i know it is june, but kent youngblood has not updated his gopher blog since 4/23/09

Reaction score
this is what the mpls star tribune pays him for?!?! are you f-ing serious?!?! kent youngblood is just plain lazy and has appeared to be that way from day one. not a fan. i would love to have chip scoggins back on as the gopher football beat reporter. that guy actually "put in work". judd zulgad can handle the vikings beat on his own in my opinion and doesn't need chip as his right-hand man over there.

bring back chip! bring back chip!

Kent

He was great last year when he first started, what happened? That's pretty quick to quit being enthusiastic about your job.

Loon and Wren

If everyone let internet poster a-holes affect what they do nobody would ever do anything again. Come on, Ken, just because the negative minority is the loudest doesn't mean the rest of us don't appreciate good coverage.

The blog doesn't need Kent. It is self perpetuating. He adds very little info and substance anyway. And he could care less who posts what.

I go there to have some fun and banter with Wren. I know, that sounds crazy but I've been doing it for years. Bad habits are hard to break!

There is actually some decent football talk between all the garbage.

Is it possible that this has to do with budget cutbacks at the strib? Has Kent written anything else since his last blog post?

Take it easy on Kent - it is the off-season, and I think he does a good job during the season. What I think some people forget is that when football ends, he not only continues to cover football and recruiting, but also women's hoops. I spoke to someone at the Strib, and I'm pretty sure he has to take all of his vacation for the year after the spring game, but before July...especially this year, with the new stadium.

Plus, the paper is changing the way it does time off and people have to use up time that had been previously banked as they won't be allowed to carry it over like in the past. Before you used to be able to hold on to some of your vacation. You could always have up to 150% of your max available at any time. That is changing at the end of 2009 because they are tired of writing big checks for unused vacation when people leave/

That's probably more info that you needed to know, but give him a break - he needs one. The guy pretty much works every single day between August and Thanksgiving, and needs to take time off at some point!

Thankfully he has not updated that blog so people are not easily exposed to the trashy comments below. Now you have to click on about 5 links and scroll down through 1100 comments to read the most recent trash. I view it as the place where people go to post when they are kicked off of every other message board.

Take it easy on Kent - it is the off-season, and I think he does a good job during the season. What I think some people forget is that when football ends, he not only continues to cover football and recruiting, but also women's hoops. I spoke to someone at the Strib, and I'm pretty sure he has to take all of his vacation for the year after the spring game, but before July...especially this year, with the new stadium.

Plus, the paper is changing the way it does time off and people have to use up time that had been previously banked as they won't be allowed to carry it over like in the past. Before you used to be able to hold on to some of your vacation. You could always have up to 150% of your max available at any time. That is changing at the end of 2009 because they are tired of writing big checks for unused vacation when people leave/

That's probably more info that you needed to know, but give him a break - he needs one. The guy pretty much works every single day between August and Thanksgiving, and needs to take time off at some point!

Depending on how much vacation he took in prior years, he probably has about one week left of vacation (if he started right after the spring game).

Maybe it's not a bad thing that he hasn't blogged anythin in 6 weeks. When there is news this time of the year, it's usually negative. Recruiting really doesn't pick up again until the summer camps so outside of stadium updates, the only likely news that comes about right now is about transfers and off-the-field problems. He should have blogged something about Brodrick Smith's departure but that's about it.

Maybe it's not a bad thing that he hasn't blogged anythin in 6 weeks. When there is news this time of the year, it's usually negative. Recruiting really doesn't pick up again until the summer camps so outside of stadium updates, the only likely news that comes about right now is about transfers and off-the-field problems. He should have blogged something about Brodrick Smith's departure but that's about it.

Probably should have had something about the spring game as well. :rolleyes:

At the risk of sounding like a dick, I'm going to throw this out there.

There is often much talk and hand-wringing out here about how the media hates the Gophers and rips the Gophers and is unfair and is biased.

But here we have complaining that they don't write enough about the Gophers.

Having it both ways isn't an option. If the coverage is so "bad," why do you want more of it?

At the risk of sounding like a dick, I'm going to throw this out there.

There is often much talk and hand-wringing out here about how the media hates the Gophers and rips the Gophers and is unfair and is biased.

But here we have complaining that they don't write enough about the Gophers.

Having it both ways isn't an option. If the coverage is so "bad," why do you want more of it?

at the risk of "sounding like a dick", your argument makes absolutely no sense! ;)

it seems that you are trying to state that media coverage & a postive take on a story somehow have to be mutually exclusive from each other. and since they have to be - at least in the minds of minneapolis writers according to your logic above - the media just should not write anything about the gopher athletic programs and basically collect a paycheck for doing nothing?!?! huh?!?!

i guess i am not following.

Bronco,

Here's where I'm going.

There is much bitching about how the media screws the Gophers and is always negative and how the columnists always rip the Gophers.

So.... if the media in this town sucks so bad, why do people complain when they don't write?

In other words, if you want 12 months of the year coverage, then you shouldn't complain if it's not exactly the kind of coverage you want.

Gopher Lady put him out of business

Why? She is timely, accurate, and is well connected. She brings stories to a Minnesota audience that craves information. Heck she has athletes blogging. She always makes the recruit the story and allows the athlete to tell it. She crafts her articles putting the subject in the best light. What more could an athelete or fan want?

I am not sure she didn't take a clue from an early incarnation of Sid, but she is the go to source right now.

If you think that the Trib. does't short change the Gophs. go back and see the front page of the Peach Sports section in the 60's and see what real coverage is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Vikes shouldn't affect that when they play on Sun.

Why? She is timely, accurate, and is well connected. She brings stories to a Minnesota audience that craves information. Heck she has athletes blogging. She always makes the recruit the story and allows the athlete to tell it. She crafts her articles putting the subject in the best light. What more could an athelete or fan want?

I am not sure she didn't take a clue from an early incarnation of Sid, but she is the go to source right now.

Wow. I'm not sure what I did to deserve this compliment? Thank you very much, but like I said, I think Kent does a good job. I am amateur, he's a pro!

Wow. I'm not sure what I did to deserve this compliment? Thank you very much, but like I said, I think Kent does a good job. I am amateur, he's a pro!

Not in the minds of a lot of us here, GL. You have provided a TON more coverage of our beloved team than Kent (although I do like what he posts when he posts), and especially a better job than the so-called "professionals" like Pat, Barriero, Common, etc.

Let's see ... the complaint centers around an essentially free resource that some think should be updated more frequently.

I'd say if you're not happy with the lack of updated information, you should cancel your subscription. Oh wait, it's free. Still, off with their heads!

Let's see ... the complaint centers around an essentially free resource that some think should be updated more frequently.

I'd say if you're not happy with the lack of updated information, you should cancel your subscription. Oh wait, it's free. Still, off with their heads!

please! :rolleyes: the guy gets paid to update a gopher football blog frequently. that is part of his job description. all he needs to do is the job "he gets paid" for (even at the most minimal level which also seems to be too difficult for him) and then voila....no more complaints!

Since he hasn't had a byline since 4/26 (I looked it up)

He is probably on vacation or sabbatical.

Maybe the Strib should have assigned someone to the blog during that time. But to blame Youngblood without knowing the facts is premature.

He is probably on vacation or sabbatical.

Maybe the Strib should have assigned someone to the blog during that time. But to blame Youngblood without knowing the facts is premature.

fine! then i will blame youngblood AND the strib if that makes everyone feel better. don't want to hurt a professional journalist's feeling now do we. :rolleyes:

the guy gets paid to update a gopher football blog frequently. that is part of his job description. all he needs to do is the job "he gets paid" for (even at the most minimal level which also seems to be too difficult for him) and then voila....no more complaints!
Ah, I didn't know you actually had his job description and know what his required duties are.

As I said, just cancel your (free) subscription to the online Strib.

Ah, I didn't know you actually had his job description and know what his required duties are.

As I said, just cancel your (free) subscription to the online Strib.

as usual i don't really care what you said snowman - as it usually is the exact opposite of what i think. it also doesn't change the fact that youngblood (or a counterpart of his) doesn't seem to take much pride in providing frequent and timely information to the followers of gopher football who also happen to read the star tribune and have read it their whole lives. because i expect this i should stop providing hits to their online site (which in turn gives them ad revenue) and stop reading their online stories? brilliant idea......as usual you are the only "smart man in the room snowman".

as usual i don't really care what you said snowman - as it usually is the exact opposite of what i think. it also doesn't change the fact that youngblood (or a counterpart of his) doesn't seem to take much pride in providing frequent and timely information to the followers of gopher football who also happen to read the star tribune and have read it their whole lives. because i expect this i should stop providing hits to their online site (which in turn gives them ad revenue) and stop reading their online stories? brilliant idea......as usual you are the only "smart man in the room snowman".

I really hope will all your complaining that you are atleast a paying subscriber to the Star Tribune.

Top Bottom