If you were Kill and if ou were offered Neb job, would you take it?

Building up a program and leaving to go somewhere that has much higher expectations very rarely works well for coaches. So, no.

Especially if he brings his 4 five star recruits with him -- still not sure why they let him go but that many 9 win season would be nice to get used to including his bowl victories. Have to think in the short term it will hurt Neb on the field but have a suspicion they have a big name guy ready to step in by the beginning of Jan

According to 247 Nebraska has only two 4* recruits. They're 5th in the Big Ten in recruiting

Absolutely not. His best regular season record at Minnesota is not as good as the record that just got Pelini fired at Nebraska. Kill's method of instilling his system also seems to include being willing to put up with some growing pains while he changes things to be the way he wants them. He knows Nebraska fans wouldn't be very patient with that.

CBS: Possible coaching candidates for Nebraska

Jerry Kill: If Nebraska wants to poach a head coach from another school, Jerry Kill seems like a logical direction to go. Kill has decades of experience as a head coach, going 152-98 in his career. He's currently in his fourth season at Minnesota, where he's only 25-25 overall, but his teams have improved each season. This year's Gophers were ranked by the playoff selection committee before Saturday's loss to Wisconsin. Kill's Gophers team also beat Nebraska this season and finished ahead of the Huskers in the Big Ten West.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...654/possible-coaching-candidates-for-nebraska

Go Gophers!!

They just fired a guy that went 67-27 in seven seasons. That's 9.5 wins a year. And they fired the guy. So, basically, any coach they hire has to win 10+ games a year. That's some serious pressure, recruiting to Lincoln, NE. I don't care if they have the greatest facilities in the world; again, that's serious pressure.

In a heart beat. Nebraska commitment to FB>>>>>>>>MN.

If he's on Nebraska's list he is in the 2nd or 3rd tier. When was the last time a coach switched teams within the B1G?

Nebraska = Michigan West

Jerry Kill going to Nebraska is the equivalent of Brady Hoke going to Michigan. Kill would not be given license to do things his way. He'd have to bend to the way that Nebraska alum wanted things run. I think he'd quickly grow exhausted at Lincoln under that microscope. Here, in Minnesota, he has a fanbase that loves what he's doing, an AD and President he trusts and the best health facilities in the world to help him with health issues. Jerry will stay right here and Nebraska will likely follow Michigan.

You think kill wouldn't consider Nebraska but would consider Kansas?

I agree with you kill is not being considered by Nebraska.

Nebraska has two problems right now:
Mediocre QB play
Can't beat Wisconsin

I don't see how kill fixes either of those problems.

Kill and Clayes would definitely be able to fix their run D and make the Wisconsin series much more competitive. We have been much more competitive with Wisconsin the past two years than Nebraska has in 3 of their last 4 games.

Kill and Clayes would definitely be able to fix their run D and make the Wisconsin series much more competitive. We have been much more competitive with Wisconsin the past two years than Nebraska has in 3 of their last 4 games.

I don't think for a second that Kill is leaving, but there is no way Teague would let Claeys go as well - he'd be our new HC.

I don't think for a second that Kill is leaving, but there is no way Teague would let Claeys go as well - he'd be our new HC.

I doubt it. Teague likes big time hires and Claeys wouldn't be that. He would be continuity however. I doubt it matters who is right because it's not going to happen.

I've seen 3-4 national reporters tweet that Kill would be a great fit for Nebraska.

Given his health, the pressure to win in Nebraska, the loyalty and admiration our fans and admin have towards Kill, would you leave all that for a bit more money and better facilities?

No.

First, they won't offer; second, Minnesota stuck with Kill despite his health problems and he is a loyal guy; finally, in the long run, MN offers the same as Nebraska in terms of national prestige, Rose Bowl, conference, TV exposure, and I'm sure would raise the funds to match a Nebraska salary.

He's exceeding expectations and has all the fans on board here, where as a bad season or two in his first few years at Nebraska would get him fired. Don't think he would leave with such little room for error at Nebraska.

Almost a zero percent shot that this happens. Several points to consider:

1) Is there interest from Nebraska? Don't get me wrong......Kill is a great coach and has done wonders here at the U so far. However, until we win the big games and prove to be a national power.....I don't see Nebraska looking at him as the answer. This isn't a slight to Kill and staff. I bet they could do fantastic with those facilities and talent level. Just think that Nebraska is looking for a home run hire.

2) As others have said.....it's not normal for teams to poach head coaches from other conference teams. Something like that would be sure to stir some bad blood into the mix between athletic departments that probably have a good deal of respect for one another.

3) What is it that Kill wants? Does he care to win immediately? He's done a great job of rebuilding a down UofM team faster than anyone had really expected. Why can't he win here? Does he want to go and instill his culture at another program this soon? If support continues to build and the practice facility is underway......would that satisfy him? Maybe the higher salary would draw him there?

4) How does loyalty play into this. The U gave him a shot at the highest level in CFB. Even through the health issues.....the admin stood by him and even began to promote epilepsy awareness because of him. Just look at his coaching staff. He fought for pay increases for them and they clearly share a high level of mutual loyalty. How bad would it look to go to a division rival? Not very good.

5) We know that Nebraska fans tend to lend towards the delusional side. Nine wins seasons are not good enough. How long of a leash do they give him? Is that the kind of situation he wants to put himself into? What if he runs eight or nine win teams and is fired like Bo? His shot at high level CFB is gone. It's not as though he's a young guy and can rebuild his reputation. His position he at Minnesota is much more secure than it would be at Nebraska, and I'm sure that this is something that he would consider.

Nebraska and their fans are like a 5 year old child..."I want to win! I want to win now!". I am typing this a whining, spoiled voice btw. Kill would not like it here in OhMyGod (Omaha) or Lin-Colon (Lincoln). Hahaha

Fox Sports: Nebraska fires Bo Pelini: 7 strong candidates to be NU's next coach

Two older candidates whose styles would play well in Nebraska are Minnesota's Jerry Kill and Wyoming's Craig Bohl, a former long-time Husker assistant. Kill's 53 -- probably younger than most assume -- and has led the Gophers to an 8-4 season that included a win in Lincoln last week, and his success in the Big Ten won't go overlooked.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ired-cornhuskers-next-coach-candidates-113014

Go Gophers!!

I've seen 3-4 national reporters tweet that Kill would be a great fit for Nebraska.

Given his health, the pressure to win in Nebraska, the loyalty and admiration our fans and admin have towards Kill, would you leave all that for a bit more money and better facilities?

If Kill is offered the Nebraska job he will take it and not look back. But I don't believe he will be on their short list of candidates and the only way he would become part of the discussion is if all their top guys turn them down. Similar to what happened during our coaching search after Brewster was fired.

Kill's major problem is not building programs or retaining staff. He's shown he can do that. However, his #1 problem is maintaining good health. Stress is a major contributing factor in epilepsy. He is now managing his health appropriately and I very much doubt he wants to dive into any pressure cooker like Nebraska who will fire a coach with seven nine win seasons. Besides, he's already said that both he and his wife, Rebecca, love it here in the TC's and he hopes that he Gopher job will be his last job. Upgrading our facilities was an issue, but that is being addressed. Kill stays.

What I'm hearing:

Kill was definitely contacted but did not have interest.

The huskers will be hiring Jim Tressel as coach and Frost as OC / Coach in waiting. Should be announced this week.

Nebraska has two problems right now:
Mediocre QB play
Can't beat Wisconsin

I don't see how kill fixes either of those problems.

That sounds like the two big problems a team that shall remain nameless also has...

Kill would jump at Nebraska and if you don't think so...you are kidding yourself. I love Kill and the direction that he has the program going in, but all the 'Kill is loyal' talk is nothing but looking at the situation through Maroon and Gold tinted glasses. He has climbed the ladder every chance he has been given (and he should) and I don't see this any differently. Going to Nebraska gives him blue chippers and a chance at a National Championship that he probably will never have here. We all know he 'coaches up' players- imagine what he could do with real talent walking through the doors on Day 1.

Facilities- anything you want at Nebraska is given with no questions asked. Here, he has to beg and plead to get a facility built where players can eat their meals.

Not to mention attendance... look at the year the Gophers had and you can't fill the stadium against Ohio State and Iowa? There is no competition in Lincoln from Professional Sports and they've had sellouts since 1962. Kill has to devote time to trying to get the stadium filled that could be used on more productive things. I also think Kill thrives under pressure and loves being under the microscope. I hope he stays- but could not blame him for leaving.

That sounds like the two big problems a team that shall remain nameless also has...

Kill would jump at Nebraska and if you don't think so...you are kidding yourself. I love Kill and the direction that he has the program going in, but all the 'Kill is loyal' talk is nothing but looking at the situation through Maroon and Gold tinted glasses. He has climbed the ladder every chance he has been given (and he should) and I don't see this any differently. Going to Nebraska gives him blue chippers and a chance at a National Championship that he probably will never have here. We all know he 'coaches up' players- imagine what he could do with real talent walking through the doors on Day 1.

Facilities- anything you want at Nebraska is given with no questions asked. Here, he has to beg and plead to get a facility built where players can eat their meals.

Not to mention attendance... look at the year the Gophers had and you can't fill the stadium against Ohio State and Iowa? There is no competition in Lincoln from Professional Sports and they've had sellouts since 1962. Kill has to devote time to trying to get the stadium filled that could be used on more productive things. I also think Kill thrives under pressure and loves being under the microscope. I hope he stays- but could not blame him for leaving.

I don't think most of us think Kill would turn down a "better" job out of loyalty. What most of us are saying is that he has Minnesota in about the same place as Nebraska is right now, he will be going into next year with four years of his recruits who are indoctrinated into his system, and that we don't think he will leave for a job where he could get fired for a 9-3 season. If Kill takes the Nebraska job, and if they take a 2 game dip to 7-5 as they deal with growing pains trying to learn Kill-ball, he will be on the hotseat after one season.

Kill would jump at Nebraska and if you don't think so...you are kidding yourself.

Again, Kill was contacted and said he was not interested in talking to Nebraska so he didn't jump at Nebraska.

Jim Tressel will be announced by Thursday. Then after Saturday, the word is that Scott Frost will be announced as OC / Coach in waiting.

Man there is a lot of hilarious speculation presented as fact in this thread.

He might be a great fit for NE, not sure they'd offer him. They may want a sexy name. AD also on the hot seat there.

They may be a great fit for him, not sure he'd want them. Nebraska's 2 best seasons over the past 12 years have both resulted in the coach being fired. That means they will have to back up the brinks truck to lure a big name or hot up and comer. They are capable, but the coach who goes there needs to a big payoff because they WILL fire you if you aren't competing for national championships. And that just simply isn't as easy as it was 30 years ago when the NE name meant a lot and they had built-in advantage that they no longer enjoy.

Not saying I wouldn't do it and certainly not saying Jerry Kill wouldn't (like the rest of you I am guessing), if Kill really wants to see how he stacks up against the Saban's of the world he may feel that it isn't possible at MN. People need to realize that.

What I'm hearing:

Kill was definitely contacted but did not have interest.

The huskers will be hiring Jim Tressel as coach and Frost as OC / Coach in waiting. Should be announced this week.

I love the Internet.

If true, I love the Internet because of posts like this.
If not true, I love the Internet because of posts like this.

Nebraska and their fans are like a 5 year old child..."I want to win! I want to win now!". I am typing this a whining, spoiled voice btw. Kill would not like it here in OhMyGod (Omaha) or Lin-Colon (Lincoln). Hahaha

I don't have a problem with them firing a coach who hasn't met their standards. Pelini at Nebraska reminds me of Gardenhire when he was consistently winning the AL Central with the Twins. On the one hand, he was consistently churning out good season. On the other hand, he kept getting swept out of the first round and never had us feeling like we were getting any closer to advancing to the ALCS. As for Pelini, they want things to be better, and I can appreciate a fan base and administration not settling for almost great. At the same time, things can certainly be worse, and I won't feel bad for them if they make a bad decision on the next coach and end up in a worse situation.

Good thing JK's value system is not all about money like many here. JK has shown he values the people around him by taking less money so they can get more. JK has shown that good morals and ethics overshadow a win at all costs mantra. JK is on the edge of being revered and a statue being built in his honor here at MN. Why would he risk any of that and his health to go to a meat grinder like Nebraska? JK will finish his career here at MN and leave a legacy of what a true coach can accomplish.

Again, Kill was contacted and said he was not interested in talking to Nebraska so he didn't jump at Nebraska.

Jim Tressel will be announced by Thursday. Then after Saturday, the word is that Scott Frost will be announced as OC / Coach in waiting.

Well if you say so then it must be true.

I will say that I don't think Kill would actively campaign for the Nebraska job or put his name in the hat with a bunch of other candidates because that isn't really his style at all. I still believe he would take the job if he was offered but he wouldn't want the bad PR that would come with appearing to pursue another job and not getting it.

Are people forgetting he left an 11-3 Northern Illinois team that fairly easily handled the Gophers in 2010? A Minnesota Big Ten job is a step up the ladder from that position just like Nebraska would be from Minnesota. I don't buy the whole 'he won't leave this program to go to a program that's worse off'. Last I checked- Nebraska has won 9 games and the Gophers have 8. I really doubt Kill will even be offered the job, but if he is- I would be surprised if he did not take it. Nebraska is going to go after a Big Fish. Kill would probably be their smartest hire, but his name is still not big enough.

Top Bottom