I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of Maturi's biggest mistakes

EG#9

Reaction score
I see everyone getting excited for the opening of TCF Bank Stadium, and I still cringe going back to the decision to schedule Air Force for the opening game. Maturi had 2 options when scheduling an opener 1. Schedule a cream puff and enjoy an easy victory to open the stadium or 2. Bring in a big time historic program (Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, etc) that would guarantee ESPN or ABC coverage of the opener, a loss to a historic power wouldn't be that deflating, and a win would be a huge boost. Instead, Maturi chose an option that should never have been on the table, he scheduled Air Force. This is the type of team that could beat Minnesota and give the opener a very sour taste, but the game is still on the Big Ten Network. A win is expected by everyone other than hardcore fans and might not get more than passing mention on SportsCenter. As long as the Gophers win, Maturi (and Brewster to a lesser extent) are off the hook. It's so important to open this stadium with a win and immediately show that things are going to be different on campus.

Way to take a Reusse on everyone's parade! Reusse, can't you set aside the gloom and doom for one night and celebrate what is going to be an awesome day tomorrow?

I am a complainer and I love the selection of USAF.

A patsy would have been the worst. A win means nothing.

A tough team would have been second worst. An ass-kicking vs a top team would have been worthless. Who cares if ESPN picks up the game?

USAF is a team we can beat and if we do we get credit for it and it is pretty cool to get to see AF. I love the choice. There would have been very few better options as far as I am concerned. If we lose, well then this staff probably doesn't have it so lets find out. I think we win. We have to earn a win vs a team that is very beatable. AF is a nice program but if you are a big ten team opening a stadium and have hopes of becoming anything close to a good program you win this game. Nothing wrong with that from a Maturi perspective. I like the choice a lot.

Why is Christmas in one of the coldest months? How lame? I hate Christmas... And puppies.

Air Force presents the perfect opportunity to make this memorable night even more memorable. They are a cool program to play and we can beat them. Brewster and the players bear some responsibility in all this.

Bringing in a power house and getting blown out (84-14 by Nebraska comes to mind.) This would NOT be the way to open the Bank.

Really I've hated this one from jump. The truth is that AFA is a VERY hard team to prepare for. Outside of a top 10 team this was the worst type of opponent for the opener. We are playing a team that requires you to be focused and disciplined to stop them. Because of the opener the team will be ultra hyped and possibly very distracted all week. This team is good enough to beat us but bad enough to make the general public cringe if we lose, meaning we'll lose a lot of momentum. If we're going to have a team like South Dakota St on the schedule, this should've been the week to play them.

I see everyone getting excited for the opening of TCF Bank Stadium, and I still cringe going back to the decision to schedule Air Force for the opening game. Maturi had 2 options when scheduling an opener 1. Schedule a cream puff and enjoy an easy victory to open the stadium or 2. Bring in a big time historic program (Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, etc) that would guarantee ESPN or ABC coverage of the opener, a loss to a historic power wouldn't be that deflating, and a win would be a huge boost. Instead, Maturi chose an option that should never have been on the table, he scheduled Air Force. This is the type of team that could beat Minnesota and give the opener a very sour taste, but the game is still on the Big Ten Network. A win is expected by everyone other than hardcore fans and might not get more than passing mention on SportsCenter. As long as the Gophers win, Maturi (and Brewster to a lesser extent) are off the hook. It's so important to open this stadium with a win and immediately show that things are going to be different on campus.

Bringing in a power house and getting blown out (84-14 by Nebraska comes to mind.) This would NOT be the way to open the Bank.

Really I've hated this one from jump. The truth is that AFA is a VERY hard team to prepare for. Outside of a top 10 team this was the worst type of opponent for the opener. We are playing a team that requires you to be focused and disciplined to stop them. Because of the opener the team will be ultra hyped and possibly very distracted all week. This team is good enough to beat us but bad enough to make the general public cringe if we lose, meaning we'll lose a lot of momentum. If we're going to have a team like South Dakota St on the schedule, this should've been the week to play them.

Powerhouse? Gophers can't win? I hope you guys stay home tomorrow. In fact stay home all season. You are one of the reasons were in the predicament we were in three years ago. Year after year, no confidence from anyone.

A true fan would keep his mouth shut and remain a fool, instead of opening his mouth and taking away all doubt.

Live for this moment, enjoy it. I for one think the Gophers will win and the game will not be in doubt by the fourth.

You can go home any time you want.

And the sports world would have said "Gophers Schedule Another Cream Puff for Opener." And the local media nuggets would have had a field day with our meaningless win over a sub-par opponent.

Jeebus, this is a game we should win. AFA is a very respectable team, but we match up well and should win. If we lose, well, at least we won't be eight games into the season before we realize we're not what we thought we were.

I'm going to go for the negative slant next week. The people who use it seem to really effing enjoy it, so I'd like to understand what the appeal is. :rolleyes:

Me too

And the sports world would have said "Gophers Schedule Another Cream Puff for Opener." And the local media nuggets would have had a field day with our meaningless win over a sub-par opponent.

Jeebus, this is a game we should win. AFA is a very respectable team, but we match up well and should win. If we lose, well, at least we won't be eight games into the season before we realize we're not what we thought we were.

I'm going to go for the negative slant next week. The people who use it seem to really effing enjoy it, so I'd like to understand what the appeal is. :rolleyes:

There is no way we'll beat anyone this year. We permanently suck. Tear down The Bank.

Air Force is a nice program and I really like the chance to get to see them in person. We just spent $300,000,000 on a stadium and sold it out at $50+ a seat. If AF is too tough for us then we are a sad situation. AF could beat us and that is OK. But if we are afraid of AF at this point in Brewster's tenure then please fire him on Monday and start this thing with a guy who can compete with AF. We should win tomorrow. We have the better team. We are playing at home. We are opening a stadium.

Who cares, I think it's a great idea to bring one of our respected service academies in!

I certainly did not mean to be a downer. I think the Gophers can win. My point was Maturi added risk to this game without adding any possibility for reward. This is a total non-issue if the Gophers come out and play a great game.

Air Force is a fine opponent. Now granted that it sounds like Michigan would have been open to coming here for a NON-conference game (and we make a return trip in 2010). Having the opener for the Jug would have been better...but I'm not complaining.

Don't get me wrong, this is a douchetastic post. But I was hoping for one of our historic OOC rivals, like Washington or Nebraska. An Academy is OK by me though. Hell, maybe Pres. O will do the coin toss since he's in town.

Powerhouse? Gophers can't win? I hope you guys stay home tomorrow. In fact stay home all season. You are one of the reasons were in the predicament we were in three years ago. Year after year, no confidence from anyone.

A true fan would keep his mouth shut and remain a fool, instead of opening his mouth and taking away all doubt.
I too want a fan base populated exclusively of elderly Pollyannas.

Live for this moment, enjoy it. I for one think the Gophers will win and the game will not be in doubt by the fourth.

You can go home any time you want.

This might be the dumbest post I've read all week.......

This might be the dumbest post I've read all week.......

No the FIRST post was the dumbest post of the year.

The many reasons why have already been posted. I'd only add that NO actual potential match-up for tonight would have bumped Michigan vs. Notre Dame or Ohio State vs. USC from national TV.

Maturi kept his money, got his seven home games and got a school that will add immensely to the game day atmosphere with flyover, falcon etc.

Great job Joel, now they need to win the damn game!

Hey I definitely don't want a cream puff but this happens to be one of the 4 or 5 hardest teams in the country to prepare for, and one of the 4 or 5 that require the the most discipline to beat. I like the game, I just think this is the absolute worst time to play a team like that, when you're team will be all revved up with emotions

Top Bottom