If Brewster succeeds, would he stay?

hyaluronic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
All of the negativity surrounding the program right now has to be incredibly frustrating. I fear that if Brewster proves many of the nay-sayers wrong, his will to remain the head coach here is quickly fading.

The football world is changing. Brewster can recruit to any institution that has the size and the financial comittment to the program. you no longer need to be in a FBS conference to build something. I sure as hell wouldn't blame him if Maturi sits on an extension if he bolted after a good year, or made big demands that Joel couldn't meet. And I certainly could imagine him resurfacing in a non FBS school that can support a big program if he is let go. There is risk in waiting to offer the guy an extension.

All of the negativity surrounding the program right now has to be incredibly frustrating. I fear that if Brewster proves many of the nay-sayers wrong, his will to remain the head coach here is quickly fading.

good question, and to answer your question - no way he stays if he does well. i think he would of bolted had he been offered the tennesse job last year when he was doing well. if he wins or loses, i don't see tim brewster being at the university of minnesota long term.

I'm not sure I disagree at this point. I've seen a general lack of the admin coming to bat for Brewster. Regardless of how you might personally feel about Tim, you do what ever you can to help your own program. And I see the U as standing with their hands in their pockets and slowly backing away to find something big to hide behind as the fight breaks out. Who's got the football programs back. I'm not seeing it. That my friends is lack of support. Not the kind of managment that can lead to a big time program. If you don't support him fire him. If you're not ready to make a decision or fire him, support him. Don't ride the fence.

The football world is changing. Brewster can recruit to any institution that has the size and the financial comittment to the program. you no longer need to be in a FBS conference to build something. I sure as hell wouldn't blame him if Maturi sits on an extension if he bolted after a good year, or made big demands that Joel couldn't meet. And I certainly could imagine him resurfacing in a non FBS school that can support a big program if he is let go. There is risk in waiting to offer the guy an extension.

How does that risk compare to extending a financial agreement with a guy who might have been gone last Monday if the price tag wasn't already $800,000?
Discussing an extension and the potential problem of "big demands" for a recruiter who can't coach is some serious Kool-Aid.
He'd make a great recruiting coordinator somewhere. After all, he sold Maturi on coaching skills he doesn't possess. If you're going to tell the boss to "f-off" in front of the underlings, you probably should have more going for you than hoping the BCS standings keep you out of bowling in Detroit.

He'd be gone. He has little to hold him here other than the TCF and lots of young talent on board. This school still terribly sucks as a Football school and may never be destination, just a place to gain experience on the way to a Football school. We have nothing and that starts with the fan base (present company excepted) and negative media.

I'm not sure I disagree at this point. I've seen a general lack of the admin coming to bat for Brewster. Regardless of how you might personally feel about Tim, you do what ever you can to help your own program. And I see the U as standing with their hands in their pockets and slowly backing away to find something big to hide behind as the fight breaks out. Who's got the football programs back. I'm not seeing it. That my friends is lack of support. Not the kind of managment that can lead to a big time program. If you don't support him fire him. If you're not ready to make a decision or fire him, support him. Don't ride the fence.

I agree with you there Schnoodler and I think the administration should stand behind him and
give him everything he needs to help him win as many games as possible.

I think there are a LOT of people on the fence regarding Tim Brewster and I guess I would
consider myself one of those. Here is a simple question: Do you think Tim Brewster is a good
football coach???

My answer would be I STILL do not know and I am STILL on the fence if he can get the job
done here or not. I see some positive things like his recruiting and some defensive improvement
but I see some very negative things such as an offense going in the wrong direction, a team
that continues to make the same mistakes every week and a lack of direction on the offensive
side of the ball, certainly aided by changes in coordinators.

My point is I think the jury is still out on Tim Brewster with a lot of the fans as well as the
administration. But you are right -- the administration needs to back him up and give him
full support but what they do and say privately might be a completely
separate issue.

He has to have 5 yrs. Then its fish or cutbait.

I think ordinarily you have to give a coach 5 years, but there are certainly some
instances where I would fire after year 4. A big one would be lack of control over the
players and the program, another one would be a mass exodus of players which would
make his recruiting classes worthless but another one would be such a disastrous year
four that giving him a fifth year would just be a waste of time.

How does that risk compare to extending a financial agreement with a guy who might have been gone last Monday if the price tag wasn't already $800,000?
Discussing an extension and the potential problem of "big demands" for a recruiter who can't coach is some serious Kool-Aid.
He'd make a great recruiting coordinator somewhere. After all, he sold Maturi on coaching skills he doesn't possess. If you're going to tell the boss to "f-off" in front of the underlings, you probably should have more going for you than hoping the BCS standings keep you out of bowling in Detroit.

The more I think about it the less risk there is to extend him now. First off you rewrite the original contract so that you aren't talking about an extension anymore. He has two years left, rewrite the contract for three. The worst thing that happens is you have a minimal buyout, and a highly talented team. How much is that worth. The question really is if Brewster can coach top talent to a good result. As long as he's acquiring that top talent the program is actually closer to the promised land whether or not Brew is ultimately at the helm when it happens.

So too me the risk in extending him is minimal, the buyout if it needs to happen is worth the recruiting classes he assembles. How much is a great program worth? One important input is talent. how much is that worth. To me, it almost doesn't matter if Brewster can coach. His real contribution at this point is increasing the talent base of the team. He's only half way there. If a great coach is worth a couple mill a year, certainly great talent is worth a one time 800,000 dollar buyout.

Give this school one season like Illinois' 2007 season and the history will be dredged up. People will take notice. ESPN will take notice. Recruits will take notice.

One BCS quality year could change things mightily around here.

So I think that if Brewster was able to win here there would be no reason to go somewhere else.

He wants to be known as a program changer, not a Saban.

The more I think about it the less risk there is to extend him now. First off you rewrite the original contract so that you aren't talking about an extension anymore. He has two years left, rewrite the contract for three. The worst thing that happens is you have a minimal buyout, and a highly talented team. How much is that worth. The question really is if Brewster can coach top talent to a good result. As long as he's acquiring that top talent the program is actually closer to the promised land whether or not Brew is ultimately at the helm when it happens.

So too me the risk in extending him is minimal, the buyout if it needs to happen is worth the recruiting classes he assembles. How much is a great program worth? One important input is talent. how much is that worth. To me, it almost doesn't matter if Brewster can coach. His real contribution at this point is increasing the talent base of the team. He's only half way there. If a great coach is worth a couple mill a year, certainly great talent is worth a one time 800,000 dollar buyout.

He's proven he can't coach but if he's not going to be fired, he does need an extension. Easy fix, don't guarantee him. Negative incentives if you will. In other words, next year is only guaranteed if 4 conference wins, win a trinket game, score a TD against D-IAA team, etc. Brew hasn't shown he's worth a guaranteed extension.

Is Brewster a good FB coach?? I'm still on the fence about brew. I know he can sell a program great and recruit pretty darn well. I need more time to know the on the field side of the question. In 2 years I will know 100%

You can't win at this level if you can't coach. He won seven games last year and six this year. Over the top statements like '"he can't coach", say more about your ability to analyze a situation than the situation you're trying to analyze.

My gut feeling right now is Brewster IS a good football coach. However, he has had trouble attracting the type of coordinators he would like, which may have as much to do with a lack of administrative and community support (towards the head coach himself) as anything else.

Top Bottom