If we fire Brewster we will handicap our program for another 10 years!

Not doubting you Doogie. I'd just be stunned if it ever happened.

But this shows where the "coordinator" tag can be misleading. Bevell's the offensive coordinator in name only for the Vikings as it's Childress doing all the X-and-O stuff. It's like Sherm Lewis when he was offensive coordinator under Mike Holmgren.

Brewster was never a coordinator, but I would argue that, in reality, neither has Bevell been one.

Disagree slightly ... Bevell has been calling the plays for some time now ... no doubt that Childress has way more influence on the off. vs. the def. but Bevell has really come a long way since when he 1st got here in '06.

Brew Support

This is my first comment to the forum and as I have been driven to comment previously I am satisfied that I waited till now as I might have written something I later would have regretted. For awhile I wanted to bash the Brew, however, after digesting what has transpired with the offense and the play calling and lack of offense I think our problem is with Mr. Fisch. Watching the game Saturday I thought Mr. Fisch looked totally overwhelmed with his position and I believe Mr. Fisch is in over his head. And you know what, I think the players pick up on this and therefore we have very poor discipline that developes into the players and offense. I heard the comment "A WIN IS A WIN''. I do not agree with this comment as I think this attitude does not promote excellence, but it does promote a mediocre attitude amongst the coaches and players.

Now, we need to start presenting a possitive picture of what the Gopher program can offer to new recruits and stop bashing the Brew. I hope all the negative comments do not cause S.H. and others from joining the Gopher nation. We have some great recruits coming in and just a couple more top players will help turn this program around.

I agree Fisch is in over his head. My hope is that he's as smart as they say and can grow into his job. He certainly has the right resume to suggest he was headed to this position, although probably a few years too early.

It's typical of coaches from the pro's who have little college experience, they think they can out complicate the competition. They soon learn, they have to out execute the competition. His job should he accept it is to figure out what his team can handle and scale back to that. The same thing we saw in year one on the defensive side. The kids aren't pro's, they don't execute like them, and thinking slows them way down.

This is my first comment to the forum and as I have been driven to comment previously I am satisfied that I waited till now as I might have written something I later would have regretted. For awhile I wanted to bash the Brew, however, after digesting what has transpired with the offense and the play calling and lack of offense I think our problem is with Mr. Fisch. Watching the game Saturday I thought Mr. Fisch looked totally overwhelmed with his position and I believe Mr. Fisch is in over his head. And you know what, I think the players pick up on this and therefore we have very poor discipline that developes into the players and offense. I heard the comment "A WIN IS A WIN''. I do not agree with this comment as I think this attitude does not promote excellence, but it does promote a mediocre attitude amongst the coaches and players.

Now, we need to start presenting a possitive picture of what the Gopher program can offer to new recruits and stop bashing the Brew. I hope all the negative comments do not cause S.H. and others from joining the Gopher nation. We have some great recruits coming in and just a couple more top players will help turn this program around.

I agree with most of what you're saying...and welcome to the forum.

The eternally sarcastic SOB in me feels the need to point out that whether or not you agree with it, a win is indeed a win.

Changing coaches destroys us for 10 years??? What the hell is Brew doing? People say changing coaches does no good. Yeah, because we hire bad coaches like Wacker, Mason and Brewster and horrible coaches like Salem and John (12 men on the field) Gutekunst. Hire a great coach and who cares about the changing deal? You guys are loyal and passionate but don't you see Brew is not a smart coach? His teams don't get better during the season, they get worse. He has had a few wins handed him by teams that played poorly. But name one game he's won with his great coaching? He makes Chilly look like Vince.

There are several posters with whom I disagree, and they make good points. You are not one of them, Halsey.

If the money is there from a booster ($2.5-$3 million) to go after Tommy Tubberville, I would be all for that. I think he is the football equivalent of Tubby Smith or as close as we'll ever come. He is a strong candidate for the UVA job already and probably others that come open.

But if we're only going to choose from the usual suspects, I can probably stomach one more year to see what Brew can do.

Changing coaches destroys us for 10 years??? What the hell is Brew doing? People say changing coaches does no good. Yeah, because we hire bad coaches like Wacker, Mason and Brewster and horrible coaches like Salem and John (12 men on the field) Gutekunst. Hire a great coach and who cares about the changing deal? You guys are loyal and passionate but don't you see Brew is not a smart coach? His teams don't get better during the season, they get worse. He has had a few wins handed him by teams that played poorly. But name one game he's won with his great coaching? He makes Chilly look like Vince.

so the u has that kind of money to first buy out a contract and then later write up a new contract for much more money for a big time coach? we are taking a bus to iowa this week rather then flying due to saving money! and lets say this "big time" coach flops? i mean its never happened before where a name has come into a program and done nothing! then what, we use that fat pocket and do it again? get real! any reasonable person knows its a 4-5 year job and then you evaluate! no matter who the coach is, and a "big name" coach may not work out and you start over again. i dont know yet if brew is a good coach, but i would be willing to give him 5 seasons, if its the same after that, then i would release him and start looking. but i have patience...and i will have patience for the next guy if it comes to that.

About to dig into Vikes work ... just reacting to the headline for now, and I will preface this take with this: I believe Brewster deserves a 4th year ... but if you think this program in a weak Big Ten would be handicapped for 10 years, you are nuts ... they could get a 1-A head coach from another school who is winning at a high level relatively easily ... so would that guy put the program back 10-years?

Has this ever worked for the U?

Who the fvck do you think we are going to hire, Doogie?!

Who is winning right now who would want to come here? What head coach? This sorry excuse for a fanbase, putrid media market and tattered traditions that predate poly-fvcking-chromatic film!!!!

What 1-A guy is coming?

With what we pay/what we expect NOBODY is coming from a winning FBS program to god fvcking forsaken Minnesota! So stop with the goddam bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Go back to poor postgame coverage of the Twins. :banghead:

Just recall

that Monson was losing for years but didn't get fired (in preseason) until it was obvious he couldn't fill seats. Empty seats at TCF will dictate Brewsters firing regardless of fan apathy. Just don't show up and Brew will get fired.

I know may on this sight assumed we would be winning the national championship this season and with a 6-6 record that no one expected, the "Fire Brewster" comments are really coming out of the woodwork. These are the reasons why we should not fire Brew:

1) 2 years and 12 games for a new head coach taking over a sub par program is not even remotely close to enough time!

2) I believe Brew hasn't been playing his recruits yet(for the most part) because these guys are being developed(learning the playbooks, strength and conditioning, personal growth)

3) He hasn't shown to me that he is a bad coach yet(Losing to NDSU sucked, but I'm pretty sure any coach walking into that crappy team would have been beaten as well)

4) The U hasn't had this much support since I was born. I have never seen so many kids walking around in Gopher gear in my life, I believe that has everything to do with Brew and his over the top positivity.

5) He has played Wisconsin tough since his arrival, Iowa has kicked our ass, but for all of you saying "be competitive with our rivals, I have to say losing to Wisky the last 2 years has been quite competitive...55-0 blows, but let's see how it plays out this week. by the way, iowa nearly lost to niu who is a d1aa school, i dont think the majority of their fan base was thinking the sky is falling. they barely remember that game at this point!

6) If we fire him right now, or at the end of the season, what coach will want to walk into this program knowing that if he doesn't win 8+ wins on average he will be fired within 3 years? How many more coordinators will we put these kids through?

7) I know many of you are trying to compare tubby and brew, which is ridiculous! you can change a program with one-two players in hoops, football it takes a lot of depth...you cant breing in henderson and expect a championship that first year. By the way, I would like to thank this board for officially turning henderson off to our program! i know he checks into the fan bases of the schools, he hears the boos just like the other recruits and thinks what a joke of a fanbase!

8) We need stability, we need all of our coordinators to stick around, we need to fill the stadium every week, and we need to act right so when recruits show up they dont get disgusted with our negative fans. by the way all you "play gray" people need to calm it down, he hasn't looked very good yet. yes you wioll say he hasn't been given a fair shot, but neither has moses alipate, maybe he is the best player for the position. maybe we should line up all our qb's give them a series and see how it goes? im not actually for that last comment but you people need to have patience!

9) I could go on with a hundred of these but this is my last one...for people talking about glen mason...i would much rather get slaughtered 55-0 by iowa then have a 28 point second half lead and blow it against Michigan, or blow the biggest lead in bowl history to texas tech in the second half, or bitch and moan about brewster not beating his rivals, when did mason dominate our rivals? when did mason bring in hope we were going to become a top team in the big ten? when did mason do anything more than just do enough to get by?

If someone can be rational and give quality reasons why we should fire our coach so early in this process i would like to hear it! Dont just tell me its because of his record, we all expected this!

Did you say fire or keep him would screw us? I'm confused.

Has this ever worked for the U?

Who the fvck do you think we are going to hire, Doogie?!

Who is winning right now who would want to come here? What head coach? This sorry excuse for a fanbase, putrid media market and tattered traditions that predate poly-fvcking-chromatic film!!!!

What 1-A guy is coming?

With what we pay/what we expect NOBODY is coming from a winning FBS program to god fvcking forsaken Minnesota! So stop with the goddam bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Go back to poor postgame coverage of the Twins. :banghead:

Start w/ Kevin Sumlin or Troy Calhoun. Form a committee of former players to have a say. Don't use that damn service they did last time. Talk to Dungy as well. The right coach can win here. Have to find that individual.

6) If we fire him right now, or at the end of the season, what coach will want to walk into this program knowing that if he doesn't win 8+ wins on average he will be fired within 3 years? How many more coordinators will we put these kids through?

I don't have a big problem with most of this post. However I do not think that this will scare away potential coaches. Their egos don't scare that easily. Plus, its not the 8+ wins that people are upset about - its playing horribly and losing to South Dakota. I will give Brewster credit for being enthusiastic, etc., but when he came in saying, "I have a PhD in football," he was pushing it. He did not however say that he had a PhD in "coaching" football. I will be traveling 1500 miles to see the Gophers play this weekend and will be cheering the Gophers, I really want to see progress next week though.

The Gophers just lost to South Dakota! At home! Nothing would set the program back 10 minutes, let alone 10 years. Fire Brewster now. He had his chance and he has failed.

You can't fire a guy until his first class of recruits graduate imo. We haven't even had a chance to see what Gray can do as the full time starter.

And who's fault is that? Weber is freaking .500 against FCS teams in his career. If Gray can't beat that out, he isn't going to be worth seeing.

i forgot that ferenz came into iowa and started ripping off 10 wins in a row right away, didn't he?

Then you must have also forgotten that he had a bowl victory in year three and a Big Ten title in year four.

i wrote this last nov, i believed if we fired him at that point we would be doing more harm then good. at this point i can admit that i am wrong and we need to cut the cord and by all means run maturi out of town! maybe get rid of maturi first and then brew!

I think the 40 years of ineptitude shown by the Gophers is a far more serious problem than Brewster. Fire him now. I used to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I've seen nothing in the last year and two games that leads me to believe he is a capable Head Coach.

From a strategic planning perspective

I thought that through this year the team was being built, as Mr. Brewster has often remarked. But, upon review, he never elaborates on this point. He claims we are football smarter, faster, and stronger now more than at any time in the last 3 years. Well, that did not show up on Saturday. Because I did not DVR the game, I can not tell you frame by frame, so I will have to play the role of the unreliable first hand witness. I viewed the game from section 203, right in the heart of 'Yote country. Nice folk, everyone of them. Very polite and respectful.

1.) No strategic mission or vision has been made available to either the public or the team. As a point of being pendantic, "winning the Rose bowl" or "going undefeated" is not a mission statement. These types of statements answer what and how are going to do something. Simple.
He has not articulated it. "Pound the rock" does not describe directly what he intends to do.

2) After changing offensive philosophies 2x, refer back to 1.

3) He has not established a vision of the team. "Fast and Strong" is a weak vision statement.
See 1.

4) He has high staff turnover at key leadership positions. Refer back to 1.

5) He has had difficulty in recruiting top talent. Refer back to 1. Lack of a team identity will keep talent away.

6) He has had 4 years to write a mission and vision statement that the team can refer to in planning their activities around football. See mission statement, vision statement, planning documentation, tasking, etc. The playbook is not a planning document. It is the tasking document, which should be a result of the mission, vision, and planning phases.

7) Name one fan who can identify the Identity of the team! Anyone?

8) Name the defensive style preferred by the Gopher coaching staff for this year and the next 10 years.

9) Anything that we are still trying to identify in regards to this team reflects a first step in the planning cycle of any organization. We have yet to identify the most rudimentary and fundamental planning steps of creating a mission and vision for this club.

As a result, we can conclude that a termination will not lose the organization any momentum moving forward. Bringing in a competent staff will offer the team the following.

1.) an identity
2.) a plan
3.) milestones
4.) objectives
5.) tasking
6.) game tactics
7.) game day adjustments
8.) recruiting for need and not simply what is left over on the table.

Completely Untrue...

I know may on this sight assumed we would be winning the national championship this season and with a 6-6 record that no one expected, the "Fire Brewster" comments are really coming out of the woodwork. These are the reasons why we should not fire Brew:

1) 2 years and 12 games for a new head coach taking over a sub par program is not even remotely close to enough time!

2) I believe Brew hasn't been playing his recruits yet(for the most part) because these guys are being developed(learning the playbooks, strength and conditioning, personal growth)

3) He hasn't shown to me that he is a bad coach yet(Losing to NDSU sucked, but I'm pretty sure any coach walking into that crappy team would have been beaten as well)

4) The U hasn't had this much support since I was born. I have never seen so many kids walking around in Gopher gear in my life, I believe that has everything to do with Brew and his over the top positivity.

5) He has played Wisconsin tough since his arrival, Iowa has kicked our ass, but for all of you saying "be competitive with our rivals, I have to say losing to Wisky the last 2 years has been quite competitive...55-0 blows, but let's see how it plays out this week. by the way, iowa nearly lost to niu who is a d1aa school, i dont think the majority of their fan base was thinking the sky is falling. they barely remember that game at this point!

7) I know many of you are trying to compare tubby and brew, which is ridiculous! you can change a program with one-two players in hoops, football it takes a lot of depth...you cant breing in henderson and expect a championship that first year. By the way, I would like to thank this board for officially turning henderson off to our program! i know he checks into the fan bases of the schools, he hears the boos just like the other recruits and thinks what a joke of a fanbase!

8) We need stability, we need all of our coordinators to stick around, we need to fill the stadium every week, and we need to act right so when recruits show up they dont get disgusted with our negative fans. by the way all you "play gray" people need to calm it down, he hasn't looked very good yet. yes you wioll say he hasn't been given a fair shot, but neither has moses alipate, maybe he is the best player for the position. maybe we should line up all our qb's give them a series and see how it goes? im not actually for that last comment but you people need to have patience!

9) I could go on with a hundred of these but this is my last one...for people talking about glen mason...i would much rather get slaughtered 55-0 by iowa then have a 28 point second half lead and blow it against Michigan, or blow the biggest lead in bowl history to texas tech in the second half, or bitch and moan about brewster not beating his rivals, when did mason dominate our rivals? when did mason bring in hope we were going to become a top team in the big ten? when did mason do anything more than just do enough to get by?

If someone can be rational and give quality reasons why we should fire our coach so early in this process i would like to hear it! Dont just tell me its because of his record, we all expected this!

It all depends on who you hire. I know some here hate Lou Holtz, but when he came to MN, he was a game changer. The talent he inherited was terrible. Still, by the end of his second and last year, the Gophers were very competitive (nearly beat top-ranked Oklahoma) and the talent was greatly upgraded. You bring in a game changer, and things CHANGE for the better. Holtz would get a lot more out of our current talent....he demands it. It would cost big bucks, but we did it once and we can do it again. This time we need to keep the guy for more than two years. Brewster was not a game changer, he was a calculated risk.

Top Bottom