I can hear the chants starting in the barn....Let Royce Play...Let Royce Play....

I thoroughly disagree that players don't contribute to team chemistry, since they are "the team". further, I never said RW would solve all our players' problems, in fact, I quite said the opposite: that he won't be a savior and we shouldn't expect that. although, if team mojo improves, it might be interesting to see what other seemingly unrelated problems disappear (like Westbrook's attitude).

semantics. "disaster" is a tough word, this team has had much worse seasons. however, we should be in a better place than we are right now; we have certainly not lived up to expectations so far. I do think one impact player can make a difference, however, let's all please remember Royce is a Frosh. no matter how talented a player, expecting him to turn this team around single-handedly in B10 play w/out having played an NCAA game yet is a lot of pressure. let's not judge him too harshly if he looks rough around the edges. it would be awesome if he comes out guns blazing...but much like people one here who thought just hiring Tubby was enough to get to the Final 4 in 1-2 seasons, let's not expect Royce to be the player who turns this whole season around and takes us deep into the Dance. if he plays this season, I am just hoping he changes the team chemistry a little and gets us playing more like a team.[/QUOTE]

team chemistry is a product of the coach.. not any one player. how can RW improve it?

for that matter, how can RW improve Colts hands?, Devoe's feet?, Westbrooks vision?, RS3's passion??

DId u just say chemistry is the product of the coach and not any one player? Have u ever been apart of a team activity? It is called team chemisrty for a reason, everyone contributes to it, the coach will only have minimal influence on your chemistry.

DId u just say chemistry is the product of the coach and not any one player? Have u ever been apart of a team activity? It is called team chemisrty for a reason, everyone contributes to it, the coach will only have minimal influence on your chemistry.

then why does bucky always have chemistry... and we never have any???

then how can you know if we do/don't have chemistry?

then how can you know if we do/don't have chemistry?

Not saying we do or do not have chemistry issues. My point is it is a team game and players have more effect on chemistry on and off the court than the HC.

chemistry is built and nurtured by the HC..
it's a combo of personalities and talents... knowing what/how to mix the players, what style to play, how to discipline each player, how to set examples, who to put in charge, who to make the 'go-to' guy, etc..

its not just a random effect coming from a random gathering of 18 year olds.

while the HC has some impact on how random the gathering of 18 year olds is, I think it is indeed an effect of that grouping. the HC can't force a player to be a go-to guy, someone will step up a be the go-to guy. the HC cannot change off-court interactions, the players will either get along or not get along off the court, which may have an impact on how they interact on the court.

I played bball in HS. I played with the same group of players on Freshmen and JV, and some of us made it to my 1st year of Varsity (3 separate coaches) and we worked like a well-oiled machine all 3 years (even though that 1st year of Varsity there were some Seniors who were new to our dynamic). my 2nd year of Varsity was the same coach as the previous year, but some of the girls had graduated and we got some new players on the team. they were obnoxious on and off the court and it completely changed our feel. the coach couldn't really do much about it...it had nothing to do w/ substituting, plays, setting examples. he had the most talented players he could have gotten that year, but once he made those choices it was out of his control. some groupings of people don't mesh well and you can't always predict who will throw off team balance.

since the HC has control of who he brings in, he has control over the chemistry.. a HS coach doesn't have this control.

that's true (although a HS coach still has some control w/in the tryout pool), but there is definitely pressure on a college coach to bring in the best recruits he can. if Tubby passes on hot recruits because he thinks there will be chemistry issues, he will hear endless criticism about his recruiting prowess (unless he's Bo Ryan and can win w/ large mediocre white dudes)

and I stand by the fact that you cannot always predict who might cause chemistry issues once they are on the team. this is at any level of bball.

Some will be really upset (except for those of you who believe mediocre is a positive) when you make the NIT....

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that teams had to qualify for the NCAA tournament by the middle of January. I mean, I should have realized when everybody kept calling it "January madness."

Don't be sorry. This team will not make it to the NCAA tourney unless they win the next 2 out of 3. You might want to look at it like January Madness because our March is today. Have fun watching them in the NIT is all I can say. I hope I'm wrong, I want them in the dance but it likely won't happen.

Top Bottom