If we could get a player back from last year's roster...

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
All the players leaving was a complete disaster. ...until I met this year's team. Just pondering the current roster and wondering which former gopher actually helps the current group of mature, high basketball IQ overachievers. Who adds to the current team? No disrespect intended to the former gophers.

Marcus Carr & Brandon Johnson? Maybe Freeman or Ihnen for big man depth (Liam Robbins is out with an injury either way)

Seems to me that we only lost a couple of players that could help.

I liked Mashburn’s potential, though he may not have fit as well with the control the tempo style of play we are playing this year.

And a guy like Brandon Johnson would always have a spot on a roster of any team I coach.

Go Gophers!!

I liked Mashburn’s potential, though he may not have fit as well with the control the tempo style of play we are playing this year.

And a guy like Brandon Johnson would always have a spot on a roster of any team I coach.

Go Gophers!!

Hard pass on Mashburn. Based on a bit of perusing of New Mexico boards, a number of their fans aren't too thrilled with him either. Little defense and selfish offense is what I've read; no surprise there. An even harder pass on Tre' Williams; I'm glad I don't have to watch him any longer.

My first choice would be Robbins although since he isn't playing at Vanderbilt my guess is that he wouldn't have helped us much, if at all, this year either. I would go with your choice of Johnson in that case. I don't count Ihnen because he is a member of this year's team. I certainly hope he makes a full recovery and plays lots of minutes next season.

Robbins if healthy. The dude played hard was a team player. Robbins had a nice skill set. Robbins was under utilized mainly because Carr was terrible and selfish in the pick and roll….

Johnson or Robbins. I also think Tre Williams would respond well to CBJ's ball movement offense.

Brandon Johnson for sure. Seems like a guy who culturally would be a perfect fit, and would allow us to have a true 4 in the game at times and let battle slide to the 3 or get a bit more of a rest.

Sad that he didn't stay, gonna be cheering for him and DePaul this year (also because DePaul fans, if they exist, deserve a good season)

Robbins if we could get 12 regular season games out of him. Otherwise I would take a full season of Brandon Johnson.

Johnson or Robbins. I also think Tre Williams would respond well to CBJ's ball movement offense.
Williams athleticism would be nice, I'm afraid his shooting would not be up to snuff though.

Since Liam is hurt, Johnson

after that probably Gabe

can't really think of anyone else to be honest

Williams athleticism would be nice, I'm afraid his shooting would not be up to snuff though.
Yikes, he is shooting 7.7% from 3PT (1-13) and 44% (7/16) from FT at Oregon State. You just can't see the floor as a guard if you play like that.

Gotta be Liam or Brandon Johnson for me.

Robbins first as we need a big for defense and rebounding. He can also shoot well on the perimeter. Johnson second as he is a tough player that would fit in well with this group. I liked Mashburn but don’t think we need him with the present group. I wished Freeman would have stayed. I do not miss the rest of the brick layers.

Robbins was soft and other than blocking a shot here or there, was often out of position on defense. In addition, he turned the ball over way too much. Maybe this staff would get more out of him, so would take him.

Other than him, Brandon Johnson the only player from last years team I would take. I think he would have excelled on both ends of the floor with how this staff is playing.

Gabe would be great defensively, but don't think he should start ahead of any of our players right now. They each are as strong on defense, and all shoot better than him. Would be a nice player in a rotation though to add some depth. All said, don't think he would have been happy with his role here so likely wouldn't work.

My response to that is to cite Charles Barkley's old quote when describing a particular NBA player:

"That boy can run and jump like a deer but I would never put a deer in a basketball game."

Another old quote from an NBA player about a different player also comes to mind: "He's like a headless horseman out there."

Would anyone want Brian Greenlee back?

As a guard off the bench, yes. I think he might have fit well in this system except he's a lousy free throw shooter this season.

Agree with those that have said a healthy Robbins would be option 1 and Johnson would be option 2. This would be a pretty dangerous team with a little more size underneath.

On a side note, I'd be curious what this team would be like if Chet Holmgren had decide to play here.

ihnen. the one who chose to stay
It is looking more like the smart basketball decision would have been to take some time to understand the new coach and the new program before jumping. There should have been at least a couple of players that spent some time trying to understand the situation and stayed (besides Ihnen and Curry).

The fact that Pitino collected a bunch of guys that jumped ship immediately upon him being fired says something either positive and negative about Pitino as a Coach. ...but mostly negative I think.

Gabe. Gabe, Willis and Loewe would be a defensive nightmare for anyone's guards, plus that would make EJ the super sub and then with Sutherlin we would be able to give Battle and Loewe each a few extra minutes of rest, keep there minutes in the 32-34 minute range instead of the 38-40 range.

I like Gabe but offensively he is broke. I think his shooting numbers are slightly worse than last year… love his D you are correct.. I guess I could live with Gabe

My response to that is to cite Charles Barkley's old quote when describing a particular NBA player:

"That boy can run and jump like a deer but I would never put a deer in a basketball game."

Another old quote from an NBA player about a different player also comes to mind: "He's like a headless horseman out there."
That's hilarious. I can just picture him saying it.

I like Gabe but offensively he is broke. I think his shooting numbers are slightly worse than last year… love his D you are correct.. I guess I could live with Gabe
His 3's and 2's are down. Yet he jacks up 3's more than anyone on that squad. He and Tyrese Hunter love to put them up with little success. That being said, he does play good defense.

Why waste time discussing what isn’t to be? Let’s all move on.

Top Bottom