If we can land a top coach we should do it

GopherFish

Reaction score
I am softening my fire Brewster stance somewhat in that we should fire Brewster only if we can get a top coach to replace him with. If we could get Tony Dungy, Mike Leach, Jon Gruden or the Boise State Coach Chris Peterson or someone of their caliber replacing Brewster is a no-brainer. If not, I don't have a problem with Brewster getting another year if all we would get now is a slight upgrade.

On the other hand, I'd like to see Maturi leave now. He's made multiple bad moves and I don't think he's incentivized to replace Brewster, his handpicked coach now, even if a top coach might be available, especially after he just indicated to the press that he would extend Brewster.

Mike Leach and the Boise State guy are both down grades from Brewster and Dungy and Gruden ain't coming.

you think Dungy or Gruden are coming here? That is comic relief!

Mike Leachs Offense would never work here in MN. We would have to consistently land top-tier speed guys which is just historically impossible to do in MN. And the Boise State coach would be another risky pick as the last few Boise coaches havent had much success outside of the Blue turf.
Now, if they could go against the grain and get their offenses to work in the land of the cold air hats off to them but I just don't see it happening. Plus, I doubt we have enough money to lure either to come to this frozen tundra.

Mike Leach and the Boise State guy are both down grades from Brewster

misssouthcarolinajm6.jpg

Chris Peterson isn't leaving Boise. He gets to play in an easy conference and gets to participate in BCS games, plus his recruiting is picking up. Also, he signed a six-year extension like a week ago.

Mike Leachs Offense would never work here in MN. We would have to consistently land top-tier speed guys which is just historically impossible to do in MN. And the Boise State coach would be another risky pick as the last few Boise coaches havent had much success outside of the Blue turf.
Now, if they could go against the grain and get their offenses to work in the land of the cold air hats off to them but I just don't see it happening. Plus, I doubt we have enough money to lure either to come to this frozen tundra.

From 2002-2009, the Texas Tech recruiting classes averaged a ranking of 39 so it isn't as if he recruited out of this world. He just did a great job of developing his players and making them fit his system. I think wherever Mike Leach ends up there will be plenty of QB's and speedy receiver wanting to play for him because in his system they can put up huge numbers.

So you all would like to hire a child abuser as your new coach? Mike Leach is not getting a job anytime soon. Schools are going to stay far away from him until this dies down a long while from here. Texas Tech is the only school that is willing to hire child abusers like Leach and Bobby Knight.

Bankonit has just confirmed that he is more unhinged

Mike Leach and the Boise State guy are both down grades from Brewster and Dungy and Gruden ain't coming.

than Wren (the winona renagade rambler) ever was. These guys are backing our thin skinned blowhard and the Kill Shot like Stockholm Syndrome case studies.

Bankonit and about five other posters will enter Bagdahd Bob terretory in their defenses of the inept and overmatched Tim Brewster, regardless of the result on the field. (example of overmatched, The former St. Olaf head coach, Chris Meidt, who was just fired with the Washington Redskins/ Zorn staff is one of thousands who could outcoach our not so brilliant braintrust)

Without question, the die hards on here are almost identlcal to the confused Wren when he was defending Monson until the bitter end.

The predictions made in early 2007 by many on this board made for Brewster's regime in years 3 and 4 sure are different from what is being stated now.

The revisionism continues. Again, he could recruit USC talent, yet the team still will not finish 3rd in the conference with this coaching, yet recruiting(that hasn't been all that great) is all that matters.

As far as Ruesse's advice to just "shut up and coach", it sort of worked, he shut up for a while, then proved again he cannot coach at all.

I wouldn't fire Brewster to hire Leach, but you could run that offense here. Joe Tiller ran a similar offense at Purdue.

Why not Mangini and Leech and have 2 guys verbally abusing and locking kids in closets?

So you all would like to hire a child abuser as your new coach? Mike Leach is not getting a job anytime soon. Schools are going to stay far away from him until this dies down a long while from here. Texas Tech is the only school that is willing to hire child abusers like Leach and Bobby Knight.

Please define anytime soon. If you mean before next season, probably true because most AD's don't fire coaches this late. If you mean a year from now, I would bet that he is named a head coach within a year from today.

i think we should fire brew and hire mack brown or nick saban. i hear those guys are pretty good coaches! or since we have all this money to hire coaches i hear that guy coaching the new england patriots is pretty good. with all these top notch coaches available we might as well just fire brew now so we can land someone like that!

Bankonit, if you spend some time with Saban and Bo

Why not Mangini and Leech and have 2 guys verbally abusing and locking kids in closets?

Bo Pellini (or Bo, Woody, or Bear Bryant in the past) you would know anything Leach did was small potatoes compared to those hard asses.

Are you still contending they engaged a lock to keep the spoiled punk Adam James a prisoner in the building? That was all ESPN BS propaganda in first place. Adam James was a spolied punk with a corrupt, rotten power hungry father, who probably took all sorts of cash at SMU in the 80's. Why wasn't ESPN reporting on all of Craig James' meddling in early stages of this story? ESPN sucks; for good measure they should have asked James about the amout of cash sent his way by SMU boosters.

Get off your high horse, you are naive and ill informed to the realities of playing for some coaches.

Atleast 2 years before leach is hired anywhere, Schools don't want the negative publicity that will be associated with him. Would some school hire Tiger Woods right now as their golf coach?

Woody Hayes bull crap would not be tolerated at any school today. It was a different time back then and stuff did not get out in public like it does now.

Many people think Leach would be a good coach here, and it seems that most feel he would be an upgrade over Brewster. I disagree. He has a great system, but he is also able to recruit Texas from Texas. His recruiting here would likely drop significantly, and he would not bring in the weapons necessary to make his offense successful. I could be wrong, but that is my knee-jerk reaction to Leach.

The predictions made in early 2007 by many on this board made for Brewster's regime in years 3 and 4 sure are different from what is being stated now.

The revisionism continues. Again, he could recruit USC talent, yet the team still will not finish 3rd in the conference with this coaching, yet recruiting(that hasn't been all that great) is all that matters.

I will admit that my early 2007 predictions have not come to fruition. However, after watching our first year, I downgraded my expectations in the first four years significantly. I will not judge Brewster negatively until he is given five years, and I may even want a sixth year depending upon circumstances. There is no way Brewster's seat should be this hot so soon after being bowl eligible in two consecutive seasons. We are at Mason levels, give Brewster time to go beyond that. And yes, there have been problems under Brewster. The two regimes have two incredibly different philosophies, and it makes comparison very difficult without resorting to the wins and losses. Given our increased schedule strength, those are nearly identical. Keep in mind, we played the top teams in the B10 this year, missing two of the bottom three B10 teams. The next two years will still have brutal non-conference opponents. 2012 would be the best year to compare Brewster and Mason's achievements, or lack thereof.

Atleast 2 years before leach is hired anywhere, Schools don't want the negative publicity that will be associated with him. Would some school hire Tiger Woods right now as their golf coach?

Probably, he has more star power and his shortcomings are personal, not professional.

Stop the revisionism; we are not equal to the Mason

[

I will admit that my early 2007 predictions have not come to fruition. However, after watching our first year, I downgraded my expectations in the first four years significantly. I will not judge Brewster negatively until he is given five years, and I may even want a sixth year depending upon circumstances. There is no way Brewster's seat should be this hot so soon after being bowl eligible in two consecutive seasons. We are at Mason levels, give Brewster time to go beyond that. And yes, there have been problems under Brewster. The two regimes have two incredibly different philosophies, and it makes comparison very difficult without resorting to the wins and losses. Given our increased schedule strength, those are nearly identical. Keep in mind, we played the top teams in the B10 this year, missing two of the bottom three B10 teams. The next two years will still have brutal non-conference opponents. 2012 would be the best year to compare Brewster and Mason's achievements, or lack thereof.[/QUOTE]

The Mason teams beat, or at least had a big lead on highly regarded teams on a regular basis. His teams almost always destroyed inferior non Big Ten and most inferior Big Ten teams. Brewster's team are painful to watch against any team.

Brewster has yet to produce a big win agains against any good or great team, and although Mason sucked against Iowa and Wisconsin, Brewster has been worse.

A Mason team could have possibly lost to team like Iowa State, but 35-14 would have been more likely, with 350 yards rushing and 200 yards passing.

Stop the revisionism, things are not equal between the two regimes at all, unless you want to play recuiting star rating games, rather than results on the field.

[

I will admit that my early 2007 predictions have not come to fruition. However, after watching our first year, I downgraded my expectations in the first four years significantly. I will not judge Brewster negatively until he is given five years, and I may even want a sixth year depending upon circumstances. There is no way Brewster's seat should be this hot so soon after being bowl eligible in two consecutive seasons. We are at Mason levels, give Brewster time to go beyond that. And yes, there have been problems under Brewster. The two regimes have two incredibly different philosophies, and it makes comparison very difficult without resorting to the wins and losses. Given our increased schedule strength, those are nearly identical. Keep in mind, we played the top teams in the B10 this year, missing two of the bottom three B10 teams. The next two years will still have brutal non-conference opponents. 2012 would be the best year to compare Brewster and Mason's achievements, or lack thereof.

The Mason teams beat, or at least had a big lead on highly regarded teams on a regular basis. His teams almost always destroyed inferior non Big Ten and most inferior Big Ten teams. Brewster's team are painful to watch against any team.

Brewster has yet to produce a big win agains against any good or great team, and although Mason sucked against Iowa and Wisconsin, Brewster has been worse.

A Mason team could have possibly lost to team like Iowa State, but 35-14 would have been more likely, with 350 yards rushing and 200 yards passing.

Stop the revisionism, things are not equal between the two regimes at all, unless you want to play recuiting star rating games, rather than results on the field.[/QUOTE]

ya mason was awesome-i loved watching his teams rush for 500 yards and lose! how the hell do you have multple guys rush for as many yards in the same games an lose. mason was awesome i miss him

Stop the revisionism, things are not equal between the two regimes at all, unless you want to play recuiting star rating games, rather than results on the field.

A lot of Mason's signature wins came against teams that ended up being unranked, similar to our win against Illinois in '08. Brewster's teams have been competitive in many of the games against Iowa and Wisconsin, '08 Iowa being a significant counterexample. I have been especially pleased with how we have played against Iowa and Wisconsin on the road. Those almost always ended in blowout losses with Mason. The on-field results, in terms of wins and losses have been comparable. You can argue the margin of victory has not been there with Brewster, but I would attribute that more to strength of schedule and the improvement of non-BCS teams.

As for recruiting, it is unfair to take Brewster's strength, recruiting, and making judgments before the majority are upperclassmen in the program.

I am not labeling Brewster as successful, but I cannot reach the conclusion he is a failure at this point in time. Two years from now with similar results and I'll be with you.

[

Stop the revisionism, things are not equal between the two regimes at all, unless you want to play recuiting star rating games, rather than results on the field.[/QUOTE]

Yes, please stop with the revisionist history.

I am softening my fire Brewster stance somewhat in that we should fire Brewster only if we can get a top coach to replace him with. If we could get Tony Dungy, Mike Leach, Jon Gruden or the Boise State Coach Chris Peterson or someone of their caliber replacing Brewster is a no-brainer. If not, I don't have a problem with Brewster getting another year if all we would get now is a slight upgrade.

On the other hand, I'd like to see Maturi leave now. He's made multiple bad moves and I don't think he's incentivized to replace Brewster, his handpicked coach now, even if a top coach might be available, especially after he just indicated to the press that he would extend Brewster.

I brought up a similar opinion as yours and was lambasted for even suggesting that the U go after a top notch head coach if Brew doesn't work out. I believe Brew needs more time, a year or two, depending on how they do next season. It was pointed out to me that we don't have the prestige or the money to get one. Whether we have those things or not if Brew doesn't work out that is what has to happen to turn this program from mediocrity to contending for a Big Ten championship from time to time.

Top Bottom