I have been naive, and my heart is broken

Crosby

Reaction score
I am a long-time season ticket holder. I am a donor and am fairly involved at the U, supporting academic as well as athletic programs. I have lived and died with every football win/loss for the last thirty years and more. But I'm sad to say that all of my support for the football side of the equation stops today. That's not a threat or anything as I am not enough of a "bigshot" to make a huge difference. I am just astounded by the way that this has unfolded.

To me, the main issue is not whether it was harassment, rape, etc. It is not whether these players got appropriate due process. It does not matter to me whether the girl has some fault here. You can argue about all that stuff forever. The real issue, and it is undisputed, is that there was a "train" of young men, apparently lined up to take turns with an intoxicated girl. These same guys were texting about "b**ches," and "h**s" and other equally vile things. Judging by those texts, it's sort of a normal thing for many players. Wow.

Anybody with half a moral compass would not have been there that night and/or would have put a stop to it. After reading that report... don't tell me that these are "character guys." Even if you disagree and go with the idea that "group sex happens all the time on campus" (it doesn't by the way, not in civilized circles) and "we should not judge what consenting adults do" then we have to question the utter stupidity of the players' actions that night. Every one of those kids should have been bright enough to figure out that this was not going to end well. And they should have removed themselves from the siutation. If they did not have the brains to do that, then they are not bright enough to be in college. If that was my son, his a$$ would be back at home already and he would not be participating in football or enrolled at the U any longer. Why? Because he would have shown me that he was incapable of making coherent decisions in a respectful society.

Then to top it off, we had an ENTIRE TEAM, including the coach, showing solidarity over the "lack of due process." Okay... maybe. But that means, by definition, that the players (and coach) all saw no problem with the "train" activity going on that night. Yes... the players said in their most recent statement that sexual harassment and/or sexual violence have no place on the team. Very noble of them. But they stopped short of saying that the activity that night was disgusting and stupid (even if consensual) and that there would be immediate attempts to change the culture. All of this blaming the administration is utter nonsense. Clean up your own house guys. Take some freaking responsibility. Your teammates had a drunken gang bang. Somebody please say something about how that is unacceptable.

If I were a player, and I read a report like that, there is no way in hell that I would stand up for "the brotherhood." I would have called my teammates out and said ... "WTF were you thinking? Your selfish behavior, even if not illegal, put the success of our season and the pride of this university on the line. And you expect me to support you? No way. This sh*t starts getting changed right now." That would be leadership.

But apparently the culture on the team is "stuff like this is okay, as long as we aren't breaking the law." I can't support that mentality and I can't support that culture. I have been naive. I have cared deeply about this program. No more. It obviously operates under a completely different set of moral values than I have. I won't be a part of it, and I certainly won't help fund it.

I hope Washington State wins, and wins big. And it breaks my heart to say that.

while i don't agree with the entirety of your post, i feel your pain and disappointment. i also have heard from a number of die hard, long term gopher fans who share your sentiment that they will no longer support the program.

i hope you and others find a compelling reason to reignite your passion for the program.

Amen, Brother. You've said what the overwhelming silent majority is thinking.

I'm sure Washington State players talk about bitzes and hoez too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been feeling the same way, Crosby. I have been weighing whether or not to cut ties with the Gopher program, because that is the only way I can communicate my disdain for this culture in college football.

Why did you remain a fan after the Dom Jones train? That was actually decided to be a crime by the police and the legal system.

Glad we have yet another thread to share our pain when the first 22 clearly weren't enough.

I'm with you. I grew up a Gopher fan and despite my divided loyalties as a Wisconsin grad, I had season tickets for ten years, and my name is on the side of the stadium as a brick donor. I took my son to watch the team practice in the fall and took him to a game in September. But I'm done now. Also done with GH, which is sad because I think it was one of the best boards around, but I can't come here see people defend the indefensible anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good question. Maybe he'll log in with his other account to give you an answer.

Don't think I have another account but whatever...

I remained a fan because I thought that was an isolated incident, and not condoned by the entire team! Guess I was wrong. And yes... naive.

Come on people, get it into your heads. The boycott had more to do with the players who weren't even directly involved, and weren't even mentioned in the restraining order. It's like you going to work one morning with a note on your desk saying you're fired because of a comment you made in a meeting a few months ago. I would think that you'd be pretty outraged. And when you go to your boss to ask why, they tell you it's a privacy issue, and that's all.

Come on people, get it into your heads. The boycott had more to do with the players who weren't even directly involved, and weren't even mentioned in the restraining order. It's like you going to work one morning with a note on your desk saying you're fired because of a comment you made in a meeting a few months ago. I would think that you'd be pretty outraged. And when you go to your boss to ask why, they tell you it's a privacy issue, and that's all.

yep, I don't know how many times it has to be said that the boycott had nothing to do with saying the behavior that night was acceptable

To me, the main issue is not whether it was harassment, rape, etc. It is not whether these players got appropriate due process. It does not matter to me whether the girl has some fault here. You can argue about all that stuff forever. The real issue, and it is undisputed, is that there was a "train" of young men, apparently lined up to take turns with an intoxicated girl. These same guys were texting about "b**ches," and "h**s" and other equally vile things. Judging by those texts, it's sort of a normal thing for many players. Wow.

Anybody with half a moral compass would not have been there that night and/or would have put a stop to it. After reading that report... don't tell me that these are "character guys." Even if you disagree and go with the idea that "group sex happens all the time on campus" (it doesn't by the way, not in civilized circles) and "we should not judge what consenting adults do" then we have to question the utter stupidity of the players' actions that night. Every one of those kids should have been bright enough to figure out that this was not going to end well. And they should have removed themselves from the siutation. If they did not have the brains to do that, then they are not bright enough to be in college. If that was my son, his a$$ would be back at home already and he would not be participating in football or enrolled at the U any longer. Why? Because he would have shown me that he was incapable of making coherent decisions in a respectful society.

If I were a player, and I read a report like that, there is no way in hell that I would stand up for "the brotherhood." I would have called my teammates out and said ... "WTF were you thinking? Your selfish behavior, even if not illegal, put the success of our season and the pride of this university on the line. And you expect me to support you? No way. This sh*t starts getting changed right now." That would be leadership.

But apparently the culture on the team is "stuff like this is okay, as long as we aren't breaking the law." I can't support that mentality and I can't support that culture. I have been naive. I have cared deeply about this program. No more. It obviously operates under a completely different set of moral values than I have. I won't be a part of it, and I certainly won't help fund it.

+1

I am in the same boat. I am not here to debate any crimes, code of conduct or any he said/she said. However that conduct and disrespect shown is unnerving. These are scholarship people who are getting a free education and maybe they have too much free time on their hands. If any sports team personnel (men or women sports) are more into this kind of thing while representing are school they are more than welcome to leave. I am sure there are many GH posters who will think I am over stepping by calling out morality but I don't care. Its time for people to stand up against behavior unbecoming to our university

Clearly the coaches, whole football team, and entire Gopherhole board are morally bankrupt because they don't agree with me.

Request was for reinstatement of all ten players. Not one word about the idiocy of the players' actions. Not one. That's society today I guess. Blame the girl, blame the administration, blame the committee, ... anybody other than myself.

yep, I don't know how many times it has to be said that the boycott had nothing to do with saying the behavior that night was acceptable

Yeah it has been said a milion times and it's incorrect. The fact that they never acknowledged that the behavior was wrong said enough for me. They were more outraged by perceived "lack of due process" than they were about the disgusitng actions of their fellow players. Tells me volumes.

nailed it....

Request was for reinstatement of all ten players. Not one word about the idiocy of the players' actions. Not one. That's society today I guess. Blame the girl, blame the administration, blame the committee, ... anybody other than myself.

But that's the thing, even if some of them are guilty (in EOAA's eyes), shouldn't the guilty and the innocent have the same due process that should come to them? No matter the outcome, this situation was poorly thought out by the Administration. I see a lot of money in settlements for these players, especially the ones that weren't even directly involved.

But that's the thing, even if some of them are guilty (in EOAA's eyes), shouldn't the guilty and the innocent have the same due process that should come to them? No matter the outcome, this situation was poorly thought out by the Administration. I see a lot of money in settlements for these players, especially the ones that weren't even directly involved.

No, because it was dirty sex and not regular sex. You see those that like the dirty sex don't get due process, they just get our judgement from our moral high ground.

Well, number two was stinky, so maybe they get that too.

Reinstatement...because there was no due process, not because the team approved of decadence. Reinstate. Let due process take place. And, if every player is expelled or suspended, it is clear that due process was taken.
No one should support a kangaroo court with no appeal before judgment falls.

The thing that my mind keeps coming to, again and again, is.....where were the seniors and captains
on all of this???? There was a time when your seniors and captains would have "taken care of" this mess.
Its THEIR team, and they would have brought the solution themselves. Maybe, in this day and age,
there is no longer a thing such a senior leadership, and perhaps captaincy is an outmoded idea in an
emasculated age.

Additionally, the whole notion of sexual ethics has apparently gone right out the door. I'm not naive
enough (but close) to think that stuff like this hasn't happened in other times, but I'm stunned that
it seems so acceptable to many today. Nobody in that room had the mental capacity to step back and say, "this is stupid".

I do agree, based on the limited facts I know, that if there were players physically around the area but unaware
of what was going on they should not have been punished, and they've had months to figure that one out.

As somebody who has been involved in competitive athletics for over 40 years, I wouldn't want to be teammates
with the guys on the "train". I certainly wouldn't want them on my team. That's some seriously damaged characters there. That WILL kill the team on the field eventually.

Additionally, the whole notion of sexual ethics has apparently gone right out the door. I'm not naive
enough (but close) to think that stuff like this hasn't happened in other times, but I'm stunned that
it seems so acceptable to many today. Nobody in that room had the mental capacity to step back and say, "this is stupid".
These gosh darn kids these days with their sideburns and their rock and roll music! Johnny Unitas, now there's a haircut you can set your watch to

They all got letters on what sections of the code of conduct they violated. They were all interviewed by the EOAA. I think they knew why if they didn't why the attempted cover up?

Top Bottom