Indiana State Game(9/10) Changed to 11am Kickoff

go4rube

By the Beard of Zeus!
Reaction score
I just received the following email:

We wanted to alert you to a change in our non-conference schedule this season. The game time for our September 10 home contest against Indiana State, originally scheduled for 3:00 p.m. CDT, has been changed to 11:00 a.m. to avoid a conflict with another major event on campus currently being planned for that evening.

Same here. What is the event/conflict, anybody know? I didn't appreciate the vaguely worded email.

Of course we have to lose a great 3 PM kick for an 11 AM.

If I were to guess - I would say some major Political Rally? It is election season - but would also be odd that scheduled so far out. Whatever the case, how do they move MONEY MAKER #1 for whatever conflict. You think Ohio State would move a game for a campus event...you move the event not game.

Here is the response I received from my sternly worded reply:

"At this time we are unsure of what the other event is and are working to find out what this other event is. Currently, we have just been instructed by the University to move the game time in order to make the commute process better for our fans and the other attending the University's event later that evening. Thank you for being understanding!"

It seems like a lot of scratching and clawing to avoid those 11:00 am starts at the hands of the TV gods. So, it becomes extra-frustrating to lose a precious 3:00 PM kickoff to an apparent self-inflicted wound.

Same here. What is the event/conflict, anybody know? I didn't appreciate the vaguely worded email.

A bit odd, this came up awfully quick, and a little bit on the sly. I'm hearing ticket office doesn't even know what the other event is. Athletics simply was told by the U higher-ups to move the game time to make the commute better for people going to either event.

Campaign stop by Hillary and Obama?

Black Lives Matter speaker? Would make sense with the tragic events here, in the Bayou, and Dallas.

This could have been a very good opportunity for Coyle to flex his muscles and say "hell no you aren't!"

But........who knows what happened.

For me it doesn't matter as I have a four drive earlier in the day or later.

I was looking forward to the late afternoon start since it's not looking like we will get many this season. However, my oldest son is going to be 5 by game day and making this his second ever Gopher Football game will be easier since he's in bed by 8:00 pm and he's usually pretty loopy by about 7:00. He had a blast last year, has asked to go again more than once, and recognized the stadium from the car on the way to July 4th fireworks the other day.

This could have been a very good opportunity for Coyle to flex his muscles and say "hell no you aren't!"

But........who knows what happened.

For me it doesn't matter as I have a four drive earlier in the day or later.

Could be his doing for all we know! (Probably not, but you never know)

Was going to make a smart comment about how we can catch the "someone vs someone" game now.

But there aren't many great games week 2?
Illinois vs North Carolina
Iowa vs Iowa state
Va Tech vs TN
Arkansas vs TCU

When those are the best 4 it is not a great week.
We should've schedule somebody decent that week, could have gotten game day.

It would not be a POTUS visit, since those are scheduled with not much lead time for security reasons, right?

But at the same time, if it were a big entertainment event, you would hope the athletic dept would know more details.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This might explain things: Got this e-mail in my in-box at work: sounds like it was a TV deal. And I don't get ESPNews on my cable package, either.

Start Times Adjusted for Two Football Games on Sept. 10

Rosemont, Ill. – The start times for two Big Ten football games to be carried by ESPNEWS on Saturday, Sept. 10, have been adjusted, the conference announced today.

The Indiana State at Minnesota game has been moved up to begin at 12 p.m. ET/11 a.m. CT, while the Ball State at Indiana contest will take place at 4 p.m. ET/3 p.m. CT.

###

I really can't think of any "event" that could even come close to justifying such a horrible decision. A visit by the president, or either candidate would certainly not justify it. They would draw a smallish crowd of a few thousand.

I suspect this is just another case of dozens of unqualified people at the U that don't know what the hell they're doing.

It's not that the answer should have been "no" to moving the game time. It's that it is deeply disturbing anyone with any sort of power was clueless enough to ask the question. The U just needs better, smarter people making decisions.

I really can't think of any "event" that could even come close to justifying such a horrible decision. A visit by the president, or either candidate would certainly not justify it. They would draw a smallish crowd of a few thousand.

I suspect this is just another case of dozens of unqualified people at the U that don't know what the hell they're doing.

It's not that the answer should have been "no" to moving the game time. It's that it is deeply disturbing anyone with any sort of power was clueless enough to ask the question. The U just needs better, smarter people making decisions.

Outrage level over 9000 now... jebus

I am guessing TV and besides I prefer 11AM start times to mid afternoon.

The move wasn't due to TV. The U of M specifically said it was to avoid conflict with another event on campus that evening. However, that event hasn't been revealed to anyone.

Regarding Coyle and the AD saying "no" to the time switch, they may not have had any choice and logistically it may even be to the benefit of football fans to have the game over by mid afternoon and everybody mostly cleared out of the area.

The move wasn't due to TV. The U of M specifically said it was to avoid conflict with another event on campus that evening. However, that event hasn't been revealed to anyone.

Regarding Coyle and the AD saying "no" to the time switch, they may not have had any choice and logistically it may even be to the benefit of football fans to have the game over by mid afternoon and everybody mostly cleared out of the area.

Also maybe they were happy to accommodate someone else at the university?

We're talking about a fairly unimportant game two months out.

To add to the above, in 1996, eight days before the general election, a DFL rally at Target Center that featured President Clinton ended simultaneously when regular evening rush hour was at its peak and fans were entering downtown for Bears-Vikings on Monday Night Football. Apart from all that traffic, lanes were closed for the presidential motorcade and it was raining. The traffic jam was the worst I've ever experienced and I'll admit to driving in the bus/cab only lanes for a bit to park and get to the game. Long story short, sometimes spacing out big events in small geographic areas is for the best.

What are you even talking about? Turn down the drama.

Coming down from Ely is better for us at 11:00 am. 3:00 game makes it awkward to book a dinner at one of the many fine restaurants in the area.

Can't believe we got moved because of Ball State/Indiana. Has to be, just has to be some other reason. Otherwise, I am very disappointed with our new AD.

Gametime will be 9 a.m. for me here in AZ. Tailgate will consist of eggs, bacon, toast, hashbrowns, followed by watching the game on ESPNews via DISH.

GO GOPHERS!!!

I like 11am games better.......

Same. The 3pm kickoffs are the absolute worst, so huge improvement from my perspective.

I am guessing TV and besides I prefer 11AM start times to mid afternoon.

Coming down from Ely is better for us at 11:00 am. 3:00 game makes it awkward to book a dinner at one of the many fine restaurants in the area.

Gametime will be 9 a.m. for me here in AZ. Tailgate will consist of eggs, bacon, toast, hashbrowns, followed by watching the game on ESPNews via DISH.

GO GOPHERS!!!

11am Games is what CFB is all about. Nothing better. I love the positive attitudes and couldn't agree more. 11am kick offs R.O.C.K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO GOPHERS!!!

I'm disappointed in you Doc. I would have thought the tailgating would begin at about midnight.

Can't believe we got moved because of Ball State/Indiana. Has to be, just has to be some other reason. Otherwise, I am very disappointed with our new AD.

The game got moved due to another on campus event at the U of M. The school has no reason to lie about that. There's no upside at all to doing that. Ball State-Indiana had to be swapped with us strictly to clear and fill TV windows.

It'll be interesting to see what the event is. My honest guess is a political rally of some sort at the Fieldhouse or Mariucci Arena with one of the presidential candidates, likely Clinton with all the state DFL office holders and major candidates along with possibly President Obama. Time will tell on that front but there aren't many events on campus that could possibly warrant changing the kickoff time.

Top Bottom