I'M so F-ing sick of this!!!!!!!!!!! Where are we now ???

idk Ive calmed down now and looked at the big picture...just gotta move on no use in goin crazy like I was earlier lol

This is classic 'fan of a losing program' speak. If only our players had played better at several points in the game we would have maybe won!
So how is that different than "if only Brewster would put in an untested QB who I've not seen in practice"? (See this post.)

Football is a team sport and takes at least 22 players ... yet some focus exclusively on one position as being the pivotal point. Good lord. ... :rolleyes:

countdownclub.jpg

Too many people bought into some unrealistic expectations. When you play two toss up games the expected outcome is to win one and lose one. It happened. When we're a better team and are favored we'll have more favorable outcomes. Time to take a chill pill and enjoy the ride of an improving program.

The only people predicting a great record this year are heavy kool-aid drinkers (no problems if you are) and those wishing to set the gophs up for a big fall (think ruesse), the rest of the football world had us at ninth place in the B10 and sneaking into a bowl with a hard fought 6-6 or lucky 7-5. It's where the program is, it's where it has been, and where it will be despite whatever the actual record is that we achieve. Just suck it up, deal with reality, and try to enjoy the ride.

Maturi never seen Brew coach a game before hiring him either........

Maturi never seen Brew coach a game before hiring him either........
Ah, but Brewster et. al. have seen Gray throw in practices and still stay with Weber.

Do you really think Brewster (or Fisch) wouldn't start Gray if his practice efforts showed he could handle QBing the team? That's where the logic of your argument falls apart -- it's not likely that Brewster wouldn't "take the chance" if he thought it would pan out.

It's pretty hard to argue that Brewster "plays it safe" or is unwilling to try something unusual.

But this argument/discussion is getting like arguing how many angels dance on the head of a pin. I doubt I'll persuade you to change your position and have to acknowledge that I'm sticking with my perspective as well. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

countdownclub.jpg

How the Gs might have an outside shot at winning more than 2-3 at the current pace:

1. Eliminate stupid, repetitive penalties...this is first on the coaches, then on-field NW-type execution...they have shown they can do it in the past with sufficient team discipline; here's were Brew needs to p*sd off and sit those that don't seem to get the message...as he likes to tell us, he has some depth to work with;

2. Eliminate fumbles/flubs...this frequently comes down to ball-handling technique in traffic, much of that is coaching and of course player focus/strength; casual coaching leads to sloppy ball handling;

3. Wrap-up tackling rather than body-blocking when in position...especially by the secondary...this is on coaching and player man-up;

4. Follow the game plan in the RZn...this is on JF/Davis not allowing Weber wierd free-lancing; if he can't resist the urge to out-guess JF/D, get MG in there to execute some smash-mouth;

5. Brew needs to have more field generalship awareness and demand immediate on-field adjustments from Cos/Lee when the D starts breaking down and the opponent starts to dominate repeatedly like Clay did in the 2H;

6. JF needs to give Weber an intensive remedial course on throwing the ball away "legally" and avoid mo-killing sacks; this isn't brain surgery;

7. JF/D need to allow Weber to the run if he has some daylight and his receivers are blanketed...he's a tough guy and not fragile...but he does need some lessons in sliding...Kafka/NW is good at that;

8. Coach Weber to avoid interceptions by using some pump fakes and looking off his main target...after 25+ starts, he should know Deck's routes cold, if he doesn't somethings wrong somewhere that needs to be fixed by TB/JF pronto;

9. JF needs some roll-out pkgs for Weber to compensate for the repetitive collapse of the pocket...Weber is reasonably accurate on the run and it does buy him more time;

10. Brew needs to build ball-hawking/stripping into the game plan more aggressively like Roof did last year in order to change mo;

11. Continue the positives: strong/dynamic STs play, get Deck the ball if he's open, continued high-level LB performance, get the DL back on track.

Unless I'm being delusional, none of these items require super-star performances from a group of 5-star athletes the Gs don't have anyway.

However, they do require above-average coaching smarts and on-field player execution. The Gs have the talent, but do they have the will to execute reasonably mistake-free fb and give themselves a decent shot at winning more than 2-3 additional games?

Maybe other GHers can add to this "To do list".

Too many people bought into some unrealistic expectations. When you play two toss up games the expected outcome is to win one and lose one. It happened. When we're a better team and are favored we'll have more favorable outcomes. Time to take a chill pill and enjoy the ride of an improving program.

The only people predicting a great record this year are heavy kool-aid drinkers (no problems if you are) and those wishing to set the gophs up for a big fall (think ruesse), the rest of the football world had us at ninth place in the B10 and sneaking into a bowl with a hard fought 6-6 or lucky 7-5. It's where the program is, it's where it has been, and where it will be despite whatever the actual record is that we achieve. Just suck it up, deal with reality, and try to enjoy the ride.

We finally have a true home field advantage, or at least the best we can given the weak fan base (and let us all face it; it is all down hill from here, expect twice as many Iowans next year as there were Wisconsinites).

We faced a freshman quarterback on his first road game against a major rival, with a defense chock full of upperclassmen.

This ought to be the game that was circled on the schedule since the first shovel went into the mud on Oak and 4th [and if it wasn't: for shame].

This is a game that in the 3rd year we should expect of our coach!

If you don't think we should have won that game; if you don't expect to win that game, just kick your f#cking chili pot clean over! It ain't going to get hot! Show some f#cking pride.

'Deal with reality' of a 9th place finish? Are you kidding me? What kind of weak willed bull sh*t is that? Why should we accept a finish in the basement of the conference in the third year of a regime that was intended to get us past the 4th-5th-6th plateau of mediocrity we were in? Why are we still waiting for him to get his kids in? It is year three. He should have some kids starting to make waves if this thing is actually going to turn around.

When do we not have an 'improving program'? How many years more do we have to hear this crap before we are allowed to get mad!
Do you hear yourself man? Half the players who can play are either holdovers from the previous regime or graduating JUCOs so I suppose I will have to hear about rebuilding next year...

When do we give up on the Great Pumpkin?
The%20Great%20Pumpkin%20Patch.jpg

Gophers special teams have been pretty darn good this year. I decided at the spring game that Stoudemire was one of the best return men in the nation, and he hasn't disappointed. The problem is that he needs to take one all the way back to make it worthwhile. When you return it to the opponent's 45 and your offense sputters 3 and out every time, it doesn't do any good.

When do we not have an 'improving program'? How many years more do we have to hear this crap before we are allowed to get mad!
Do you hear yourself man? Half the players who can play are either holdovers from the previous regime or graduating JUCOs so I suppose I will have to hear about rebuilding next year...

Lose Decker and nine starters on defense. Next year will be worse.

Just wait til '11. Honest.

Sometimes this board makes me crazy! We lost. It sucked. The sky is not falling. Let it go, move on, get ready for Purdue.

Trying to start my week off on a good path. :D

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom