If you want Claeys gone, email Coyle and let him know.

Umm Levine was fired with a winning record. Levine like Claeys had no HC experience. You kind of proved my point, so thanks?

"It's tough to think of any example of any team outside the historical top 25 firing a coach with a winning record for on the field performance and then getting better. There are probably some top 25 coaches who have been fired for going 6-5, that's about it."

That isn't what you asked. I responded to the question you actually asked. Nice try, though!

That isn't what you asked. I responded to the question you actually asked. Nice try, though!

I was responding to a post that said there are no examples of coaches getting fired with winning records... by pointing out Claeys was a special case. THANK YOU for the reminder Levine was in the same situation and fired after winning 8 and 7 games. I couldn't have done it without you

I was responding to a post that said there are no examples of coaches getting fired with winning records... by pointing out Claeys was a special case. THANK YOU for the reminder Levine was in the same situation and fired after winning 8 and 7 games. I couldn't have done it without you

Huh? That's not what you asked at all. Go back and read what you wrote. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

Huh? That's not what you asked at all. Go back and read what you wrote. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

How many coaches get fired after winning 7-8 games?
How many coaches are in a situation like Claeys?
Tony Levine is in a situation like Claeys and got fired after winning 7 and 8 games!
Thanks!! So there is precendence, even though the original poster had doubted that.

You have been a big help

I was willing to wait until the end of the season to make a decision on whether to fire Claeys. Based on today's performance, along with our performance against non-cellar dwellers, I will be sending an email to Coyle asking that he terminate Claeys. I like Claeys and his staff, but with a new qb coming in, it is time to make a change.

This staff has not developed a qb nor a receiver. Let's pay that $1.5 million plus to someone else. TCF will be a ghost town next year if Claeys is here.

Claeys and co will be fine. They are good position coaches and will find landing spots elsewhere. Regardless, it is not about how Claeys feels, it is about the U. If we want to prevent this program from going back to the 90's, fire Claeys. I implore you.

It'll go right into Coyle's junk mail

It'll go right into Coyle's junk mail

Hopefully, he's not wasting his time reading emails from GH. I realize it's an opinion board but a few people think they actually have a say in what's going to happen.

How many coaches get fired after winning 7-8 games?

A lot - typically at schools that are historically great and for which winning 7-8 games is less than expected (i.e., not Minnesota).

How many coaches are in a situation like Claeys?

A lot - assistant coaches get upgraded to full-time head coaches at the same school fairly frequently. It isn't rare.

Tony Levine is in a situation like Claeys and got fired after winning 7 and 8 games!

Tony Levine's situation wasn't like Claeys' situation at all. Levine's predecessor won 12 games in the season that he left and handed Levine the #17-ranked team in the country. He also won 10 games in a previous season. Claeys' predecessor won 8 games twice in five seasons and Claeys can exceed that high water mark in year 1 with a win in the bowl game. Levine's predecessor was 24-8 in conference (.750), while Levine was 14-10 (.583). Claeys' predecessor was 14-21 (.400), while Claeys is 6-8 (.429). The situations aren't comparable.

Thanks!! So there is precendence, even though the original poster had doubted that.

No, there isn't. How many coaches have been fired after one year, one year in which they outperformed historical precedent and the expectations of journalists, Vegas, and the general public?

A lot - typically at schools that are historically great and for which winning 7-8 games is less than expected (i.e., not Minnesota).

A lot - assistant coaches get upgraded to full-time head coaches at the same school fairly frequently. It isn't rare.

Tony Levine's situation wasn't like Claeys' situation at all. Levine's predecessor won 12 games in the season that he left and handed Levine the #17-ranked team in the country. He also won 10 games in a previous season. Claeys' predecessor won 8 games twice in five seasons and Claeys can exceed that high water mark in year 1 with a win in the bowl game. Levine's predecessor was 24-8 in conference (.750), while Levine was 14-10 (.583). Claeys' predecessor was 14-21 (.400), while Claeys is 6-8 (.429). The situations aren't comparable.

No, there isn't. How many coaches have been fired after one year, one year in which they outperformed historical precedent and the expectations of journalists, Vegas, and the general public?

Thanks again for your help in answering the original question "It's tough to think of any example of any team outside the historical top 25 firing a coach with a winning record for on the field performance and then getting better. There are probably some top 25 coaches who have been fired for going 6-5, that's about it." that I responded to.

You've been a big help

Thanks again for your help in answering the original question "It's tough to think of any example of any team outside the historical top 25 firing a coach with a winning record for on the field performance and then getting better. There are probably some top 25 coaches who have been fired for going 6-5, that's about it." that I responded to.

You've been a big help

It is rare. Rarer yet if you add the qualifiers DPO added of year one, outperforming the predecessor, etc.

But by all means let's put the coaching world on notice, you are not safe at Minnesota if you don't go 9-3 in your first season. Don't stand in front of Coyle's office door - you're liable to be trampled!

Top Bottom