If you were Kill and if ou were offered Neb job, would you take it?

I've seen 3-4 national reporters tweet that Kill would be a great fit for Nebraska.

Given his health, the pressure to win in Nebraska, the loyalty and admiration our fans and admin have towards Kill, would you leave all that for a bit more money and better facilities?

No. he knows that while it is still a power house, the landscape of collage football has changed and parity is a reality. There are only a few schools that will remain perennial top 5 every year and I think that will change soon as well. There is a sweet spot to be in if your a coach and Minnesota has that potential to be just like Wisconsin and Michigan State or TCU..... 8 to 10 wins every year with a BIG championship sprinkled in. Nebraska is crazy and will regret firing their coach. Like Penn State, they thought they were going to dominate the BIG and there is only one team that will do that for the next couple of years and it is not them. In the long term, Kill is safe here and will make more money in the end. Lincoln is not that great.

Novak was 16-21 in last 3 seasons. 2-10 in final. Kill rebuilt it.

this is a rebuild..tell me what Coach kill accomplished at NIU Coach Novak didnt? the 2 win season was an anomoly.1997 Northern Illinois 0–11 0–8 6th (West)
1998 Northern Illinois 2–9 2–6 5th (West)
1999 Northern Illinois 5–6 5–3 T–2nd (West)
2000 Northern Illinois 6–5 4–3 T–3rd (West)
2001 Northern Illinois 6–5 4–3 T–2nd (West)
2002 Northern Illinois 8–4 7–1 T–1st (West)
2003 Northern Illinois 10–2 6–2 T–2nd (West)
2004 Northern Illinois 9–3 7–1 T–1st (West) W Silicon Valley
2005 Northern Illinois 7–5 6–2 T–1st (West)
2006 Northern Illinois 7–6 5–3 T–3rd (West) L Poinsettia
2007 Northern Illinois 2–10 1–6 6th (West)

I would not. If I win the conference at NU, the fanbase is mad that I didn't win the National title. If I win the conference at Minnesota, I get streets named after me and a statue. And I only have to do it once.

New facilities = End of speculation of Kill's leaving for any different program.

A Minnesota Big Ten job is a step up the ladder from that position just like Nebraska would be from Minnesota.

Don't be ridiculous. The difference between Minnesota and Northern Illinois is leagues greater than the difference between Minnesota and Nebraska. Christ, Limegrover and Claeys make more money here than Kill himself did at Northern Illinois.

Last I checked- Nebraska has won 9 games and the Gophers have 8.

Are you being this dense on purpose? By your logic, Illinois is a better job than Michigan.

I don't think he would because frankly the chances of being employed at a B1G school in 4 years is much lower there than here.

Besides which - NE fired a coach for going 10-4 or 9-4 EVERY season he was there. Think about that. Has Coach Kill done enough that the NE admin honestly think he will exceed 9-10 wins EVERY year with the same system we have here?

Novak was 16-21 in last 3 seasons. 2-10 in final. Kill rebuilt it.
Novak built it from the ground up, I don't think he won but two or three games his first three years at NIU and they stuck by him and the results were very good. Beat Alabama and Iowa State in the same year. The program was slipping his last couple of years, but it was well established and Novak did it the right way with good kids and very few JUCO's.

Hasnt Kill said this (Minny) is his final stop?

Kill has never gone in to a program that has already experienced sustained major success prior to him becoming head coach. Every new job he has taken would be considered rebuilding or program building projects even the state the Minnesota program was in, the teams APR was falling apart at the seams for 10 years, and Gophers were losing a lot of conference games badly. To me, Nebraska would not be an immediate program building project. Taking over Nebraska is like buying a nice Lexus or Mercedes, it is motivating existing elite talent to acheive at a higher level. So for me, it is hard to project where they would be in year one under a coach Kill regime but I bet they would win at a high level, and most assistants would leave with him. Your talking about resources that we cannot compete with currently. He Kill would have to assume walking in the door Nebraska has more talent and recruiting advantages from day one than Minnesota. These coaches are not dumb they see what they have in Wisconsin or Nebraska every weekend, sold out stadiums, here we have to beg people to be bothered to go to Gopher football games. If anything if Nebraska offers coach Kill we minus well kiss him goodbye because that is one of the Holy Grails of college football. Lincoln Nebraska is the promise land compared to Minneapolis for college football and media attention.
If Kill were offered by Nebraska he would be crazy not to take the job plain and simple. Double his salary, secure his family for life, secure his assistants salary's at the top of the conference.
Sold out stadium every weekend with rabid Husker fans, the best facillities and practice areas in the Big 10 west. Better recruiting and fan reputation, better everything besides stadium is already in place. He is from Kansas so you know he knows all about the Big 12 champions and the National champions Dr Tom Osbourne was pouring out.
Coach Kills staff get's a lot out of their student athletes so I would expect at a talent laden program he would compete at a championship level every year. You win with players people, and Nebraska get's better players and athletes getting off the bus or plane.

The AD at Nebraska would be a fool not to hire away coach Kill and Kill would be not wise to reject an offer if he were chosen. Pressure from fans and administration that stuff is all meaningless when you know your going to get the cream of the crop recruits year after year, you don't have to sell recruits on Nebraska, they are a helmet school and sell themselves.
Would I be disapointed yes, but I would understand, if coach Kill and the majority of his staff left for Nebraska. As a college football fan that has travled to some big places I would understand, our game day atmosphere is but a pittance of what most of the rest of the conference has. We can't even bother the students to buy tickets because the tickets are too expensive.
The one caveat is this if Kill goes to Nebraska we get to keep Tracey Claeys as head coach and any assistants that would want to stay with him. I can see why the Big 1o media types are already profiling coach Kill for Nebraska he would win at a high level there and bring them everything they wanted and some. At the end of the day if Nebraska comes calling were not going to be able to compete.

Hasnt Kill said this (Minny) is his final stop?

Please tell me you are just trying to get people going. Every coach says they have no intention of leaving the place they are at until the day they decide to move on. Not saying he isn't telling the truth but putting stock in a comment like that from a coach is foolish because they all say that kind of stuff whether they mean it or not.

Please tell me you are just trying to get people going. Every coach says they have no intention of leaving the place they are at until the day they decide to move on. Not saying he isn't telling the truth but putting stock in a comment like that from a coach is foolish because they all say that kind of stuff whether they mean it or not.
I seem to remember Tommy Tuberville telling the Ole Miss fans that the only way he was leaving Oxford was in a pine box (shortly before he bolted for Auburn). Nearly all these guys are salesmen (i.e. recruiting and pandering to donors) and they would jump at an opportunity to move up the ladder if that is what they want. We all hope our guy is different, but you never know until the offer is in front of them.

This is true, but Alabama was 4-9 and Iowa St. was 2-10.

Dang facts! Though at kickoff of the Alabama game in Tuscaloosa, 'Bama was ranked #21 (Don Shula must have made a lot of phone calls to get Mike the job, what a bad hire). They also beat Maryland that year and Maryland finished 10-3 and ranked #17. Thank you Wikipedia.

Don't be ridiculous. The difference between Minnesota and Northern Illinois is leagues greater than the difference between Minnesota and Nebraska. Christ, Limegrover and Claeys make more money here than Kill himself did at Northern Illinois.

You could not be more wrong. It's not fair to judge Nebraska on the Gophers beating them the past 2 season. Kill beat us when he was with NIU too- and still came to Minnesota. Nebraska is still one of the Top 10 College jobs in the country just on resources and support alone. If Nebraska really wanted Kill, they would back up the Brinks truck and there is no way the Gophers could match it. I don't think they will though.

Are you being this dense on purpose? By your logic, Illinois is a better job than Michigan.

What I said earlier was in response to someone saying Kill would not leave the Gophers for Nebraska because our program is in better shape than theirs. If you judge by wins- their program is not in bad shape. You kind of pulled that out of context which is hard to believe that would ever happen on a message board.

Facilities and rabid fan base are big advantages for NE over MN, but not sure elite talent is much more likely to end up at NE than MN in the current era. In fact, there are some recruiting advantages in Twin Cities versus Lincoln, NE, when it comes to recruiting African American athletes, IMO. Ultinately, I think health is a major consideration, probably the most important consideration when it comes to Coach Kill. He has had a relatively clean year of health and is close to two of the best medical centers in the world. If I were him I'd be very careful not to upset the life balance that he has seemingly found. NE is a high stress job in a high stress profession. Ask Bo Pelini.

You could not be more wrong.

He says, as he stares into the mirror.

It's not fair to judge Nebraska on the Gophers beating them the past 2 season.

I'm judging Nebraska on the basis of zero conference championships in 15 years. They're a good, not great, program.

Kill beat us when he was with NIU too- and still came to Minnesota.

You're the one who keeps bringing up head-to-head, not me. I've never once said that Kill wouldn't go to Nebraska, just that there is an enormous difference between NIU and Minnesota, and a much smaller difference between Minnesota and Nebraska. That is a fact. That he left NIU for Minnesota is not at all analogous to whether he would leave Minnesota for Nebraska.

If Nebraska really wanted Kill, they would back up the Brinks truck and there is no way the Gophers could match it.

False. Minnesota could pay whatever Nebraska could if they chose to do so. It's a matter of willingness, not ability.

I also like how you ignored the part where our coordinators make more than Kill did at NIU - in fact, some of our position coaches make almost as much as Kill did at NIU.

Why do I feel like I'm trying to defend a position I do not have? Nebraska is a better job than Minnesota. If you think otherwise, you are wrong. Nebraska is not a program in bad shape.

As far as the assistants- why do I need to address something that has nothing to do with the discussion anyway? Do you think if they all go to Nebraska, the assistants won't get a raise too? What's your point?

Why do I feel like I'm trying to defend a position I do not have? Nebraska is a better job than Minnesota. If you think otherwise, you are wrong. Nebraska is not a program in bad shape.

I'm stating, factually, that the gap between NIU and Minnesota is so vast that anyone in their right mind would take the opportunity without a moment's hesitation. Declining that opportunity would be an indefensible decision. It is not the same when discussing the differences between Minnesota and Nebraska. One could decline the opportunity to move from Minnesota to Nebraska and defend their decision pretty easily. I haven't stated either of that Minnesota is a better than or equivalent program than Nebraska, nor that Nebraska is in bad shape.

As far as the assistants- why do I need to address something that has nothing to do with the discussion anyway? Do you think if they all go to Nebraska, the assistants won't get a raise too? What's your point?

It has everything to do with the discussion. The point is that Minnesota's program is so vastly superior to NIU's that the assistants here make more than the head coach does at NIU. For your overall argument to make sense (essentially, "Kill and staff jumped from NIU to Minnesota, so obviously they'd jump from Minnesota to Nebraska"), it would have to be the case that Nebraska's coordinators make more than Minnesota's head coach. Either of Minnesota's coordinators would have to take a pay cut if one were hired to be the head coach at NIU. Would Nebraska's coordinators have to take a pay cut to become the head coach at Minnesota? They would if Nebraska were so vastly superior to Minnesota, as you state.

It would be a lateral move. Same conference and same division. You would be playing the same teams. It would be bad for the conference for coaches to move from one Big Ten school to the other. They are not the program they used to be. The Twin Cities are better than Lincoln and Nebraska is the worst school academically in the Big Ten. None of this may matter but the folks in Lincoln think they are bigger than what is the new reality. The steroid era is over. I do think they are going for a big name and when he fails they will be looking for another coach in 4/5 years. When you have a record that Pelini had and you get fired I would not want to be the next coach.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen 3-4 national reporters tweet that Kill would be a great fit for Nebraska.

Given his health, the pressure to win in Nebraska, the loyalty and admiration our fans and admin have towards Kill, would you leave all that for a bit more money and better facilities?

No.

You could not be more wrong. It's not fair to judge Nebraska on the Gophers beating them the past 2 season. Kill beat us when he was with NIU too- and still came to Minnesota. Nebraska is still one of the Top 10 College jobs in the country just on resources and support alone. If Nebraska really wanted Kill, they would back up the Brinks truck and there is no way the Gophers could match it. I don't think they will though.

...and wildly unrealistic expectations.

Another thing people might not be considering is how Kill would view his long-term viability at Minnesota vs. a place like Nebraska or Michigan.

So do the helmet schools fire Kill in 4 years if he doesn't bring a national championship?

On our current trajectory, Kill will be here for a long, long time with (dare I say) lower expectations.

$2MM+ per year for 10 more years is a lot more than $3MM+ for 4 years.

Another thing people might not be considering is how Kill would view his long-term viability at Minnesota vs. a place like Nebraska or Michigan.

So do the helmet schools fire Kill in 4 years if he doesn't bring a national championship?

On our current trajectory, Kill will be here for a long, long time with (dare I say) lower expectations.

$2MM+ per year for 10 more years is a lot more than $3MM+ for 4 years.

However, Kill wouldn't think failure is a possibility. Kill has succeeded everywhere and would not worry about failing at NE. That isn't how winners like Kill are wired.

No. Nebraska and Miami are 1 and 1A of schools whose delusional fans/boosters have ridiculous expectations born of living 15-20 years in the past. They can't accept the reality that they are now just an above average school in a Power 5 conference. Michigan is approaching this territory, but I'm not convinced they can't be revived yet.

Nebraska is still one of the Top 10 College jobs in the country.

No. No it isn't. Not even top 20. Is it a better job than Minnesota? Yes. But mainly because of facilities (we're trying to fix that) and $$ (we should be able to come close to matching that.) It won't shock me if he leaves, but I'd much rather wait for Florida or Michigan to call.

I can't believe these clowns at Kansas think they're going to steal Kill away from us!

Top Bottom