I Hate Iowa...but Hate Bucky more...

DougMN

Reaction score
It seems to most that Iowa is our bigger nemesis, but I personally hate Wisconsin much more. What is it about Iowa that sets people off? Their fans do not seem nearly as smug or annoying as Bucky's.

Wrong... There fans suck just as much. If it wasn't for he Vikings and packers rivalry I don't think as much hatred would be there for the badgerettes

I think it must come down to personal experience. We had a great experience in Iowa City, but I have met some really smug Badger fans.

I keep telling myself if Gopher Football ever becomes as good consistently as Wisconsin or even Iowa, I won't be smug and take it for granted.

It seems to most that Iowa is our bigger nemesis, but I personally hate Wisconsin much more. What is it about Iowa that sets people off? Their fans do not seem nearly as smug or annoying as Bucky's.

I think it fluctuates between the two but I would actually say it seems like there is more hatred leveled at the Badgers then the Hawkeyes probably in large part because recent history against the Hawks has been ok but that is not the case against the Badgers.

Both programs are what the Gophers are aspiring to at this point. Has always seemed that if Iowa and Wisconsin can win on a consistent basis in the Big Ten then there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to with a similar recruiting base to what those schools are dealing with.

Oops...don't say anything about Wisconsin or you'll type cast as "obsessive " according too Nazi monitors like Ski-u-mah gopher and others . They want everything nice and comfy and no boat rocking because they're afraid the big,bad Badgers will come over here and cause, Oh My!!! Such an uproar.

I think much of the Bucky hate is due to the fact that so many UW-Madison grads move to the Twin Cities to begin their actual lives. Not so much the case for Iowa.

I think for most people, Wiscy is much more hated, mainly because the rivalry extends beyond football. Personally, I hate Iowa more. Iowa is a one trick pony. Cute little farm school in the middle of a sparsely populated state with a good football program. Now with Nebraska in the conference, the Huskers are pretty much the same thing, except that pony does tricks that are a helluva lot better.

I get asked by a lot of people which of the two I hate more. My response has always been "As a state? Iowa. As a school? Wiscy."

I think for most people, Wiscy is much more hated, mainly because the rivalry extends beyond football. Personally, I hate Iowa more. Iowa is a one trick pony. Cute little farm school in the middle of a sparsely populated state with a good football program. Now with Nebraska in the conference, the Huskers are pretty much the same thing, except that pony does tricks that are a helluva lot better.

Cute little farm school that lacks any ag programs.

I hate Bucky more than Iowa but tend to get more pumped up for the Iowa game because we don't always lose to Iowa. The Wisconsin game I generally just watch and hope that it isn't embarrassing. If we ever rattled off 4-6 out of 10 against Bucky, that rivalry would quickly put to shame the cute thing we have going with Iowa.

It's not an either/or world. I believe in equality... Hate them both the same.

Regardless of the Jedi wantabe weirdo

Absolutely!

Hawkeyes fans that live in the Twin Cities love their team and even though they let you know about it loudly those guys and gals are not total a$$hats about it. That and they gave us the Metrodome bathroom chronicles of Feldman and company and tried to take goal posts through revolving doors which really is quite humerous if you think about it, even if that game was a total suck fest. They spend money when they are here and with the exception of kind of being pigs in the tailgate lot's, pick up your own trash people, they are tolerable.
The Becky goofs on the other hand that live in the Twin cities are like the smuggest most arrogant folks you will ever meet. If they are co-workers they bug you at work for tickets when there in town even if they know as a self respecting Gopher fan there is no way you are helping them get tickets to the bank.
They not only tell you about how great the Badgers are they even act like they have some "real" part in the success of the Badgers, that is what makes them dingholes and hard to deal with.
I'm not a Hawks fan by any means but for the most part when I have traveled to Iowa city they have been reasonable fans to deal with and hospitable folks. Badgers fans even the waitresses when your wearing Gopher gear in Madison threaten to tamper with your food and your not sure if they are serious or not, and the A$$hole chants are getting really old. Yes the Wisconsin Becky's are clearly NUMERO Uno for most disliked.

Iowans can not hold their beer. They have no seat etiquette.

I think much of the Bucky hate is due to the fact that so many UW-Madison grads move to the Twin Cities to begin their actual lives. Not so much the case for Iowa.

The most loyal Gopher fans I know are originally from Wisconsin and chose to come to the U rather than UW. They have to deal with delusional friends and family back home that believe that UW is a university on academic par with Harvard and sporting par with Alabama (football)/ Kentucky (basketball).

I am from Minnesota and have to deal with Minnesotans who went UW (most of whom returned to the Twin Cities, funny).

This is what makes me hate Wisconsin more than Iowa. If I had to deal with Hogeye fans regularly I would probably hate them a lot more.

Personally, I've travelled to Iowa City for Gopher football and basketball games many times and never had a bad experience. I can't say the same for Madistan.

Wisconsin is the most hated because Iowa doesn't have hockey or an NFL rivalry.

While I agree with you, this week we play Iowa. With that said,

"Who hates Iowa?, I hate Iowa!!!...

I don't have any hate for the two states. No ill feelings at all. Wisconsin is a great state. Iowa not so much, but who really cares about Iowa in the first place? I do hate the fan base of both football teams though. Wisconsin fans are rude and willing to let that surface at any moment. Iowa fans are rude and can't handle themselves in public. You can talk to the average Wisc. fan although you might not want to for a while after.. There is no talking to Iowa fans-most things go right over their heads. I hate the Wisc. program a lot more than Iowa's, but I do hate the fans of Iowa more.

Memorable moments with both:

Wisconsin guy fan sitting with Mn gal fan (dating) right next to me. By the end of the game I think I had convinced her that she was way out of his league. While he was getting yet another beer I drove home the idea that long distance relationships are a waste of time and that she should find a nice U of M guy to date. They were not talking much when I left my seats. Rhys Lloyd game btw.

New stadium/dumb and drunk (Iowa fan)girl babbling all first half. I was losing my mind having to listen to her but just couldn't bring myself to turn around and get a look. She disappeared for a while and things were golden as the Goph's were winning. She eventually returned and started up again with her buffoonery. I imagined a big beefy thing with overalls on but when I finally turned around....a very hot girl (in overalls) looked at me and mumbled something incoherently. A few minutes later she puked all over herself and had to be carried out. One guy with her apologized to all of us for the hassle and said she was actually from Minnesota. That explained the hot part and karma explained the rest.

Both fan bases think their program is one of the best in the B1G, will compete for a B1G championship every year, and they will let you know about it even if you don't ask. The difference is Wisconsin's team actually does compete for a championship every year and Iowa's does not. This is why I hate Iowa more.

I hate them both. If we lose both games against this year, it is going to be infuriating. Especially if we lose 11 in a row (4 under Kill), to Wisconsin. I'd be curious to know how many (if any) major conference football teams have that kind of losing streak going against their biggest rival.

I think it must come down to personal experience. We had a great experience in Iowa City, but I have met some really smug Badger fans.

I keep telling myself if Gopher Football ever becomes as good consistently as Wisconsin or even Iowa, I won't be smug and take it for granted.

You probably wouldn't, but all the bandwagon jumpers you'd attract would.

And those are the "annoying and smug" fans of almost any program.

Ironically, long-time and long-suffering Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin fans probably have far, far more in common - fan wise and football culture wise - with each other than they do differences.

Actually, U of Minnesota is the "farm" school. What with it's agricultural degree offerings that Iowa doesn't have. Iowa is not a land-grant institution and focuses much more on liberal arts and its professional colleges (law and medicine especially). You'd be hard-pressed to find a more progressive and sophisticated small city (100,000-200,000 pop.) in the entire United States. Did you know the Iowa City is one of only a handful of UNESCO Cities of Literature on the planet and by far the smallest one (others include Melbourne, Dublin and Edinborough).

Here's some interesting reading for you, if you'd like to expand your horizons a bit: Cities of Literature

I'm a Minnesota boy, who now lives in Iowa. Believe me, the Iowa game is the game I want to win the most, every year. Geography has to do more with whether one has a higher level of distain for Iowa or wisky. If you're from the cities, Wisconsin is right across the river, hence the wisky hate. But a guy like me, who grew up 10 miles from the Iowa border... well u see my point.

Iowa easy, but its personal. Went to college in Decorah, Iowa and got a lot of "Minnesota abuse" there, and have obnoxious cousins from Anamosa, IA who are huge Hawk fans.

I hate them both, equally.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Iowa easy, but its personal. Went to college in Decorah, Iowa and got a lot of "Minnesota abuse" there, and have obnoxious cousins from Anamosa, IA who are huge Hawk fans.

Luther College is great. The students suck.

I hate Iowa more because I have relatives there. You'd think this was a 10 time rose bowl champ over the last decade listening to them.

bucky fans can at least back it up........these pig farmers go to a couple of capital one bowls and they think they are all the rage. I can't remember the last time Iowa played in a rose bowl and I'm sure they got their asses kicked when they went.

Iowa hoops blows and their football is average. Yet, you'd think it was the big time. Why do Iowa fans so severely overrate their mediocre programs?

I don't hate their teams as they are so mediocre, what's there too hate? It's the fans.

This is like asking which Sister you'd like to kiss. Hate both the Squackeyes and Fadgers.

Top Bottom