If the current guys stay....

You could throw all of the different looks in the history of basketball out there, find every mismatch, accentuate his strengths, and be coached by John Wooden, and TT would not be a Big Ten caliber basketball player. You can criticize Johnson for some other decisions, but this one seems like a pretty big stretch.
I am results based. The results indicate things could have been done better. There is one part luck to winning (injuries, lucky bounces, etc), but most of it is knowing how to put things together in a manner in which most people do not comprehend. You can put a good player with 10 different coaches who have a variety of styles and have outcomes of that player being incredible to not being playable. I don't think that, I know it.

I am not making any specific claims in regard to TT's ability. I am saying there is a range of outcomes and clearly this environment did not bring out the best in him.

The alternative to that view is that coaches have no impact and every coach is being paid 20x vs what they should be paid.

I am not big on disparaging college players on this board. They are someone's son, brother, cousin friend and they are still trying to figure things out. In a really good culture, everyone adds value in some, way, shape or form. When people do not feel valued or are underserved, they leave.

Last edited:

Mid level?

You’re comparing an HC who just completed his second season to Tom Izzo and Sparty? Andy Enfield started at SC around the same time Pitino at MN and has had time to build a program and I wonder what they were like bon the early years of his tenure?

To my knowledge, none of us are vaned Ray and Stevie and we can “see” we have a long way to go.

Would be interesting to know how many of them had more games played in than our core (Garcia, Payne, JOJ and Carrington)
I was referring to their seeds being mid level. A 7 and 10 seed. Obviously, Izzo is a HOF and Enfield is very good...but their current teams are middle of the pack based on their seeding.

I am results based. The results indicate things could have been done better. There is one part luck to winning (injuries, lucky bounces, etc), but most of it is knowing how to put things together in a manner in which most people do not comprehend. You can put a good player with 10 different coaches who have a variety of styles and have outcomes of that player being incredible to not being playable. I don't think that, I know it.

I am not making any specific claims in regard to TT's ability. I am saying there is a range of outcomes and clearly this environment did not bring out the best in him.

The alternative to that view is that coaches have no impact and every coach is being paid 20x vs what they should be paid.

I am not big on disparaging college players on this board. They are someone's son, brother, cousin friend and they are still trying to figure things out. In a really good culture, everyone adds value in some, way, shape or form. When people do not feel valued or are underserved, they leave.
After reading this, I must be one of those who do not comprehend. And I'll pull out of this thread.

Top Bottom