In defense of Weber

Rog

Reaction score
In my humble opinion Weber's problem started when we changed OC's. Last year Weber was very good with higher expectations this year.

Our present OC from the NFL with no experience thought he could b ring in a NFL system with X's and O's, nothing else. Utter confusion on the field and on the sidelines.

In addition he decided to change Weber's method of passing.

Can you blame Weber, when receivers are confused, the line is confused and even the OC himself is confused (multiple time outs to stop the confusion)

Now it is Brewster's job to straighten it out.. Can he? Time will tell.

Too many poorly thrown balls this year for me to construct excuses for the Weber

Those are no excuses. And Weber being terrible was masked by Decker being great, He threw up any ball and Decker would get it no matter how poorly thrown it was. Decker was a crutch for Weber and when Decker went on crutches the true Weber was shown.

One wonders if Weber were not "local" the benching cries might have been a little louder

If Weber were not "local", I believe he would have been benched weeks ago. It is political.

give weber the lines and running games of iowa and wisconsin and he would look like stanzi or tolzein, maybe even better.

they can also complete easy high school level throws that Weber can not

I feel bad for Weber. What a tough season for him and several other offensive players. He's a good athlete and good kid, let's hope he gets it all together next year. I don't care if he's from Minnesota or the moon, by the way...

A good quarterback makes the team better. A good team makes a quarterback better. In the gophers case each made the other worse.

How many passes did Stoudamire drop in that game. They have to have somebody they could have put in.

No excuses for Weber. He needs to sit. He cannot see the field. He saw Decker. Without him he is as lost as Culpepper without Moss. Maybe worse. If Brewster sticks with Weber, he deserves to lose his job.

You hear every once in a while about NFL owners or GMs demanding that a coach play a certain player. Like in Tennessee when Bud Adams told Fisher to start Vince Young. I wonder if Maturi would ever make a demand like that. Not suggesting he should or will, but just curious as to how that would play out given the relationship between Brewster and Maturi.

Excuses or analysis

Too many poorly thrown balls this year for me to construct excuses for the Weber

If nothing changed we would not expect the result to change either. However this years Weber faced a significant number of changes. One to the very fundemental aspect of throwing motion. That while probably meant to improve throwing success clearly did not. Also he seemed far to stuck in throw first, that he seemed to forget how to get 4 yards plus instead of taking the sack.

Can't watch Weber anymore

I can't stand to watch him anymore. Not sure if it is the OC play calling, which is horrible BTW, but, 14-40? we threw it 40 times so he had time.. can't hit open receivers!! Decker has bailed him out for 2 years.. Against SDSU we sit a 4 star recruit and SDSU has a red shirt FR from WINONA COTTER outplaying Weber?

A phenomenal WR can make a mediocre QB look good. Or a bad QB look at least mediocre. Case in point, Culpepper was an all-pro when he had Moss to throw to. Randy could catch anything in the same zipcode, he usually had 2 D-backs on him, and always the defense's best corner. When Moss left town, Culpepper was exposed as being a horrible passing QB. Today, the Lions sent in a rookie with one arm (not his throwing one) to win the game rather than having Daunte come in for the last play.

Another interesting comparison. Daunte's greatest strength was probably his wheels. When he blew out his knee, though, he lost his mobility, making him much less of a threat. Opposing teams had to detail a LB just to spy on #11. Weber also was much more dangerous when he was a threat to take off running. Now he isn't. And its because of nitwitted coaching, not injury.

A phenomenal WR can make a mediocre QB look good. Or a bad QB look at least mediocre. Case in point, Culpepper was an all-pro when he had Moss to throw to. Randy could catch anything in the same zipcode, he usually had 2 D-backs on him, and always the defense's best corner. When Moss left town, Culpepper was exposed as being a horrible passing QB. Today, the Lions sent in a rookie with one arm (not his throwing one) to win the game rather than having Daunte come in for the last play.

You don't have a clue about Dante. He still holds the NCAA season record for pass completion percentage at 73.6%. When the Vikings game him time to throw the football he was an extremely accurate passer. The problem was not Moss leaving. The problem was that the Vikings offensive line was horrible after Moss left. Dante was constantly running for his life until he got hurt.

GO VIKES GO - TO LOS ANGELES
CITIZENS OPPOSED TO STADIUM TAXES

Funny, I just made the same Culpepper-Moss comparison in another thread before I read your post. Very apt. I kept shaking my head yesterday, wondering why Brewster didn't bench Weber. Then I saw the INT Gray threw. Still, what other player on the team would be allowed to singlehandedly screw up three scoring drives and still stay in the game?

The change in throwing motion is overblown, Weber has bad feet

Watch his footwork as a QB, it is really inconsistent to almost atrocious at times. If he could work on one thing and work it out, it would be correcting his footwork. He fixes that he fixes a lot of his accuracy problems, he needs to speed up his follow through by getting to his step threw quicker and consistently following through, that and concentrate on getting his feet lined up correctly and squared to the target.

Cupito>Weber

Whenever I compare the Gophers career of these two quarterbacks, the only thing I can think of is an indictment of Brewster and his coaching. The development of Cupito and the regression of Weber offer striking contrasts. This more than anything makes me wonder if Brewster should be the coach. It takes a monumental effort to screw something up this badly.

You ever watch Weber trot onto the field? He doesn't run like a good athlete. He kind of minces. He's not fluid. His passing has never been that good. Just in the general area of the receiver. He's rarely a right in their outstretched arms kind of guy.

The only thing that changed this year was the OC. Same QB, same recievers. Same RB's. Improved line. Better line coach.

I'll say this much for Weber. Dude plays his heart out. I was looking at some of the stills from the Iowa game with him trying to fight his way through tackles, grimacing in pain, struggling to make plays. The kid wants to win so bad and he just isn't in the situation to do it and I don't think he has the talent to do it. It's sad to watch, and it makes it hard for me to bag on him too much.

You ever watch Weber trot onto the field? He doesn't run like a good athlete. He kind of minces. He's not fluid. His passing has never been that good. Just in the general area of the receiver. He's rarely a right in their outstretched arms kind of guy.

Have you even watched Gopher football the last six years. Can you compare Cupito's athleticism with Weber's. Cupito's arm with webers. Cupito's performance in his first year with Weber's. Don't tell me Weber is not a good athlete.

There are things he has not done that well but natural talent and ability is not one of those things.

Gee, I thought I was posting on the Gopher message board, not the Daunte C. fan club. Impressive that you his completion percentage out to 3 significant figures. I stand behind my original statement. In Daunte's marquee years (where he was damned effective; I'll give you that) you had the opponents best CB and a safety covering #81. Then at least one LB in the box shadowing Daunte in case he took off. If the Vikings send out 4 guys, that leaves at least one WR being covered by a guy who should have been playing in NFL Europe. Any QB can make that throw.

I'll grant you that over time Daunte has wound up playing on teams with progressively crappier OL's. And its hard to run for your life when you can't run any more. But opposing defensive coaches have learned the way to beat Culpepper is show blitz and then drop everybody into coverage. That's a pick 6 waiting to happen. The man simply cannot read defenses. That's why he's backing up rookies at this stage in his career.

In Daunte's marquee years (where he was damned effective; I'll give you that) you had the opponents best CB and a safety covering #81.

I've watched every Vikings game since I was about 8 years old, either live or later on tape, and I can't remember a single instance of either Chris Walsh or Nate Burleson drawing double coverage from the safety. And they certainly were never covered by the opposition's best CB.

Sometimes we all need to just call a spade a spade. For 3 years I've seen the following items repeated over and over:

1. His footwork is atrocious. He rarely plants his feet or strides into the throw WHEN HE HAS TIME.
2. His arm strength seems to be average, and cannot make up for #1. This resulted in a majority of his picks and pick-6's.
3. He double clutches causing timing issues. This results in mistimed passes and hanging receivers out to dry (i.e., Decker chin hit in Cal game).
4. His accuracy is horrible. Decker covered this up, but his high bounce-to-shin ratio has been evident all 3 seasons.
5. His vision of the field is sub-par. He didn't seem to know where his receivers should be (blitz reads) or would be (when plays broke down). He locks in on the first option and doesn't feel comfortable with check-downs.
6. His internal clock and pocket presence seemed to disintegrate as the year went on. The alarm clock either fired early/late or he started running into his OL instead of getting out of the pocket.

I see a lot of offseason work for him, to even prove to everyone that he can compete at this level.

The spread offense hid a lot of these flaws, and he was exposed this year big-time.

I'd love to see him succeed, and can only hope he puts in the time and effort to improve for next year. Some of it will be Fisch and his playcalling and QB development skills, but the onus is still on Weber to get better.

Sometimes we all need to just call a spade a spade. For 3 years I've seen the following items repeated over and over:

1. His footwork is atrocious. He rarely plants his feet or strides into the throw WHEN HE HAS TIME.
2. His arm strength seems to be average, and cannot make up for #1. This resulted in a majority of his picks and pick-6's.
3. He double clutches causing timing issues. This results in mistimed passes and hanging receivers out to dry (i.e., Decker chin hit in Cal game).
4. His accuracy is horrible. Decker covered this up, but his high bounce-to-shin ratio has been evident all 3 seasons.
5. His vision of the field is sub-par. He didn't seem to know where his receivers should be (blitz reads) or would be (when plays broke down). He locks in on the first option and doesn't feel comfortable with check-downs.
6. His internal clock and pocket presence seemed to disintegrate as the year went on. The alarm clock either fired early/late or he started running into his OL instead of getting out of the pocket.

All true.

Yeah hes an athletic guy, obviously not as athletic as gray because no one on the team is, you ever trotted onto a field ever? im guessing no, now try trotting onto a field where you know youre going to get smoked, your own fans hate you, your oline cant block, your rb's average 3 yards a carry, and you top 3 wide outs are hurt, and your offensive coordinator gets too cute with his plays, I'd also like to see you attempt to catch a pass of his and let me know how good of a passer he is, hes got a great arm, you are a complete idiot

I'd also like to see you attempt to catch a pass of his and let me know how good of a passer he is, hes got a great arm, you are a complete idiot

I didn't see anywhere in the post where he questioned his arm strength. If that's all there were to it, Kyle Boller and Tarvaris Jackson would be two of the best QBs in the NFL. If you got "weak arm" from his post, then you are the idiot, my friend.

Top Bottom