Impressions from Scrimmage...

Reaction score
TCF is stadium is simply outstanding. Just a classy, top drawer venue for big time football. I sit in section 140 and the view out the end of horseshoe, the scoreboard, the great sight lines....it is something. The concourses seemed a little clogged up...don't know what that was all about, but when the stadium is full that could get a little ugly to move around. I thought the crowd was a little smaller than I had hoped and on their hands a bit. Sure wish we had a better turnout.

General quick impression of what I saw: Defense impressed me and offense did not. We have some speed, depth and strength on D, the most I have seen at the U in a long long time. They have the potential to be very good. Offense is another story. Weber made some very bad decisions for a veteran QB.....he did that last year, but this year I hoped he would really come into his own and eliminated some of that stuff. O-line is still a huge question mark based on their play today.

Some other thoughts....

Dan Orseske can flat punt the ball. If he can get it off quickly and get his leg into it the way he did today during the regular season...well, we have mini-Ray Guy on our hands. If he can combine consistency with that leg strength, he will really help the team with field position.

Michael Carter was very impressive for a young guy. He was embarrassed by Decker on the first play of the scrimmage, but after that his ball hawking skills were on display with two interceptions. He is also bigger than I had expected. Future star.

Matt Caraful and Jeff Wills looked good on the offensive line. The other linemen were less than impressive. As a unit, they did not look good. I sure hope this is an early season exception. The running game was not there much of the scrimmage and the pass protection was inconsistent to say the least. Weber does not generally do well when rushed hard. Wills crushed some people and he has very good feet for such a big hoss. Our season will hang on how the OL comes together.

Troy Stoudermire is a terrific athlete. When he takes that ball on a return, you just have the feeling he could go all the way at any time. What a weapon on special teams.

Adam Weber is a mystery. I like his setup and throwing motion better than last year. He made some nice throws and he made some terrible throws. He threw three interceptions. He missed wide open receivers and he seemed to "lock in" and stop his receiver progressions much more than an experienced QB should. He makes some bad decisions when under pressure. On the other hand, he looked stellar at times. He has more talented and experienced weapons at WR than he has ever had. Weber to Decker will give some teams fits this year, but the overall passing game must become much more dependable and consistent. Weber must fix his accuracy issues and bring the passing game together.

Duane Bennett looks very good. His recovery from his injury and subsequent surgery is amazing. Let's hope he stays healthy. He was by far the best looking RB out there.

Some of the uneven play of the offense might be attributed to a new system. If the offensive line comes together, we will be successful. Have you ever heard that before? I am hoping for the best. I love our overall talent level.

Hard to take anything substantive away from scrimmage

That scrimmage was about as far away from game like conditions and intensity as it could have been. At times you could tell that Weber was just kind of dinking around with his throws and such. I know this much if they try to force feed Eskeridge ahead of Bennet because he finished number 1 last year they are kidding themselves. Bennet is stronger, faster and he is simply a better back without question.

Weber has to learn to find other guys other than Decker, he is a hell of a weapon and no doubt one of the best, but if other teams key on shutting out Decker and locking him down with two, three guys then the Gophers will really start to struggle moving the ball. The offense has to be more than, that Weber to Decker for things to work well. Green, Stoudimire and Tow Arneet were all open at times but Weber was fixated on Decker and Weber just missed seeing them even.

You really thought the concourses were clogged up??? Did you go to any games at the Dome?

i think the key thing to remember is that being this was the first time in the facility for 98% of the people there there is bound to be a bit more perceived congestion in the concourses because by default a lot of people are: 1.) not sure exactly where they are going 2.) likely "taking a sunday drive" in how fast and with how much purpose they are moving around because they are in the mind-set of just wanting to take in all of the sites and sounds

i would expect that as people become more veteran in their navigation of the stadium, etc. that the concourses will not seem as "clogged" as some might have thought today.

Pretty Much Agree

TCF is stadium is simply outstanding. Just a classy, top drawer venue for big time football. I sit in section 140 and the view out the end of horseshoe, the scoreboard, the great sight lines....it is something. The concourses seemed a little clogged up...don't know what that was all about, but when the stadium is full that could get a little ugly to move around. I thought the crowd was a little smaller than I had hoped and on their hands a bit. Sure wish we had a better turnout.

General quick impression of what I saw: Defense impressed me and offense did not. We have some speed, depth and strength on D, the most I have seen at the U in a long long time. They have the potential to be very good. Offense is another story. Weber made some very bad decisions for a veteran QB.....he did that last year, but this year I hoped he would really come into his own and eliminated some of that stuff. O-line is still a huge question mark based on their play today.

Some other thoughts....

Dan Orseske can flat punt the ball. If he can get it off quickly and get his leg into it the way he did today during the regular season...well, we have mini-Ray Guy on our hands. If he can combine consistency with that leg strength, he will really help the team with field position.

Michael Carter was very impressive for a young guy. He was embarrassed by Decker on the first play of the scrimmage, but after that his ball hawking skills were on display with two interceptions. He is also bigger than I had expected. Future star.

Matt Caraful and Jeff Wills looked good on the offensive line. The other linemen were less than impressive. As a unit, they did not look good. I sure hope this is an early season exception. The running game was not there much of the scrimmage and the pass protection was inconsistent to say the least. Weber does not generally do well when rushed hard. Wills crushed some people and he has very good feet for such a big hoss. Our season will hang on how the OL comes together.

Troy Stoudermire is a terrific athlete. When he takes that ball on a return, you just have the feeling he could go all the way at any time. What a weapon on special teams.

Adam Weber is a mystery. I like his setup and throwing motion better than last year. He made some nice throws and he made some terrible throws. He threw three interceptions. He missed wide open receivers and he seemed to "lock in" and stop his receiver progressions much more than an experienced QB should. He makes some bad decisions when under pressure. On the other hand, he looked stellar at times. He has more talented and experienced weapons at WR than he has ever had. Weber to Decker will give some teams fits this year, but the overall passing game must become much more dependable and consistent. Weber must fix his accuracy issues and bring the passing game together.

Duane Bennett looks very good. His recovery from his injury and subsequent surgery is amazing. Let's hope he stays healthy. He was by far the best looking RB out there.

Some of the uneven play of the offense might be attributed to a new system. If the offensive line comes together, we will be successful. Have you ever heard that before? I am hoping for the best. I love our overall talent level.

Not much to disagree with here and lot to agree with. The offensive line is still up in the air. The two new guys, Carufel and Wills, are clearly our best OLs. That sure doesn't say much for our veterans. Will some freshmen play OL if things don't improve?

I think Weber is better than what he showed today. What I did not care for was his obvious lack of intensity and leadership of the team. His lack of concentration led to his very inconsistent play, in my opinion. Brewster and Fisch will not put up with that. I agree though that he has an accuracy issue....unless there is NO pass rush. Back to our need for a strong offensive line.

Stats don't mean much from a scrimmage, but... Weber 14-18, 167 yards against a good D in a scrimmage. Made a couple 'experimental' throws, had one deflected. Rallis is noticably more athletic at the lower weight. Bennett's knee looked fully recovered, averaged over 9 yards a carry. Stoudermire is a genuine stud. Hayo is no Paris, he will dazzle. The right side of the OL will be awesome. I expect the left to continue improving and be solid. The OL from last year is definitely an ugly incident of the past. 2d team D looked much better than the starting Ds we have had in the past, better than '03. MC is going to be hard to keep off the field. He has that wirey strength and has the big time swagger (the right attitude to play big time shut down DB) and confidence to go with his skills. He is an All American lock before he leaves. I sincerely hope the administration and fans realise what we have in Brewster so we can lock him down until the program is established and can roll in someone worthy of keeping the football program going. This was an intra-squad practice, not a pre-season game.

Top Bottom