Indiana State Game(9/10) Changed to 11am Kickoff

Wouldn't it be ironic if the game is changed to 11 am because of a Hillary rally that would likely be
attended by Governor Mumbles, errr Dayton, who tried to change the law to prevent Gopher game starts at.....

.....11am?

There is going to be an event to celebrate the UND NCAA men's hockey championship.

Living out of market, I always prefer 11am starts - makes it certain that I won't miss kickoff because some other game goes long (can set the DVR without stress and whatnot). Even when I lived in Mpls, I liked getting up at 5am, getting breakfast at Al's and getting drunk by 7 - beautiful way to start the day!

Wouldn't it be ironic if the game is changed to 11 am because of a Hillary rally that would likely be
attended by Governor Mumbles, errr Dayton, who tried to change the law to prevent Gopher game starts at.....

.....11am?

Flip that around and require the games to start at 11 and they've got my vote forever.

.....11am?

Highly unlikely unless POTUS is coming. As noted earlier, everything gets rerouted or closed off to clear the route. Had it happen couple times to me...worst was in FLA on vacation during the first Bush's re-election campaign in 1992. Basically shut down the freeway both ways from Tampa to Orlando for a good 6 hours, all for a 20 minute appearance at a small town festival. Freeway looked like a parking lot for a good 10 miles.

Gametime will be 9 a.m. for me here in AZ. Tailgate will consist of eggs, bacon, toast, hashbrowns, followed by watching the game on ESPNews via DISH.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Over easy? Sounds like a pretty good life down there, Doc.

Highly unlikely unless POTUS is coming. As noted earlier, everything gets rerouted or closed off to clear the route. Had it happen couple times to me...worst was in FLA on vacation during the first Bush's re-election campaign in 1992. Basically shut down the freeway both ways from Tampa to Orlando for a good 6 hours, all for a 20 minute appearance at a small town festival. Freeway looked like a parking lot for a good 10 miles.

If POTUS was coming i'd doubt they'd have it anytime Saturday at all, probably wait for Sunday when there weren't any large crowds expected to be on campus at anytime during the day, but a campaign rally...they might. I just went off some of the other posters assumptions about a rally and thought about this.. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/minnesota-governor-wants-to-outlaw-11-a-m-college-football-kickoffs

If POTUS was coming i'd doubt they'd have it anytime Saturday at all, probably wait for Sunday when there weren't any large crowds expected to be on campus at anytime during the day, but a campaign rally...they might. I just went off some of the other posters assumptions about a rally and thought about this.. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/minnesota-governor-wants-to-outlaw-11-a-m-college-football-kickoffs

On 10/23/10, President Obama headlined a rally for Mark Dayton at the field house that began later in the day after a game between the Gophers and Penn State that had an 11:00 AM kickoff ended. As football fans made their way out after the game, people were lined up already to get in to the rally which drew about 7,000. Assuming Obama and/or Clinton are coming here, and they may not be, it's just a theory, it all depends on what obligations and needs they have in other states as opposed to local scheduling issues.

I personally hate 11:00 AM start times and much prefer 1:00-3:00 start times or prime time.

However, I'm not sure why everyone is so upset about this.

Realistically, the same 35,000 fans are going to attend most of this game whether it's at 11:00 AM or 3:00 PM. The student section will show up later but not leave as early. So revenue will likely be equal regardless.

If by doing this they can have some other revenue generating function and not have the issues we had in 2010 (I remember what a cluster that was after the game), I guess I'm fine with it. I do think it's a little odd the athletic department doesn't know what it is, but if it is a political event that would make some sense.

It could also be a concert that hasn't been announced yet, but you would think they'd at least know/say it's a yet to be announced concert.

I can't think of anything that would take place at TCF without more than a couple hours preparation after the game, so I can't believe it'd be a concert or event there.

I do question how they have hockey games and/or basketball games start not long after football games sometimes, but this event is different? What could it be that would draw enough people that would make it worse than that?

I personally hate 11:00 AM start times and much prefer 1:00-3:00 start times or prime time.

However, I'm not sure why everyone is so upset about this.

Realistically, the same 35,000 fans are going to attend most of this game whether it's at 11:00 AM or 3:00 PM. The student section will show up later but not leave as early. So revenue will likely be equal regardless.

If by doing this they can have some other revenue generating function and not have the issues we had in 2010 (I remember what a cluster that was after the game), I guess I'm fine with it. I do think it's a little odd the athletic department doesn't know what it is, but if it is a political event that would make some sense.

It could also be a concert that hasn't been announced yet, but you would think they'd at least know/say it's a yet to be announced concert.

I can't think of anything that would take place at TCF without more than a couple hours preparation after the game, so I can't believe it'd be a concert or event there.

I do question how they have hockey games and/or basketball games start not long after football games sometimes, but this event is different? What could it be that would draw enough people that would make it worse than that?

Men's hockey & basketball usually don't play the Saturday night of home games. Hence the Friday-Sunday series every so often.

It seems like a lot of scratching and clawing to avoid those 11:00 am starts at the hands of the TV gods. So, it becomes extra-frustrating to lose a precious 3:00 PM kickoff to an apparent self-inflicted wound.

I suspect there is going to be a marching band contest somewhere on campus that evening.

Men's hockey & basketball usually don't play the Saturday night of home games. Hence the Friday-Sunday series every so often.

Looking at the hockey sked, they play the same day as the last two football home games. Definitely a change in philosophy.

If football gets picked to play at 2:30 on either those, they'd have to move hockey. Hockey plays North Dakota same day as the Northwestern game...would be a lot of upset fans with a day change.

Would be nice if they were going to move it for a campus event to at least care enough to tell us what the campus event is. If athletics doesn't know, that is really bizarre. Would admin really say to athletics "we have an event scheduled, but it is a secret event, so move your game, but don't tell anyone why?"

Would be nice if they were going to move it for a campus event to at least care enough to tell us what the campus event is. If athletics doesn't know, that is really bizarre. Would admin really say to athletics "we have an event scheduled, but it is a secret event, so move your game, but don't tell anyone why?"

Thus it would make sense that it is a high profile political event.

Looking at the hockey sked, they play the same day as the last two football home games. Definitely a change in philosophy.

If football gets picked to play at 2:30 on either those, they'd have to move hockey. Hockey plays North Dakota same day as the Northwestern game...would be a lot of upset fans with a day change.

FYI - I looked it up and on October 13, 2012 we had home games vs. NW (football) and MI State (hockey). I didn't go back further to see if it had happened prior or compare vs. basketball. I knew it had happened at TCF because I remember contemplating doing the double header.

Since they hadn't scheduled it the last three years, I wonder why the philosophy change and I wonder what the population for the secret event is anticipated to be? Similar to hockey/basketball? Similar to women's hockey?

Maybe they decided with the smaller crowds hockey & basketball (and football) have been getting that they can handle both?

Maybe they decided with the smaller crowds hockey & basketball (and football) have been getting that they can handle both?

Doubt it. The North Dakota hockey game will be one of the best attended in the history of the arena.

They could just be more comfortable in game day operations to handle it. Handle 11 a.m. football of course. They'll likely move hockey if it's 2:30.

Gametime will be 9 a.m. for me here in AZ. Tailgate will consist of eggs, bacon, toast, hashbrowns, followed by watching the game on ESPNews via DISH.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Don't forget your mimosa's!

Top Bottom