In all of these big boy games today, I've noticed

That teams pass a lot. It's the way to do it in college football.

The gophers must get out of the Stone Age with it. We already know this, but there are so many big passing plays in these games.
That's why Georgia can't break through

That's why the SEC, Big 12 and a lot of the G5 conferences are so much more entertaining than the B1G. It's just a more entertaining brand of football.

The gophers must get out of the Stone Age with it. We already know this, but there are so many big passing plays in these games.
Or maybe the way we compete is by doing something different that those teams can't defend?

The thing that stood out to me was electric WRs and really athletic DL. There is a true FR for OK ST that was incredible.

When it's all said and done after today (if Michigan wins), we will have 2 teams in the final four that are heavy run dominant (Michigan and Georgia).

How many defensive pass interference calls extended drives today? I saw many.

Agree this year but in 2019 the Gopher passing attack was quite good.
I was just gonna say this. We're two years removed from having a couple 1000 yard receivers drafted to the NFL. We're also a week away from watching Michigan run all over and dominate the spread heavy OSU . I get what the OP is saying -- it's tough to win at a high level when only the service academies throw less. But there's no perfect offensive system. The team with better athletes who makes fewer mistakes usually wins.

The offense developed some playmakers during the season. Going in we only were aware that CRaB and Mo could break big plays. But it was fun watching others emerge

That's why the SEC, Big 12 and a lot of the G5 conferences are so much more entertaining than the B1G. It's just a more entertaining brand of football.
I'm sure many fans like passing. That's why the rules encourage passing. I'm an old timer. I love to watch an unstoppable rushing game.

We were obviously too run heavy this year so more balance would help.
I think a 60/40 split would be good for us. Have to be able to adapt to what defenses are giving you too. I think we had that in 2019. Hopefully Kirk C can bring that back.

I want the 2019 Gophers back. Thank you.

Or maybe the way we compete is by doing something different that those teams can't defend?
You might be onto something here. Those teams can’t defend it (good teams that is). Unfortunately, teams like Bowling Green and Illinois can.

Not gonna win at a championship level with majority 3 star talent.

We have sent two big time BIG receivers to the NFL the last couple of years and thrived on some big plays down the field in 2019, really an entertaining style of play. I can't stand the short yardage situation where we bunch up and run it up the middle, boring! Spread it out on offense, the RB's can run in space just as easily as the RP option offense.

We have sent two big time BIG receivers to the NFL the last couple of years and thrived on some big plays down the field in 2019, really an entertaining style of play. I can't stand the short yardage situation where we bunch up and run it up the middle, boring! Spread it out on offense, the RB's can run in space just as easily as the RP option offense.

Yeah, let guys make plays in space. The calls this year were ridiculous on so many occasions.

Ciarrocca is like an oasis in the desert right now.

You might be onto something here. Those teams can’t defend it (good teams that is). Unfortunately, teams like Bowling Green and Illinois can.
I would take our heavy run game from the last 3 games of this year or most of 2019. Illinois and BG wouldn't have beaten that offense.

Minnesota and the upper midwest is great at one thing- Linemen. Lean on it.

Run to pass works, unless you think you're going to vault from Big 10 West Also Ran to Bama in 2 years. Start winning 10 with the grindy stuff that works, then implement the passing game more. Not just ignore it, not make it trash. But stick to what you're good at and gradually open the offense up when you have better receivers and an OC who isn't dogshit.

I empathize. We had the #2 dual threat QB in the country who started as a freshman, threw for nearly 3k yards with a nearly 9 to 1 TD to INT rate. And it's just been regression and easily predictable grindy ball since- And the dude can even run, too. HC's that like grindy games tend to accept bad OC's longer than others because it doesn't expose the defensive flaws you see against good teams (like when OSU was racing down the field despite Mo Ibrahim ascending to a higher form of RB prior to injury).

Yes, and they throw to their tight ends a lot, getting the dividends of height and strength.

I see a tremendous amount of speed and NFL athletes
In both the SEC and B1G Title games (on the Michigan side of the equation), I was in awe of the suddenness that the 4- and 5-star guys bring to the table. Raw talent alone doesn't win games. Guys still have to be coached up regardless of their athleticism, but talent matters. Ferentz is a great coach and he gets the most out of his players, but they simply were no match for Michigan's speed; especially Michigan's speed on defense.

The rules favor passing over running. Foolish to avoid passing unless you believe your personnel is subpar.

Top Bottom