If the current guys stay....

bga1

Reaction score
I need a little optimism today. I have been a big Henley guy...but he's gone. Not counting Battle and Cooper, we still have some nice pieces!

Payne (becomes a star)
Garcia/Fox (Garcia -already an upper tier forward)
JOJ/Ihnen (JOJ is getting better fast- has ability)
Carrington/Betts (Both can shoot it?)
Christie (has the genes and reputed to be a really good shooter)

With the right additions...a really good PG and a good shooter (like the Army kid for example)
and with good health - that could be a pretty decent squad! Maybe there is a slot for TT to muscle up and back up Payne?

Ben NEEDs to have a succesful spring recruiting cycle and next year we need to be at the very least on bubble
The first thing can happen...to a point. The second one: ain't happening.

The first thing can happen...to a point. The second one: ain't happening.
If the freshman stay develop and right mix brought in, I think it can happen

18-20 wins puts you on the bubble depending on various things

This post is aging about as fast as the "At least we have Dennis Evans" post from a few weeks ago.
TT wasn't exactly the cornerstone. I put him in as an after thought. Ben basically ran him off so obviously he believes he can do better with Fox and Ihnen and other pieces from the portal.

Did Ben run him off? Obviously Ben didn't think TT could compete in the Big Ten, hence his very abbreviated playing time.

Did Ben run him off? Obviously Ben didn't think TT could compete in the Big Ten, hence his very abbreviated playing time.
It was an obvious run off. Look no further than the Wisconsin game where we were running out of fouls to deal with Wahl and Crowl. TT never touched the floor. He didn't even get the courtesy 1 minute in the Big Ten blow out against MD.

Losing Henley is a loss - but if he didn't want to be here, the worst thing you can have on a losing team is disgruntled players souring the locker room.

I'm sure Kool-Aid has convinced Henley that he will be a star at some other program and haul in a lot of NIL - and some of that NIL will find its way into Kool-Aid's pocket.

as far as the Gophers - PG, PG, PG, PG, PG.

If Johnson can land a legitimate PG, and probably a backup PG or combo guard, the Gophers at least have a chance to be more competitive.

Ridiculous post. Nobody has left that wasn't rumored or expected.
We expected Henly to leave? We expected Thompson to leave? Or was it that once we cant win a game we then start sayin we are expecting people to leave? I guess we give ourselves the excuse that becuase we expected them to leave that its not a big deal. We expected Dennis to de commit?

I need a little optimism today. I have been a big Henley guy...but he's gone. Not counting Battle and Cooper, we still have some nice pieces!

Payne (becomes a star)

With the right additions...a really good PG and a good shooter (like the Army kid for example)
and with good health - that could be a pretty decent squad! Maybe there is a slot for TT to muscle up and back up Payne?
What makes you think Payne becomes a star?

He is only effective in the post and is what 6’9”? That’s not big enough to be effective in the post in the NBA. He doesn’t have handles and his range is very short. His ceiling id more Mbawkwe than Oturu. And he doesn’t hit the offensive glass near as well Mbaw did.

I’m not saying he can’t be a first team B1G player, but he ain’t going too far unless he develops some catch and shoot with real range.

We expected Henly to leave? We expected Thompson to leave? Or was it that once we cant win a game we then start sayin we are expecting people to leave? I guess we give ourselves the excuse that becuase we expected them to leave that its not a big deal. We expected Dennis to de commit?

Get serious. What are you reading?

Thompson hardly played at all this year. His Dad was on Twitter bitching all season. The writing has been on the wall since he didn't get off the bench.

As soon as Evans left, most people did the math and realized chances were high Henley would follow. Henley's AAU coach got pissed he got benched for 6-7 games when he was playing like shit mid-season and that was all she wrote. The fact he played major minutes the last 1/4 of the season didn't impact it. Marcus Fuller wrote something last week stating Henley was likely to transfer.

Neither of these were a surprise to anyone paying attention. Hilarious that you are making a big deal about Thompson of all people. So we should eat up a roster spot for next year with a player who the staff clearly doesn't trust?

He is only effective in the post and is what 6’9”? That’s not big enough to be effective in the post in the NBA. He doesn’t have handles and his range is very short. His ceiling id more Mbawkwe than Oturu. And he doesn’t hit the offensive glass near as well Mbaw did.

I’m not saying he can’t be a first team B1G player, but he ain’t going too far unless he develops some catch and shoot with real range.
Based on what we've seen, it's not too outlandish to practice optimism. He has great feet, great feel and instincts, and makes some plays that make you go wow. I've seen many, many players with less than him at this point add things to their game and progress to be all-conference.

Last edited:

Based on what we've seen, it's not too outlandish to practice optimism. He has great feet, great feel and instincts, and make some plays that make you go wow. I've seen many, many players with less than him at this point add things to their game and progress to be all-conference.
Like I said, he can be a first team all-B1G player, but he ain’t going in the first round without outside shooting.

Like I said, he can be a first team all-B1G player, but he ain’t going in the first round without outside shooting.
As a Gopher fan- I really only care about the former. For his sake I hope he makes a ton of money somewhere someday, but for now I'd like 3 more great years in maroon and gold from him.

Payne (becomes a star)

Henley leaving does not change what this team needs to be competitive: a starting PG and a backup post.

Wow!! Payne can only play the post? That's his position.

He's not big enough for an NBA post? Who cares? This is college basketball.

And anybody who makes first team All Big Ten is a star.

Everyone is leaving. The basketball program is being shut down. Men's Volleyball and Swimming are the future at UMN.

Henley leaving does not change what this team needs to be competitive: a starting PG and a backup post.
That's all I need. And this paddle-ball game; that's all I need. Except for my loyal dog, Shithead. That's all I need. Except for this chair...

Can't believe TT won't be headed to the portal to find some playing time. Likely at a D-II school somehwhere.

Ben better get used to mining the portal hard every year he's still here. Clock's ticking.

I think our best chance at improvement will come from the 2nd year leap that Payne, JOJ, and Carrington can make. And actually having a player who can dribble the ball up the floor and guard an opposing PG.

I liked Henley but he was a project and not a sure thing. I also liked Chip Armelin and Charles Buggs as athletic projects who showed promise, and they never really continued to grow.

I am actually looking forward to seeing what we have in the wild cards. There's potential here:

-Christie
-Betts
-Fox
-Ihnen

Top Bottom