I want to see Cole Kramer

I think those were 2 years ago. It was pretty bad last year if I remember correctly. If we need 2 yards and 95% of the time he can't get 2 yards, no I don't want him in there. I don't care if 1/20 times it goes for 15 yards.

In his college career, he's averaged 4.6 yards/carry (42 carries, 192 yards, 2TDs). Would that be possible if he has failed to gain a needed 2 yards 95% of the time? I guess what I'm saying is: I'm wondering if your memory is accurate.

That being said, they have gotten away from the wildcat, for whatever reason.

In his college career, he's averaged 4.6 yards/carry (42 carries, 192 yards, 2TDs). Would that be possible if he has failed to gain a needed 2 yards 95% of the time? I guess what I'm saying is: I'm wondering if your memory is accurate.

That being said, they have gotten away from the wildcat, for whatever reason.
I am probably exaggerating at 95% but Kramer was awful in the wildcat last year. It rarely worked.

I am probably exaggerating at 95% but Kramer was awful in the wildcat last year. It rarely worked.

Last year he had 6 carries for 27 yards, which is 4.5 yards per carry.

I'm not sure what it is you're remembering.

Last year he had 6 carries for 27 yards, which is 4.5 yards per carry.

I'm not sure what it is you're remembering.
Can you find the play by play breakdown? Ultimately the stat that matters is % 1st downs gained in the wildcat since that's what we were talking about.

Here you go, Word. Game-by-game.

2022 • JUNIOR SEASON: Played in eight games • completed 5-of-8 passes for 41 yards • rushed six times for 27 yards.
Game-by-Game: Completed three passes for 14 yards and rushed one time for five yards against New Mexico State • completed one pass for 18 yards and rushed one time for five yards against Western Illinois • completed lone attempt against Colorado for nine yards • rushed two times for 16 yards at Michigan State • competed against Purdue • saw action at Penn State • played against Northwestern and Iowa.

Here you go, Word. Game-by-game.

2022 • JUNIOR SEASON: Played in eight games • completed 5-of-8 passes for 41 yards • rushed six times for 27 yards.
Game-by-Game: Completed three passes for 14 yards and rushed one time for five yards against New Mexico State • completed one pass for 18 yards and rushed one time for five yards against Western Illinois • completed lone attempt against Colorado for nine yards • rushed two times for 16 yards at Michigan State • competed against Purdue • saw action at Penn State • played against Northwestern and Iowa.

Ok so I looked up the actual play by play. The 2 runs against MSU were 16 of his 27 yards. Neither were wildcat. N. Mexico St and Western Illinois was 5 yards each, not wildcat. These were just drives he was running in mop-up duty (not short yardage formations).

Vs Purdue 1 attempt from wildcat, 0 yards.
Vs Iowa 1 attempt from wildcat, 1 yard. Not sure why we ran it on that one as it was 2nd and 6.

So in 2022, 2 attempts from wildcat with 1 yard gained and zero first downs.

I didn't realize we had abandoned it so much last year. Maybe some day when I'm REALLY bored I'll try to figure out the percentage of 1st downs from 2021. He definitely was used more that season.

2021; we ran it a lot more randomly throughout the game, not just on short yardage 3rd/4th down because we were doing it with the Bucky/Ky jet motion game

Conversions for him (on 3rd or 4th down, not counting the mid range ones of 6 or more yards)
vs BGSU: 2/2
vs Purdue: 4/5
vs Nebraska: 1/3 (but did throw the TD on a 4th down one of the plays after being stopped)
vs MD: 2/2 with a TD
vs NW: 1/1
vs Ill: 0/1 with being stopped on 4th
Vs Iowa: no short yardage attempts
vs IU: 0/1
Had some big moments he was stopped on but also a pretty good conversion rate. But clearly it was a big part of the gameplan when we had Bucky and Ky comboing in the backfield. Last year you obviously trust Mo a lot more to get those yards given his skills.

Not as the starting QB, but as a package QB similar to how he was used the last couple years. Short yardage situations, primarily.

Under Fleck the Gophers have had great success with both Kramer and Seth Green in short yardage conversions. Best in the nation once or twice, I believe.

The ballcarrier was very predictable the last couple games in these situations.
Isn’t he on Facebook or Instagram?

I think the idea that he was ineffective in the extreme has been disproven.

According to this, he has averaged 4.6 yards per carry over his career, which is pretty good. Keep in mind that in college if a QB is sacked on a pass attempt the yards lost are taken from his rushing total, rather than his passing yards like in the NFL.

Again you're using statistics to argue against subjectivity. No chance you win.

Again you're using statistics to argue against subjectivity. No chance you win.

'Win"? Probably not. Although maybe I 'win' (just a little) if I can get him to reconsider, just for a moment, his perception.

If I can get him to think, "Hmmmm... maybe, just maybe, he wasn't really as god-awful at wildcat as I thought he was", I would 'win', in some small way.

The reality is, there are no stakes involved. I really don't care all that much if he or anybody else thinks Cole Kramer was terrible at wildcat. I think that would be a misguided notion, but he probably thinks I've got it all wrong as well. I just wanted to point out a few simple facts that may be of interest on the topic at hand, and hear his reaction to those facts.

I've argued with people here over whether Mitch Leidner stunk, or whether Tanner Morgan was a good QB. I like to hear how people arrive at their conclusions, and I enjoy presenting may case.

Last edited:

Cole should be playing more on the field - he knows the system and was very sharp in the Spring game. I've never understood why PJ doesn't give his reserve QBs some game experience when we are obviously going to win.

Probably because Athan still needs as many reps as possible.

@Word as I prefaced in my post, I'm sure a RB is a better athlete/runner than Kramer is, but I doubt he's like Morgan level pedestrian. At least, that was my understanding about him coming out of EP. (Not that they ran the option, or anything, AFAIK.)

The advantage/wrinkle to having Kramer do it, instead of say Taylor, is that Kramer could legitimately also do an RPO option out of it or even a plain ol' pass.

Again like I was saying in that post, just envisioning it as a package that is called upon now and then.

'Win"? Probably not. Although maybe I 'win' (just a little) if I can get him to reconsider, just for a moment, his perception.

If I can get him to think, "Hmmmm... maybe, just maybe, he wasn't really as god-awful at wildcat as I thought he was", I would 'win', in some small way.

The reality is, there are no stakes involved. I really don't care all that much if he or anybody else thinks Cole Kramer was terrible at wildcat. I think that would be a misguided notion, but he probably thinks I've got it all wrong as well. I just wanted to point out a few simple facts that may be of interest on the topic at hand, and hear his reaction to those facts.

I've argued with people here over whether Mitch Leidner stunk, or whether Tanner Morgan was a good QB. I like to hear how people arrive at their conclusions, and I enjoy presenting may case.
Green was great in the wildcat. Kramer has been good. But we won’t use the No. 2 QB as a wildcat. Too much risk of injury.

No, but the intensity seems unique to Minnesota.

Every Vikings team of the last 30 years, including the one with Randall Cunningham tossing TDs to Moss, had a large, vocal, and influential contingent in the Twin Cities calling for the backup QB.

Granted, I've been part of this club in the matters of Adam Weber and Mitch Leidner.

Lol, Cunningham WAS the backup to Johnson!

Go Gophers!!

I admire your efforts in this era of "what-feels-right" overshadows what is right.

I would love to see Cole get a shot, a lengthy one, against one of the weaker opponents.

You got it. Can’t win with him.

Top Bottom