire interview shows me another example of the long range plan that Coach Kill and his Staff have. It is long and tedius process, requiring maturity, patience, and goals. This video is exemplary, to me anyway, of the patience that Coach Kill instills with his plan for our Gophers. I hope fans will learn that patience, and get rid of the "immediate satisfaction" mentality that is so prevalent in today's society:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1wtgLAytA

I'd like to know how much they have improved their speed in one year

You are missing the point. It could be the 4 captains who lead the sessions. I dont care about that. Adam Weber was a leader and didn't hit the weight room till his senior year. The records in weight room should be a matter of pride, of a standard, a goal. I am not advocating the blogosphere rather gophersports.com. They should have a page like this.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=28377

If you have ever been in the weight room at Nebraska or get a chance, if you are a record setter you have a roped off area reserved for you. Thats what I am talking about. I guess I should have said the follow up should have been about record setters.

OK, we stand divided. These things shouldn't matter to anyone at all but the players and coaches. Simple. Our knowledge or lack of knowledge of who these leaders are matters not. Don't feel there's a need to "press" Klein for such information. It seems to be trying to get into a circle that we are not invited to, and won't be, as fans. Just my opinion.

FYI, I will never see the weight room, even if I get a chance. It's at Nebraska. Same as if it was at OSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan...etc.

Did anyone see that Penn St has switched to an Olympic lifting program? I like that Klein's program is dedicated to core strength, speed, endurance and flexibility. I hate seeing when S&C programs get too caught up in bulking the guys up. Still Klein does mention that they had to adjust the program to suit the bigger linemen in the B1G. This year we'll see a bigger, faster, stronger team, which I think will help us win most if not all of our match up games. Look out Danny Hope!

Strength HOF

OK, we stand divided. These things shouldn't matter to anyone at all but the players and coaches. Simple. Our knowledge or lack of knowledge of who these leaders are matters not. Don't feel there's a need to "press" Klein for such information. It seems to be trying to get into a circle that we are not invited to, and won't be, as fans. Just my opinion.

FYI, I will never see the weight room, even if I get a chance. It's at Nebraska. Same as if it was at OSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan...etc.

I respectfully disagree with the bold above. As a fan of the football team it actually seems odd to me that another fan that takes the time to visit a forum dedicated to the team wouldn't be inherently interested in hearing about player development. I personally love hearing "insider" information. Saying that it shouldn't matter to anyone seems slightly preachy. However, I do agree with your position that it shouldn't come as a burden to Kill, Klein, or whoever related to the program. We, unfortunately, are not among those privileged enough to be extremely close to the football program, and that boundary should be something respected.

On that note, I think a webpage dedicated to the accomplishments of the University's athletes would have a beneficial "trickle-down" effect on, not only the football team, but all varsity sport teams. I could also see it helping recruiting as it's almost like a shrine dedicated to the super-human feats of former players; what young kid walking though wouldn't feel impressed/intimidated by their greatness? Anyways, perhaps a lame post, but having a strength hall of fame seems like a pretty sweet idea to me. It certainly wouldn't bore anyone...

Highway, you're right on. Sure, it's interesting to hear who the "leaders" are, but the staff is in no way obligated to share specifics publicly.

Practically every college program in the country has a leaders/record holders board in the weight room. However, there are reasons it's in the weight room and not on the front page of the school newspaper or on gophersports.com.

We're not in the program, people - we're fans, and thus there are some limitations to our access to the team. Deal with it.

"@chadpearson42: Congrats to #TeamAccountability for winning the Winter Rose Bowl trophy under captain (and twitterless) Ed Olson Jr."

Go Gophers!!

Is it Beal?

Look at the picture of two people standing with the guy on the left wearing a Commitment T-shirt and the guy on the right wearing a Toughness T-shirt and tattoo on his left arm. The guy on right looks like Beal to me. Does anybody know who this is? If it is him I am surprised that he is participating in this event. It could be good news though.

Look at the picture of two people standing with the guy on the left wearing a Commitment T-shirt and the guy on the right wearing a Toughness T-shirt and tattoo on his left arm. The guy on right looks like Beal to me. Does anybody know who this is? If it is him I am surprised that he is participating in this event. It could be good news though.

The picture you are referring to portrays Dexter Foreman on the left, and Brandon Beal on the right.

Thanks Dpodoll

The picture you are referring to portrays Dexter Foreman on the left, and Brandon Beal on the right.

Coach Kill has been very cautious about saying much about Beal's injury situation. About the only clear statement he has made is that he won't be participating in spring practice. With this picture showing Beal participating in the recent team competitions I now have for the first time a glimmer of hope that he could play this fall. We all know that Beal's injury is a very serious one, especially since it is on the same knee that he injured before.

Heard about this training program they are in. Team unity - Good stuff!

Doesn't work for me. I'm new to audioboo - do i have to create an id and sign in to make it work?

Top Bottom