If we fire Brewster we will handicap our program for another 10 years!

lakesgopher

Reaction score
I know may on this sight assumed we would be winning the national championship this season and with a 6-6 record that no one expected, the "Fire Brewster" comments are really coming out of the woodwork. These are the reasons why we should not fire Brew:

1) 2 years and 12 games for a new head coach taking over a sub par program is not even remotely close to enough time!

2) I believe Brew hasn't been playing his recruits yet(for the most part) because these guys are being developed(learning the playbooks, strength and conditioning, personal growth)

3) He hasn't shown to me that he is a bad coach yet(Losing to NDSU sucked, but I'm pretty sure any coach walking into that crappy team would have been beaten as well)

4) The U hasn't had this much support since I was born. I have never seen so many kids walking around in Gopher gear in my life, I believe that has everything to do with Brew and his over the top positivity.

5) He has played Wisconsin tough since his arrival, Iowa has kicked our ass, but for all of you saying "be competitive with our rivals, I have to say losing to Wisky the last 2 years has been quite competitive...55-0 blows, but let's see how it plays out this week. by the way, iowa nearly lost to niu who is a d1aa school, i dont think the majority of their fan base was thinking the sky is falling. they barely remember that game at this point!

6) If we fire him right now, or at the end of the season, what coach will want to walk into this program knowing that if he doesn't win 8+ wins on average he will be fired within 3 years? How many more coordinators will we put these kids through?

7) I know many of you are trying to compare tubby and brew, which is ridiculous! you can change a program with one-two players in hoops, football it takes a lot of depth...you cant breing in henderson and expect a championship that first year. By the way, I would like to thank this board for officially turning henderson off to our program! i know he checks into the fan bases of the schools, he hears the boos just like the other recruits and thinks what a joke of a fanbase!

8) We need stability, we need all of our coordinators to stick around, we need to fill the stadium every week, and we need to act right so when recruits show up they dont get disgusted with our negative fans. by the way all you "play gray" people need to calm it down, he hasn't looked very good yet. yes you wioll say he hasn't been given a fair shot, but neither has moses alipate, maybe he is the best player for the position. maybe we should line up all our qb's give them a series and see how it goes? im not actually for that last comment but you people need to have patience!

9) I could go on with a hundred of these but this is my last one...for people talking about glen mason...i would much rather get slaughtered 55-0 by iowa then have a 28 point second half lead and blow it against Michigan, or blow the biggest lead in bowl history to texas tech in the second half, or bitch and moan about brewster not beating his rivals, when did mason dominate our rivals? when did mason bring in hope we were going to become a top team in the big ten? when did mason do anything more than just do enough to get by?

If someone can be rational and give quality reasons why we should fire our coach so early in this process i would like to hear it! Dont just tell me its because of his record, we all expected this!

5) by the way, iowa nearly lost to niu who is a d1aa school, i dont think the majority of their fan base was thinking the sky is falling. they barely remember that game at this point!

And as soon as we rip off 10 or 12 straight wins, including some over ranked opponents, I'll forget about the struggles against SDSU. When do you foresee that happening?

And as soon as we rip off 10 or 12 straight wins, including some over ranked opponents, I'll forget about the struggles against SDSU. When do you foresee that happening?

This guy doesn't get it! At all!!!

I know may on this sight assumed we would be winning the national championship this season and with a 6-6 record that no one expected, the "Fire Brewster" comments are really coming out of the woodwork. These are the reasons why we should not fire Brew:

1) 2 years and 12 games for a new head coach taking over a sub par program is not even remotely close to enough time!

2) I believe Brew hasn't been playing his recruits yet(for the most part) because these guys are being developed(learning the playbooks, strength and conditioning, personal growth)

3) He hasn't shown to me that he is a bad coach yet(Losing to NDSU sucked, but I'm pretty sure any coach walking into that crappy team would have been beaten as well)

4) The U hasn't had this much support since I was born. I have never seen so many kids walking around in Gopher gear in my life, I believe that has everything to do with Brew and his over the top positivity.

5) He has played Wisconsin tough since his arrival, Iowa has kicked our ass, but for all of you saying "be competitive with our rivals, I have to say losing to Wisky the last 2 years has been quite competitive...55-0 blows, but let's see how it plays out this week. by the way, iowa nearly lost to niu who is a d1aa school, i dont think the majority of their fan base was thinking the sky is falling. they barely remember that game at this point!

6) If we fire him right now, or at the end of the season, what coach will want to walk into this program knowing that if he doesn't win 8+ wins on average he will be fired within 3 years? How many more coordinators will we put these kids through?

7) I know many of you are trying to compare tubby and brew, which is ridiculous! you can change a program with one-two players in hoops, football it takes a lot of depth...you cant breing in henderson and expect a championship that first year. By the way, I would like to thank this board for officially turning henderson off to our program! i know he checks into the fan bases of the schools, he hears the boos just like the other recruits and thinks what a joke of a fanbase!

8) We need stability, we need all of our coordinators to stick around, we need to fill the stadium every week, and we need to act right so when recruits show up they dont get disgusted with our negative fans. by the way all you "play gray" people need to calm it down, he hasn't looked very good yet. yes you wioll say he hasn't been given a fair shot, but neither has moses alipate, maybe he is the best player for the position. maybe we should line up all our qb's give them a series and see how it goes? im not actually for that last comment but you people need to have patience!

9) I could go on with a hundred of these but this is my last one...for people talking about glen mason...i would much rather get slaughtered 55-0 by iowa then have a 28 point second half lead and blow it against Michigan, or blow the biggest lead in bowl history to texas tech in the second half, or bitch and moan about brewster not beating his rivals, when did mason dominate our rivals? when did mason bring in hope we were going to become a top team in the big ten? when did mason do anything more than just do enough to get by?

If someone can be rational and give quality reasons why we should fire our coach so early in this process i would like to hear it! Dont just tell me its because of his record, we all expected this!

Well said! :clap:

Here, the extreme, instant gratification solution for all Minny's, 40-year lower-tier ills is: "FIRE BREWSTER NOW!"

From my distant reading of the threads, this isn't the current view of most Holers.

i have noticed this as well.

if people would give the guy the chance he deserves, then we might actually see 10 to 12 wins in a row on a regular basis.

i forgot that ferenz came into iowa and started ripping off 10 wins in a row right away, didn't he?

TITAN! to whose immortal eyes
The sufferings of mortality,
Seen in their sad reality,
Were not as things that gods despise;
What was thy pity's recompense?
A silent suffering, and intense;
The rock, the vulture, and the chain,
All that the proud can feel of pain,
The agony they do not show,
The suffocating sense of woe,
Which speaks but in its loneliness,
And then is jealous lest the sky
Should have a listener, nor will sigh
Until its voice is echoless.

Titan! to thee the strife was given
Between the suffering and the will,
Which torture where they cannot kill;
And the inexorable Heaven,
And the deaf tyranny of Fate,
The ruling principle of Hate,
Which for its pleasure doth create
The things it may annihilate,
Refus'd thee even the boon to die:
The wretched gift Eternity
Was thine--and thou hast borne it well.
All that the Thunderer wrung from thee
Was but the menace which flung back
On him the torments of thy rack;
The fate thou didst so well foresee,
But would not to appease him tell;
And in thy Silence was his Sentence,
And in his Soul a vain repentance,
And evil dread so ill dissembled,
That in his hand the lightnings trembled.

Thy Godlike crime was to be kind,
To render with thy precepts less
The sum of human wretchedness,
And strengthen Man with his own mind;
But baffled as thou wert from high,
Still in thy patient energy,
In the endurance, and repulse
Of thine impenetrable Spirit,
Which Earth and Heaven could not convulse,
A mighty lesson we inherit:
Thou art a symbol and a sign
To Mortals of their fate and force;
Like thee, Man is in part divine,
A troubled stream from a pure source;
And Man in portions can foresee
His own funereal destiny;
His wretchedness, and his resistance,
And his sad unallied existence:
To which his Spirit may oppose
Itself--and equal to all woes,
And a firm will, and a deep sense,
Which even in torture can descry
Its own concenter'd recompense,
Triumphant where it dares defy,
And making Death a Victory.

Very nice post! I agree with nearly everything, except for the "play gray" comments in #8. Please dispose with any argument that states he "hasn't looked good yet". The TD drive against OSU's 2nd team defense cannot be ruled out simply because their starters were out of the game. We should also remember that OSU was trying to protect a shutout (so there was incentive for them to play hard) plus many of those 2nd tier guys would be starters at 6 or 7 Big Ten schools. How many TD drives did Weber lead against PSU, OSU, or SDSU? Gray looked poised, confident, and clearly caused some concern for the OSU defense in a situation where they realized he was a threat to throw or run.

With that being said, great post. I especially agree with #4. I haven't seen this much excitement and fan support around the program since the brief Holtz era. This is due in large part to Brewster's enthusiasm and positivity about the program. That cannot be a negative, so people need to get off his back about his championship comments. You need to lay out the goals and strive towards them. Being "realistic" has no place when dealing with confidence in sports.

TITAN! to whose immortal eyes
The sufferings of mortality,
Seen in their sad reality,
Were not as things that gods despise;
What was thy pity's recompense?
A silent suffering, and intense;
The rock, the vulture, and the chain,
All that the proud can feel of pain,
The agony they do not show,
The suffocating sense of woe,
Which speaks but in its loneliness,
And then is jealous lest the sky
Should have a listener, nor will sigh
Until its voice is echoless.

Titan! to thee the strife was given
Between the suffering and the will,
Which torture where they cannot kill;
And the inexorable Heaven,
And the deaf tyranny of Fate,
The ruling principle of Hate,
Which for its pleasure doth create
The things it may annihilate,
Refus'd thee even the boon to die:
The wretched gift Eternity
Was thine--and thou hast borne it well.
All that the Thunderer wrung from thee
Was but the menace which flung back
On him the torments of thy rack;
The fate thou didst so well foresee,
But would not to appease him tell;
And in thy Silence was his Sentence,
And in his Soul a vain repentance,
And evil dread so ill dissembled,
That in his hand the lightnings trembled.

Thy Godlike crime was to be kind,
To render with thy precepts less
The sum of human wretchedness,
And strengthen Man with his own mind;
But baffled as thou wert from high,
Still in thy patient energy,
In the endurance, and repulse
Of thine impenetrable Spirit,
Which Earth and Heaven could not convulse,
A mighty lesson we inherit:
Thou art a symbol and a sign
To Mortals of their fate and force;
Like thee, Man is in part divine,
A troubled stream from a pure source;
And Man in portions can foresee
His own funereal destiny;
His wretchedness, and his resistance,
And his sad unallied existence:
To which his Spirit may oppose
Itself--and equal to all woes,
And a firm will, and a deep sense,
Which even in torture can descry
Its own concenter'd recompense,
Triumphant where it dares defy,
And making Death a Victory.

A memorial tribute to?

Please don't leave mere mortal Holers guessing...that's too cruel.:cry:

tryin' to class this joint up with some byron, yo

Very nice post! I agree with nearly everything, except for the "play gray" comments in #8. Please dispose with any argument that states he "hasn't looked good yet". The TD drive against OSU's 2nd team defense cannot be ruled out simply because their starters were out of the game. We should also remember that OSU was trying to protect a shutout (so there was incentive for them to play hard) plus many of those 2nd tier guys would be starters at 6 or 7 Big Ten schools. How many TD drives did Weber lead against PSU, OSU, or SDSU? Gray looked poised, confident, and clearly caused some concern for the OSU defense in a situation where they realized he was a threat to throw or run.

With that being said, great post. I especially agree with #4. I haven't seen this much excitement and fan support around the program since the brief Holtz era. This is due in large part to Brewster's enthusiasm and positivity about the program. That cannot be a negative, so people need to get off his back about his championship comments. You need to lay out the goals and strive towards them. Being "realistic" has no place when dealing with confidence in sports.[/QUOTE]

Interesting take...I've always thought that being successful on the field...or expecting to be successful...led to a higher confidence level and even more success in the future. Maybe that approach is not being in touch with reality or being "realistic".

I think setting the program back ten years is an overstatement, but it would mean starting over from square one yet again and would likely mean at least three-to-five years of frustration.

I think setting the program back ten years is an overstatement, but it would mean starting over from square one yet again and would likely mean at least three-to-five years of frustration.

You see, if we actually hired a good coach who knew what was going on, people would actually realize it does not take that long to rebuild or even use the "rebuild" term. That is an excuse poor football programs use to sleep at night. Oh...yea we are going to be bad for three or four or five years but than things will start picking up. Um......yea. First case in point: Wisconsin didn't miss a beat hiring Bielema. Look at Harbaugh in Stanford. Didn't have the best record his first two years but he has now beat USC 2 of the 3 years he has been there and thoroughly destroyed Oregon and USC in back to back games. Man I'm jealous of Stanford.

Edit - Didn't mean to call you out meant "rebuilding" as a whole.:p

1) You means 3 years and 36 games??? I may be missing something here, is that case, my bad.

3) I've witnessed this year, in person, the G's having a first and goal from the 6" inch line and run passing plays that have results in 10 losses and FGs (Wisco and Illinois). Probably the two worst play calling sequences I have ever witnessed. Obviously your comment is all relative, but I just had to bring these situations up because I nearly jumped 10 ft in the air each time.

4) Is this because of Brew or because of a $300m state of the art stadium???? I'm guessing since Brew has been here the prior two years and the support wasn't there that its because of the stadium.

6) While I agree the revolving coordinators is terrible, what makes you think it won't continue under Brew?? Why not get a coach in here who has loyal people under him who we know would stick around? And we kept Mason for 10 years, just b/c we'd get rid of a coach after 3 years of crap, I'm sure the guy could look past that, given he has any confidence at all.

9) You'd rather get blown out 55-0 than play a game where we proved for half of the time we were the better team, then proved the other half we weren't the better team??? I guess I'd take the close loss and hope at some point we'd learn to execute the one extra play that be in a situation where we cannot even take any positives from it???

I'm not saying Brew needs to be fired right now, but I do believe he has one more year to show improvement or he's gone. Some of your logic for keeping him on and giving him more and more chances I just don't agree with.

About to dig into Vikes work ... just reacting to the headline for now, and I will preface this take with this: I believe Brewster deserves a 4th year ... but if you think this program in a weak Big Ten would be handicapped for 10 years, you are nuts ... they could get a 1-A head coach from another school who is winning at a high level relatively easily ... so would that guy put the program back 10-years?

Agreed! Let's let Brew be the one to handicap our program for another 10 years

About to dig into Vikes work ... just reacting to the headline for now, and I will preface this take with this: I believe Brewster deserves a 4th year ... but if you think this program in a weak Big Ten would be handicapped for 10 years, you are nuts ... they could get a 1-A head coach from another school who is winning at a high level relatively easily ... so would that guy put the program back 10-years?

Yeah, on second thought, I agree with the thought...the ten year time frame is a bit extreme. But I think most people would agree that canning Brew now would set back the program at least a couple years. And you have to take into account who we could afford to hire at this point...even if we had a program that could lure a top coach here (and don't believe that firing a 3rd year coach who's been performing at program-average and dramatically out-recruiting his predecessors would make that easier), we don't have the money to pay them next year.

I disagree with this quote, Mason was a terrible recruiter but his teams were well coached, well prepared, and they improved throughout the season. He tended to get the most out of the players he had. That is not the case with Brewster. I don't know how Brewster will turn out but as of now he does not compare to Mason as a coach.

Example: Cupito was marginal the first year he was a starter, not nearly as good as Weber was. After three years Cupito was a very proficient starter, Weber's output has regressed.

I guess we were watching different teams during the Mason years. I thought Gordy Shaw did a nice job with the O-line, but other than that, only Mitch Browning would be what I would call anywhere near successful with the Gopher program. I never thought Mason's teams were well prepared at all. If the running game didn't work, we were totally sunk. And the defense was consistently terrible.

And as for that running game, to me, it was the ground version of the spread (not in how it lined up obviously), but that it was based on line techniques that the opposition rarely faced. When playing against comparable teams it worked very well, but as good as Mason's O-lines were against smaller defenses, stronger athletic defenses usually tore it up. And there was never any sophisticated passing game to take pressure off the run. If Mason's teams were truly prepared, they would have been more than a one-trick pony on offense and given the upper echelon teams in the Big 10 more to think about on an annual basis.

Further, Mason had fallen into the "every three/four years" cycle in that he would install guys and play them every snap for three straight years (at least on offense) and by their senior years, a team would be in place that might have a chance to finish in the top half of the Big 10.

Lastly, and I think this is truly what got Mason fired, is that he had lost the support of nearly every high school coach and athletic director in the state.

In brief, Mason was a decent football guy who I think was lazy and arrogant and the jury had enough time to deliver a sensible verdict on him. The verdict may be the same on Brewster, but I believe he'll get one more year to make what might be his closing argument.

How did the Mason passing game put up more yardage

I guess we were watching different teams during the Mason years. I thought Gordy Shaw did a nice job with the O-line, but other than that, only Mitch Browning would be what I would call anywhere near successful with the Gopher program. I never thought Mason's teams were well prepared at all. If the running game didn't work, we were totally sunk. And the defense was consistently terrible.

And as for that running game, to me, it was the ground version of the spread (not in how it lined up obviously), but that it was based on line techniques that the opposition rarely faced. When playing against comparable teams it worked very well, but as good as Mason's O-lines were against smaller defenses, stronger athletic defenses usually tore it up. And there was never any sophisticated passing game to take pressure off the run. If Mason's teams were truly prepared, they would have been more than a one-trick pony on offense and given the upper echelon teams in the Big 10 more to think about on an annual basis.

or at similar passing yardage relative to these Brewster teams, if the passing game was so bad????

The Mason teams usually often approached 6000 or more yards in offense. Our glorious Brewster offense has 3300 yards through 11 games. Add another 140 next week.

Before you comment again on those awful defenses of the past, check out where the 2009 falls team in the Big Ten season D rankings. It isn't pretty, although the offense is more objectionable.

These Brewster football teams are almost unwatchable.

I guess I'm just tired of the revisionism being applied to the Mason years by some. He had his run and he had hit his peak. He wasn't a very good coach. If he were, he'd be doing something except sitting next to Gary DiNardo at the Big 10 Network.

Where does it say I'm happy with what's happened this season?

and why does this piece of information matter to anyone here?! ;)

I think lakesgopher was right on for the most part. I still support Brewster. I do think the play calling at goal line lost us the Wisconsin and Illinois games. Also the off. coord. even admitted he got greedy for the big paly against Ill. How much better would we all feel if we had won those two games. So I think the inability to call plays that match the ability of the all the offense and not just Weber has been a big handicap for 2009. But I am not calling for a new O.C. as I feel he and the players can learn his system and he can learn the best qualities of his own players if they stay the course. One of the reasons Iowa is so good year after year is the consistent program. The players know THEIR system frontwards and backwards and can make adjustments throughout the game, so they win by a few points instead of lose by a few.

You see, if we actually hired a good coach who knew what was going on, people would actually realize it does not take that long to rebuild or even use the "rebuild" term. That is an excuse poor football programs use to sleep at night. Oh...yea we are going to be bad for three or four or five years but than things will start picking up. Um......yea. First case in point: Wisconsin didn't miss a beat hiring Bielema. Look at Harbaugh in Stanford. Didn't have the best record his first two years but he has now beat USC 2 of the 3 years he has been there and thoroughly destroyed Oregon and USC in back to back games. Man I'm jealous of Stanford.

Edit - Didn't mean to call you out meant "rebuilding" as a whole.:p

the difference in bielema was the fact he didnt have bare cupboards when he walked in the door! that is a stupid comparison! i will give it to harbaugh he is getting it done, but before you compare wisky to minny, you need to look at the overall team being inherited! mason had barely any big ten athletes when he left bielema was ranked coming into his coaching term!

im guessing guys like gray and alipate, keanon cooper, edwards, etc etc etc would love to start from scratch and get beaten on for another 2-3 years and keep having average seasons instead of doing something like, sitting out a year and tranfer to another major conference school where playing time and established recruiting would be already in place! im guessing every player brew recruited would stay in minny, because in coaching transitions players never leave!!! this would keep happening every 3-4 years, it would be very difficult to bounce back from firing a coach every 3 years due to lack of championships or at least averaging 8+ win seasons. so yes it could handicap a program for many years because few coaches would want to be put through that torture...prime example, oakland raiders...what coach in his right mind would want that job...if we get into a habit of cutting coaches every so many years we would become the oakland raiders

the difference in bielema was the fact he didnt have bare cupboards when he walked in the door! that is a stupid comparison! i will give it to harbaugh he is getting it done, but before you compare wisky to minny, you need to look at the overall team being inherited! mason had barely any big ten athletes when he left bielema was ranked coming into his coaching term!

That is not what Brewster said, he said he had good talent when he took over here and was fortunate it was not a rebuilding job. However, lets assume he lied then, if the talent is so poor than why is it that more of his star recruits cannot unseat this poor talent for more playing time. After all, he isn't in a position where he has the luxury to sit his best players to wait for next year.

im guessing guys like gray and alipate, keanon cooper, edwards, etc etc etc would love to start from scratch and get beaten on for another 2-3 years and keep having average seasons instead of doing something like, sitting out a year and tranfer to another major conference school where playing time and established recruiting would be already in place! im guessing every player brew recruited would stay in minny, because in coaching transitions players never leave!!! this would keep happening every 3-4 years, it would be very difficult to bounce back from firing a coach every 3 years due to lack of championships or at least averaging 8+ win seasons. so yes it could handicap a program for many years because few coaches would want to be put through that torture...prime example, oakland raiders...what coach in his right mind would want that job...if we get into a habit of cutting coaches every so many years we would become the oakland raiders

The Raiders are the most dysfunctional team in all of professional sports ... tough to make the comparison with the "U" ... many examples of coaches in the last few years who have not hit rock-bottom in year No. 1 (Pelini, Snyder again at KSU this year, Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, Paul Rhoads, Brian Kelly, Mark Dantonio, Dan Mullen this year to a degree in the toughest conference, Dennis Erickson (bad since, but awesome in year No. 1) ... )

Top Bottom