If we are playing for the future, why is Samuels starting? Minutes going forward

Samuels was -13 in 15 minutes of play despite not turning the ball over once. Even though he played the "smartest", his presence had the largest negative impact on the scoreboard. He should not be starting or playing more than 6 - 8 minutes per game.
Meanwhile, Carrington was +7 in 18.5 minutes, while only scoring 3 points.

It doesn't matter what we're playing for, Samuels should have never been given a scholarship in the first place, let alone be playing and starting for a B1G team.

Garcia and Battle are both very weak (strength-wise), they don’t even look to drive to the bucket?!?!? Both are never near Offensive Rebs. They shoot bad 3’s way too early in the shot clock (selfish). Decent kids and players but, they need to hit the weights very hard this summer!! Get to the bucket and shoot FT’s!!

Garcia and Battle are both very weak (strength-wise), they don’t even look to drive to the bucket?!?!? Both are never near Offensive Rebs. They shoot bad 3’s way too early in the shot clock (selfish). Decent kids and players but, they need to hit the weights very hard this summer!! Get to the bucket and shoot FT’s!!
What you are saying is that Ben has recruited a bunch of players who are not bt starters. This should go well.

In short, yep. They are not legit BT Starters currently…... just aren’t. If they hit the weights this summer, start playing some real team BB, box-out, throw a skip pass vs. shoot a bad 3, etc., then they are BT starters…...

It doesn't matter what we're playing for, Samuels should have never been given a scholarship in the first place, let alone be playing and starting for a B1G team.
Would you have preferred that Ben just didn’t use the scholarship? We needed an experienced guard and that is what Samuels is. He started 23 games for Dartmouth last year. He is only here for one year so what’s the beef. He certainly was not the reason we lost to Wisconsin.

Would you have preferred that Ben just didn’t use the scholarship? We needed an experienced guard and that is what Samuels is. He started 23 games for Dartmouth last year. He is only here for one year so what’s the beef. He certainly was not the reason we lost to Wisconsin.

I'd rather Ben be able to recruit players who belong and can contribute at this level. Dartmouth was a terrible team and Samuels was their 3rd or 4th best player. He's statistically one of our worst players and him playing is an indictment on how bad this team is.

You're right, Samuels is not a legit Big Ten level player, but I will say that he at least has brought some level of stability to a lineup that needed it badly early in the season. I think you'll see he plays less as the season progresses. As to your wish that Ben should be able to recruit players who belong and can contribute at this level? I think the last two years of recruiting (especially in view of the team's lack of success the last 2 years) shows most people that the guy can recruit. There will be a young core here that will have success, but it will never come fast enough for many people.

IIRC, Samuels was brought in after failing to land guys like Honor (Mizzo), Spencer (Rutgers), etc last Spring. Not sure he was included in the first wave of visits so likely not in the top of Ben's list of hopefuls.

He did score like 21 and play well against Stanford last season.

He just needs some confidence to give this team decent minutes. He always seems like he is trying to get the ball out of his hands as soon as possible.

I still standby my feeling that he shouldn't start. Clutch shot at the end of regulation obviously.
I feel strongly that we may not have needed a clutch shot if Henley had finished the game. Henley has played incredibly well in the past two games. Right now, he is the only guard on the team who can create separation off the dribble and get into the lane.

Henley brought so much energy during his minutes in the second half, and everything was going right for the Gophers. His decision-making was flawless. I can't fathom why you don't ride the momentum there.

As soon as he came out, the offense sputtered until that last chaotic possession where Samuels hit a tough, contested three-point shot (props).

Don't overthink it, CBJ. If you're going to keep going back to Battle, who unnecessarily forces shots outside the framework of the offense (I assume?), you have to let guys play who are doing everything right!

Well duhhh.

Coach Johnson has a grand total of ONE recruiting class on the team. As freshmen.

I've been overly nice. But the next time I see someone criticize Coach Johnson for roster construction...I'm going to call them something...
He constructed the roster.

Not according to Jay.
who constructed it? The same anti-athletic department forces that got Dade County Florida to set up Trevor Mbakwe for rape? They’re so sneaky, I hate that they always sabotage us.

I still standby my feeling that he shouldn't start. Clutch shot at the end of regulation obviously.
I was just taking a cheap shot.

I understand your point about him not starting and wouldn’t surprise me if Henley gets back in there sooner vs. later

Really nice game for Samuels today. Gotta tip my hat to him, he has minimal ability but he makes the most of what he has, takes care of the ball and plays team ball.
I'd like to see the stay the way it is with Henley coming off the bench. Samuels isn't anything great but he provides a steadying presence to start the game, which allows Henley to observe the flow and pick up what the other team is doing on both ends of the floor. Then he can come in and be a plus player on both ends of the floor like he was today.
The part where I would have liked to see him would have been in the last 5 minutes of the game and or in overtime. He was playing well and more importantly the team was playing well while he was in the game.

Top Bottom