I'd just like to thank Phil Miller and "Doogie"

Rosemountian

Reaction score
While this has been as tough of season as any in gopher history. There have been two positives about this season.

Phil Miller's coverage of the team in the Strib is exponentially better than what we as fans had gotten previously. He actually follows the team. Mixes in positivity with realism. Has Good informational stuff.

Doogie having a more expanded role in his various positions is also a help to the program. It is nice to have at least a couple of guys in the media who actually follow the team closely and bring some knowledge about the college game in general.

While I don't always agree with anything and everything they say, I would just like to thank them for being infinitely better than many of their counterparts and predecessors in terms of covering Gopher Football.

(Applause).

These guys definitely don't get the appreciation they should. A big thanks to them along with MV over at FBT and the guys at The Daily Gopher.

+1 to everything Rosemountain and Tricks said!

Agreed 100%.

Although Doogie could become the most galvanizing force of hate on this board, I really appreciate him continuing posting here. There are not many places where you truly have the eyes and ears of a media member.

Oops...almost forgot GL and her new blog.

Between Phil, Doogie, MV, GL and TDG, we have never had this much variety of coverage in our lifetimes.

Now...if we can just get the right product on the team, I might never get any work done.

While this has been as tough of season as any in gopher history. There have been two positives about this season.

Phil Miller's coverage of the team in the Strib is exponentially better than what we as fans had gotten previously. He actually follows the team. Mixes in positivity with realism. Has Good informational stuff.

Doogie having a more expanded role in his various positions is also a help to the program. It is nice to have at least a couple of guys in the media who actually follow the team closely and bring some knowledge about the college game in general.

While I don't always agree with anything and everything they say, I would just like to thank them for being infinitely better than many of their counterparts and predecessors in terms of covering Gopher Football.

(Applause).

Yes, Doogie has been telling the truth for some time now and took a whole bunch of cheap shots and personal shots for doing so. Doogie called it a long time ago; he was spot on. thank you

Some of these D bags that post here owe Doogie an apology. I will not hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Those types will continue to get offended when anyone reminds them of their previous positions and thin skinned reactions to any dissent from company line.

Yes, Doogie has been telling the truth for some time now and took a whole bunch of cheap shots and personal shots for doing so. Doogie called it a long time ago; he was spot on. thank you

Some of these D bags that post here owe Doogie an apology. I will not hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Those types will continue to get offended when anyone reminds them of their previous positions and thin skinned reactions to any dissent from company line.

When you debate sports somebody is always going to be right and somebody is always going to be wrong. I was on the fence about Brewster until this season. I was in favor of giving Brewster this season at the beginning.
Doogie has been against Brewster for some time now. He was correct and I was wrong. I think the problem with some of the cheap shots is that people take disagreements about sports topics too serious.

While I may throw out the, "if you don't agree with me you are a moron" line, it is all hyperbole. I don't really think many people I call morons on sports message boards are morons. I am having debate on a message board and am using hyperbole. I don't take it personal when someone insults me, and hope they aren't too offended if I insult them.

I feel like way too many people are a little too serious and take things having to do with disagreements about sports a little too serious. It is sports, it is entertainment.

Doogie write about cricket more. Especially the IPL. 20 overs cricket is the future.

Kolkata Knight Riders 4 life.

Doogie write about cricket more. Especially the IPL. 20 overs cricket is the future.

Kolkata Knight Riders 4 life.

Sez the guy who carries the banner of the Delhi Daredevils hero :D

The problem I and many had with Doogie was not that he predicted that Brewster would not be a successful coach here. It was his articles with the constant negative slant and cheap shots at the program while claiming to be a huge fan that I found distasteful and somewhat dishonest. I respect anyone who said, "hey, I know you guys like Brewster, but my opinion is that he's a terrible coach and won't last," or whatever. And by the way, I have personally apologized to Doogie for crossing the line.

This is the best coverage I've seen in my lifetime, thanks to individuals using the power of the internet. And the Strib having a professional on the beat.

Doogie has written some good stuff and some stuff I don't agree with, but by and large I don't think he is treated unfairly here. He gets everything he writes linked here and gets lots of clicks off of it, so having people disagree is just the trade-off that comes with being close to your base.

Back to the OP. Big props to Doogie and Phil for their excellent coverage all year long. Fuller's blog has been more up-to-date as well.

Great coverage all year long. At least this is something we won't have to fix in regards to the Gopher football program.

(Applause).

Thanks... still capable of factual mistakes though... messed up Patterson's TCU buyout on 1500-ESPN last night... he doesn't have one... stupidly mixed him and Petersen up... dumb mistake.

I will just add in that I appreciate Doogie's accountability to what he writes. It is refreshing to see someone defend, elaborate or even retract positions.

I will just add in that I appreciate Doogie's accountability to what he writes. It is refreshing to see someone defend, elaborate or even retract positions.

For all the ills of the internet, this is a good example of where it can work very well and Doogie has used this forum to elaborate his thinking. I appreciate the give-and-take.

The doogie fan club. Excellent. My response on Doogie being right about Brewster is the old Phil Gramm line that "even a stopped watch in right twice a day", but that is okay. He was right. I appreciate the coverage although I discount any opinion expressed as having the depth of a grape skin.

It needs to be said: Doogie is obviously a good guy. He is a stand-up guy who is obviously very loyal. He is willing to debate and defend while many in his profession snipe and run. There were a lot of people who crossed the line and were absolutely brutal to him on this board and he took it in stride.

IMO, Doogie's work has continuously improved over the last few years. The thing I notice the most is that it seems like he is increasingly developing his own opinions and insights, and splitting-off from the boring, predictable "anti-Sid-only" cabal that exists in this town.

As far as who was "right about Brewster" and who was "wrong about Brewster": I reject the premise entirely. Such a debate ignores the intricacies of trying to maintain a competitive Big Ten football program. If someone wanted Mason fired right-up until 12/31/2006 and wanted Brewster fired as soon as 11/1/2008, would this person have been right about Tim Brewster? The answer is "who cares". Because they were totally wrong about how major college football works, and that is far more significant. The only thing we know for sure is that programs that play musical coaches in their quest for some magical standard always become the laughing-stock. Always.

The idea of being right or wrong about a lot of sports opinions is fallacious. Most of these opinions have a high degree of subjectivity.

Doogie is the best thing in this town when it comes to Gopher athletics. He's honest and doesn't pull punches. Conversely, I think that Sid and the Fargo Flash are kool-aid drinkers who do more harm than good to the program.

Top Bottom